Need help choosing resort!

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
Hi all! Planning a trip next May. It will be our third as we have been the last two years in April. We have always tent camped at Fort Wilderness, but we will be adding a baby to the mix and our daughter requested a hotel for the next trip before we even knew about the new baby.

Our must haves are a good pool area! They love the slide and kiddie slides at FW, so at least a moderate is a must. Not opposed to a deluxe if we can find a good deal, but from everything I'm seeing Beach Club is out. So which hotel would you choose?! My top two runners are French Quarter and the Poly if I can find a good deal, I also like the idea of monorail transportation with a stroller. But we would also love to try Wilderness Lodge since it so closely resembles the feel of Fort Wilderness, but its pool area looks less than impressive.

Hi all! Planning a trip next May. It will be our third as we have been the last two years in April. We have always tent camped at Fort Wilderness, but we will be adding a baby to the mix and our daughter requested a hotel for the next trip before we even knew about the new baby.

Our must haves are a good pool area! They love the slide and kiddie slides at FW, so at least a moderate is a must. Not opposed to a deluxe if we can find a good deal, but from everything I'm seeing Beach Club is out. So which hotel would you choose?! My top two runners are French Quarter and the Poly if I can find a good deal, I also like the idea of monorail transportation with a stroller. But we would also love to try Wilderness Lodge since it so closely resembles the feel of Fort Wilderness, but its pool area looks less than impressive.
I would go with POFQ. Your DD will love the waterslide. Its a great pool area. I also love POR (my personal fave). But i think in your shoes i'd go with POFQ.

POFQ is amazing. It's small and compact, which makes the whole trip run a little smoother. We stayed there when our DD was 15 months old and loved it. To make bus rides easier, we put DD in the Ergo and wore her, that way our hands were free for bags/stroller.
For a deluxe, you could try renting DVC points through a company like dvcrequest.com. The Poly pool looks heavenly, we can't wait to stay there one day. And you really can't beat the connivence of a monorail resort if you'll be spending a majority of your time at MK or Epcot.

We LOVED our stay at WL. Transportation was quick and easy. Proximity to MK was a huge plus. Pool was great. Food options are resort were decent. Our upcoming visit we are staying at Poly and super excited about having even closer proximity to MK. :)

Another vote for POFQ- they have a great pool with slide and also a splash area for little ones that's is so fun!
We've also stayed at GF and that has a splash area for little ones (monorail great for not having to fold up the stroller!)

One option that might help with affording a deluxe resort is to do a dvc rental - you can get larger rooms and pretty great rates even compared to what you would pay for a moderate. Check out davids DVC rentals they have a cost calculator calendar so it will give you the price for the time frame you are looking for. As for resorts -- if you are able to do the DVC rental -- i would look at Poly for location (allows 5 in a studio), this way could let you afford BC or even look at AKL which has a good pool and great animal viewing even if you don't get a savannah view.

POFQ is a very nice resort and much smaller than other Disney resorts so it's pretty easy to get around. You mentioned Poly and as much as I love that hotel I rarely see deals with it because it seems to sell out so quickly.

I agree with the PP as well - check out AKL both the Jambo House ( which is the bigger part of the resort ) and Kidani which is all DVC rooms. There are lots of Savannah view rooms too so if viewing the animals are of interest it's a plus. The pools also have the water slides too.

Sorry I have been MIA! Thanks for all the replies...I'm really leaning towards POFQ. We have also looked at staying at one of the values (while we still can with an infant) and doing the water parks option. That way we would have 3 theme park days and 3 water park days. Does anyone see any major pros/cons? Obviously, taking a baby to the water park will present its own challenges but there is a possibility that some extended family would be with us. One of us could also take the baby back to the hotel off and on as needed. The values are themed so cute that I think my kids would love them too, and here in a few years it will be much harder to stay there bc we would need two rooms.

How many kids do you have? Most deluxes can sleep 5 (2Q plus a day bed or pull down bed) plus an infant in a crib/pack and play - so up to 6 if one is a baby. If you can get a good deluxe deal, I would highly recommend it, because the pool areas and food options and transportation to the parks will all be a lot easier. Best deals on deluxes are usually at Contemporary Garden Wing, AKL, and Wilderness Lodge.

Also would suggest a DVC points rental if there is still availability for the time you're going. Although VGF costs more points than many other DVC, it has a sofa bed plus murphy bed, so you could sleep 5 in beds, plus there's actually room for a full size crib in the entry area. And the bathroom is well laid out with 2 showers. Free laundry rooms with DVC rental too (bring detergent pods). The facilities and food at the GF are great, especially if your daughter is princess age: Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare dinner, and princess promenade most afternoons at 3:30 (free).

How many kids do you have? Most deluxes can sleep 5 (2Q plus a day bed or pull down bed) plus an infant in a crib/pack and play - so up to 6 if one is a baby. If you can get a good deluxe deal, I would highly recommend it, because the pool areas and food options and transportation to the parks will all be a lot easier. Best deals on deluxes are usually at Contemporary Garden Wing, AKL, and Wilderness Lodge.

Also would suggest a DVC points rental if there is still availability for the time you're going. Although VGF costs more points than many other DVC, it has a sofa bed plus murphy bed, so you could sleep 5 in beds, plus there's actually room for a full size crib in the entry area. And the bathroom is well laid out with 2 showers. Free laundry rooms with DVC rental too (bring detergent pods). The facilities and food at the GF are great, especially if your daughter is princess age: Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare dinner, and princess promenade most afternoons at 3:30 (free).

2 kids with a baby on the way. At time of trip, kids would be DD6, DS5, and DS (4 months). I'm not opposed to the deluxe, but getting hubby on board to pay the difference is the issue!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter