My wife was blasphemous on our last trip...

Our Disney trips have changed considerably over the decades. When we were in our 20's we went commando style, rope drop to park close. Skipped most shows, parades etc. because ride lines shortened a bit during those times. Our trips were generally short 2-3 days each but we went often.

Now we're in our late 50's. We do not go nearly as often but each trip is 7-10 days. We sleep in on some mornings, take breaks outside the parks for lunch, see most shows, parades etc, and do most of the major rides several times each. Overall, just a much slower relaxing pace.

We do not go nearly as often but each trip is 7-10 days. We sleep in on some mornings, take breaks outside the parks for lunch, see most shows, parades etc, and do most of the major rides several times each. Overall, just a much slower relaxing pace.
This is where we are at now.

Yes, those darn grandchildren, always wanting to race from ride to ride. They never want to just sit on a bench, savour a Mickey bar, smell the smells, watch the birds clean up the popcorn, etc. Don’t know what they are missing!

This year, it will be just DH and me, joined by our grandchildren’s mothers. We will leave no small detail unnoticed, and plenty of large ones ignored.

i feel like I am getting "too old" for RD, commando-style touring that lasts all day into the night. My hubby exhausts me sometimes (he does try to adjust to me if I'm tired but then i feel bad bc I need an hour in AC and I know he could go strong for another 4 hours). My solo trips spoiled me so much. Now, I'd rather go hard for several hours, like 8-12 or 1, but then I'm off to do something else-Disney Springs, nap, off-site shopping, resort pool. Is it possible she is feeling "too old" for whatever style of touring you do, and is just looking for a change-maybe a split Disney/beach stay, more lazy/resort days, late starts (that's blasphemy right there) or something else?

Sometimes with Disney, you feel like you need a vacation AFTER your vacation because you just jammed so much into those few days (plus any travel-travel can just suck the life out of you). I NEED downtime or it's not really a "vacation".

i feel like I am getting "too old" for RD, commando-style touring that lasts all day into the night. My hubby exhausts me sometimes (he does try to adjust to me if I'm tired but then i feel bad bc I need an hour in AC and I know he could go strong for another 4 hours). My solo trips spoiled me so much. Now, I'd rather go hard for several hours, like 8-12 or 1, but then I'm off to do something else-Disney Springs, nap, off-site shopping, resort pool. Is it possible she is feeling "too old" for whatever style of touring you do, and is just looking for a change-maybe a split Disney/beach stay, more lazy/resort days, late starts (that's blasphemy right there) or something else?

Sometimes with Disney, you feel like you need a vacation AFTER your vacation because you just jammed so much into those few days (plus any travel-travel can just suck the life out of you). I NEED downtime or it's not really a "vacation".

We don't go commando. Each time we go, I try to get her involved in the planning so she has more of a stake in the outcome. My plan is always to go early in the morning and break at lunchtime for a nap and/or swim during the hottest part of the day. Then plan for an evening mail and/or catch a nighttime show.
What really happens...she leaves all the planning to me, don't get to the parks until 10:30 or 11am and by 3 we are too hot to continue. Our day is done at this point because we spent too much time in the heat and neither of us want to do anything other than sit in the A/C. Dinner turns into what I can get for take out nearby.

My wife doesn't work, so the after vacation recovery is easier for her. I even get her an ECV. While she uses it, it just pisses her off because other patrons just see it as an obstacle they need to overcome without getting hit.
I try to make the vacation easy by getting non-stop flights so it doesn't turn into a journey and rent a car so we aren't waiting around for transportation.

I'm 64 (65 this September and my wife is 64) and I can't understand being too old for WDW. I thought the reason for going was to reclaim your youth. I usually creak and groan when it is time to get up in the morning. Down at WDW we are up at the crack of dawn and we are both raring for a full day in the parks. We love dancing in the streets with the parade in front of the castle, we do at least 3 character dinners every trip, we stand in line to get hugs from Mickey and anyone else we can find while in the parks. Too old for Disney? That is not possible. It has especially gotton more fun now that we do the trip without any children or grandchildren. They were cramping our style.
DH and I are doing are first trip without children since before we had them. Took both our adult children last November. DD ran us off our feet and DS didn’t want to leave the resort room except for 2 hours in the parks each day and ADR’s. This time we plan to do things on our schedule which will probably be a little slower since we are in our sixties.

We don't go commando. Each time we go, I try to get her involved in the planning so she has more of a stake in the outcome. My plan is always to go early in the morning and break at lunchtime for a nap and/or swim during the hottest part of the day. Then plan for an evening mail and/or catch a nighttime show.
What really happens...she leaves all the planning to me, don't get to the parks until 10:30 or 11am and by 3 we are too hot to continue. Our day is done at this point because we spent too much time in the heat and neither of us want to do anything other than sit in the A/C. Dinner turns into what I can get for take out nearby.

My wife doesn't work, so the after vacation recovery is easier for her. I even get her an ECV. While she uses it, it just pisses her off because other patrons just see it as an obstacle they need to overcome without getting hit.
I try to make the vacation easy by getting non-stop flights so it doesn't turn into a journey and rent a car so we aren't waiting around for transportation.

I think a cruise might really be the best answer- do a full DCL cruise (even instead of WDW at all) one year. Or alternate each year. You get your Disney fix, but the cruise years sound like that might suit her more. Less walking around, you get the ocean breeze, easy for one of your to peace out for a bit and head back to your staterooms, you get some adventures with the ports (which she can join, or not, if desired)...

The only thing that would ever stop me from Disney is my health. My mother loves Disneyland but her health no longer permits her to go. She was in her early 60s her last trip.

Switch it up. We no longer go for a week like we used to. We use some of that money to go on Norwegian cruises. Something that we would never have considered before.

Because the wife would never allow me to come without her. The closest I get is when I book her a spa day and I get to the park on my own.

Oooo! That’s harsh! That whole “allow” part would inspire me to be defiant and go anyway.

And...that’s probably why I’m still not remarried!! Lol

“Allow”...pish posh!

DW & I are 64 this year and we love WDW as much as ever. We used to do commando style touring but now that we go a couple of times a year we tour at a much more relaxed pace. We joined DVC about 10 years ago and that has also made a difference because hanging out at the resort is a lot of fun.:earsboy:

Change it up! Different touring style, different park, different hotels ...

DS went to Disneyland Paris (solo) and loved it! Train straight from airport to Disney. Then train straight from Disney to Paris. You can do Disney there in a couple days, then spend rest of time in Paris. Great 2 for 1 trip she might like. If you are flexible, can go off times like fall you can get a great airfare rate. DS paid $394 RT.

The first time my wife and I went to WDW was 1994, we were both in our early 30's. We've been back about 10 times since then. Last year when we were there I was worried she was getting tired of WDW so I asked her if that was the case. She looked at me with a straight face and said "Yeah I'd much rather be at work than in Disney World eating, playing and relaxing". She added, "besides if I didn't want to come, you'd come without me" I had to laugh and say, yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter