My take on new AP best rate program

SueEllen

<font color=red>Proud Iced Tea Snob<br><font color
So we have all had a few days to take in the new Best Rate Guarantee program and I just wanted to offer my opinion and take on the plan.

First, I do not foresee Disney discontinuing their current AP room rate booking system. (let's hope I don't have to eat my words later.) I also do not "blame" anyone for this new system. I think it is a potentially good new plan offering. I see it as an ADDITIONAL offering for passholders, not a replacement.

What I DO think is that Disney was trying to find a way to help those that wanted to be sure to get passholder rates applied if/when they come out without having to be on the phone to CRO every day calling to see if they are available.

So the *masterminds* (if that is what you want to call them :sad2: ) got together and decided to roll out this new program. Let's find a way for our annual passholders to be guaranteed the AP rate on their reservation (should they be released) without having to call every day to see if they are out yet.

So what they did was try to come up with a way to do this. I think that the non-refundable discount is their way of prevening someone from booking 3 or 4 of these "guaranteed" lowest rates and then canceling the ones they don't want once they see the rates. It is a more accurate way of determining the room inventory for AP discounts (knowing that these AP holders are there and would be likely modifying their reservation anyway.)

Do I think this is a good program? Well it has its benefits as well as its downfalls.

I think it is a great program for the person who is certain of their travel dates, does not mind paying rack rate if a discount does not come available, and doesn't want to have to worry about calling to appy the discount if it comes available.

I think it is a bad program for those that are unsure of the resort they want, not positive of the dates they want to travel, or just cannot afford to pay rack rate at a particular resort (say a deluxe.) For this type of person maybe they can only afford the rack rate at a moderate resort, but if good AP rates come available at a deluxe making the rate similar to rack at a moderate they can change resorts. I often see this exact scenario. That type of person will not benefit from this program.

I really think this could be a good program and it does have potential. There are a number of passholders who are "falling through the cracks" with the 120 day window and also the expiration dates on their annual passes, so it does need some work. I think Disney is trying to find the best way to offer their passholders a new way to get discounts.

I think it is very possible that this will limit the number of rooms available at an AP rate (because obviously they have to allow for enough discounted rooms to fill the best rate rooms) but I don't think it will eliminate the regular AP discounted room bookings.

Let's give it some time and see how it plays out. I'm hoping for the best :rolleyes1

Sue Ellen

I don't think this is a program to "help" passholders or reduce calls. It's just another lure to get people to plunk down a non-refundable deposit 120 days ahead of time. End of story.

If you book online with the AP 'best rate' program - it only shows you the rack rate - not a discounted rate for a WDW resort ?

Then you are gambling with rate rate you are paying ? A bit insane.

At 3 months before a WDW vacation - AP rates normally are out.
So are AAA rates and most other discounts.
So there would not be any other discounts applied.

If all AP rooms are taken - then you have a AP 'best rate' reservation at rack rate ? This could happen in June/July/August.

It does not say you are guaranteed a discounted AP rate - correct ?
And you would be stuck with a 'best rate' of rack rate !
That is not a discount at all.

So what is Disney doing if only a rack rate is shown for the AP adult ticket holder's WDW resort reservation ?

I may be a bit confused with the program.
We only have vouchers for a 2006 summer vacation. I am 245 days away
from testing the web-site - if they allow AP vouchers.

susy said:
I don't think this is a program to "help" passholders or reduce calls. It's just another lure to get people to plunk down a non-refundable deposit 120 days ahead of time. End of story.

i don't think that's legal..bait and switch comes to mind. If they say they will discount the room, they have to. How much of a discount is another question, and i think that there are many unanswered questions that hopefully will be addressed very soon. it would be bad business to hold people liable for rack rate if lower rates are offered...and despite what people think about disney trying to take advantage of AP holders, i think it's the opposite. AP holders are disney's bread and butter and they know that. think about the new offers...DDE membership, discounts on hard ticket events (MNNSHP and MVMCP), the Cirque discount, etc. They would never alienate that consumer group, they just aren't offering what people have become accustomed to in the wake of 911.

Sue Ellen, I agree with you.

srfrgrl07, I agree with you too except I often see people mention 9/11. To my memory, we were often able to get awesome AP rates prior to 9/11. I think they have decreased partially because of the abuse and partially because WDW doesn't need to discount as much currently.

But otherwise I think you make great points about those who actually are AP holders.

I think people forget that the economy was starting to fall apart before 9/11. Disney starting laying off workers earlier in 2001. I know my company stock was dropping before 9/11, 9/11 pushed it even farther down.

I'm not sure why they came out with this program. I think part of it was trying to stop the constant calling. You pluck down your deposit and you are guaranteed the best rate IF one comes out later. No need to keep calling. You can't hold multiple reservations and then cancel the ones you don't want while trying to decide. I personally would not book it unless there was a reasonable discount available when I booked it. Right now they have discounted rates in the system up to December.

Here is what I was told today and what happened to a friend of mine

I was told that if the rate is available on the passholder page then you get that rate. If the rate comes back as full rack rate they are not going to lower your rate to the passholder rate when it comes out. I was told this by 3 different cast members

A friend of mine booked hers on Sunday at rack rate with the thought that Disney would offer the better rate if it became available for her dates in late November. She called and spoke to several people and also to a guest service supervisor who told her that it is not the way it is going to work. If the rate is available it will show up on the website if it is not there it will not be automatically updated to the lower price if it should become available at a later time. The supervisor was very sure about this so much so that they allowed her to cancel her reservation without any penalties because she told them that it wasn't how she thought this was supposed to work.

So what have others gotten as answers to this?

I was able to book a room at POP for Dec at $59 a night plus tax. The rack rate is $77 a night plus tax. So right there I already have a savings and the actual AP rates have not been released. If they are lower then the $59 a night I will get the lower rate but if the actual ap rate is $59 I will not have to make any calls. RIght now all of my nights were available at the $59 rate, that does not always happen that way when you are calling to adjust to an AP rate.
So yes I am a happy camper, this new program worked for me.
Alot of resorts were showing some sort of discount off the rack rate, some only had certain views available.

AND Yes early DEC is busy, its MOUSEFEST time.

Just like Magical Express, give it some time before you can see the benefits.

Thanks,
Lori

SueEllen said:
I also do not "blame" anyone for this new system. I think it is a potentially good new plan offering.

Sue Ellen
I'm glad you mentioned this SueEllen. Too many threads have tried to "blame" people for using the system Disney has created to save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Some have even tried to blame this site for the change because people have found out how to "beat the system" here.

Please. While I have never used an AP discount, I have gotten information here that has saved me thousands of dollars on room rates. I am grateful for this site and the many people who have shared valuable information. Our family has enjoyed nicer accommodations and longer stays because of information I found here.

It's a shame people need to assign blame when no rules are broken by those getting discounts. They're spending thousands of dollars on their vacations at WDW, and I don't think Disney minds that one bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter