My Solo Trip - Notes

Scarlet_J

Mouseketeer
Reason for the trip: 1) I wanted to experience Disney in a different way. To be able to stop and notice the details, do the Keys to the Kingdom tour, to be able to watch how the parks run. 2) I wanted to do it MY WAY. Be there before rope drop everyday, eat the food I want, do the rides and attractions I want.

As for reason #1 - The tour was excellent. I loved the history and the details about how the park runs and functions. There were definitely things I did know, but I learned a lot too.

One of my favorite moments was getting to MK and being one of the first people let in at 8am. I got a coffee without any line and just wandered around Main Street and the Hub listening to the happy Main Street music. I took some interesting pictures, noticed some of the architecture and windows on Main Street, and people watched.

As for reason #2 - I got up at 5:30 every morning. I was at the gates before the sun was up each day. I loved the quiet, I loved just being there. I did a whole bunch of thrill rides that my family wouldn't do. I got to wander around the world showcase at my own pace. I sat through the Hall of Presidents. I walked from Tomorrow Land to Adventure Land just for a dole whip.

My general notes on being solo:

1) I fully expected to want to be back in the hotel room at or just after dinner. I usually need some "down time" in the evening whether it's watching tv or just reading. But I just kept going. I think that since I wasn't talking all day, or managing everyone else's needs, I just had so much more energy. I wasn't mentally drained.

2) Using the 4th FP and on was great. I'm sure looking for only 1 person helped my options. Plus, I had no problem crossing back and forth through the parks. I just went from one ride to the next with little wait.

3) I had a few awkward moments because I was solo, but nothing too major. For example, I ate breakfast at Garden Grill. I gave Mickey a hug then went to get my phone for a picture and he just ran off to the next table. It was also hard to not just look at other people while I was in line. I tried not to stare or anything, but I did get some side glances. But I also met some nice people who I could chat with for a few minutes here and there.

In conclusion, the trip was amazing. I wouldn't do it again anytime soon because my kids are still fairly young and it was hard to leave them for so long. But it was such a great trip.

:) Your last paragraph almost scared me, but I understand leaving young kids behind.
If it means NOT going or having to go Solo, SOLO it is. I've considered it for awhile and really think it'll happen. Thanks for your review!

I did semi-solo a couple of years ago. I left for WDW on Thursday morning & my kids (in high school then) flew out after school on Friday to meet me. They then flew back home Sunday night & I went home Tuesday night.

Because of Magical Express it was so easy for them to come & go on their own. Plus they are experienced travelers & know their way around an airport.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

I really appreciate your report! I have been thinking about doing a solo trip for maybe a couple days before or after other things in Florida, and this confirms that is it a great way to really appreciate details of the parks.

I personally would probably stick with just QS, as TS would be awkward in my opinion, and the cost somewhat prohibitive.

Did you end up "explaining" to anyone why are doing a solo trip while there? That is another thing which seems sort of awkward to me.

Thanks!

Doing 2 days solo for the first time ever before everyone meets me in September and CANNOT wait for it. It sounds like most of the stuff you enjoyed doing alone is exactly what I'm looking for. Good report, makes me feel at ease for my trip.

I have done 7 solo trips to Disney and have another planned for the end of November for 8 nights. The longest I went for was 2 weeks. My solo trips have been much more exciting than the one time I went with family. I can do whatever I want, when I want without thinking about what others want to do although it was fun to go with my nephew who was 6 at the time.

I'm so glad my report was helpful to some of you. This forum was so helpful to me going into my trip.

Did you end up "explaining" to anyone why are doing a solo trip while there? That is another thing which seems sort of awkward to me.

Thanks!

No one ever asked, but I was definitely careful about how I said things, just from a safety standpoint. If it ever kind of came up, I might say "I'm on my own today", or "Its just me for right now." No one had to know I was alone for the whole trip. My family could just be on another ride, or resting at the hotel. But like I said, no one asked. No CM was ever weird about it whether I was at a M&G or at a restaurant or saying "1" for the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter