My situation. Is DVC For me?

If the CM discount is pretty good, you may look at buying a 150 to 160 point contract at Copper Creek direct and a similar sized resale somewhere else. Then you can bank/borrow your way to stay at either spot each year, or rent off the points on your resale from time to time if you aren't going to go yearly. If you're fine with split stays then maybe just 100 at CCV and a 200 somewhere else would work well for you.

If the CM discount is pretty good, you may look at buying a 150 to 160 point contract at Copper Creek direct and a similar sized resale somewhere else. Then you can bank/borrow your way to stay at either spot each year, or rent off the points on your resale from time to time if you aren't going to go yearly. If you're fine with split stays then maybe just 100 at CCV and a 200 somewhere else would work well for you.
The last I saw the CM discount was 20% discount, no other incentives, you couldn't rent and there were consider restrictions on resale. It was also open to close family of the CM as well. Granted this was 2-3 years ago so it could have changed but likely not in principle. I'm pretty sure that DVC employees are restricted from renting anyway.

The last I saw the CM discount was 20% discount, no other incentives, you couldn't rent and there were consider restrictions on resale. It was also open to close family of the CM as well. Granted this was 2-3 years ago so it could have changed but likely not in principle. I'm pretty sure that DVC employees are restricted from renting anyway.

Ok, I figured they could rent out points on a resale contract if not restricted by terms of employment. Admittedly I am ignorant of the what those restrictions might be; just throwing out ideas.

20% discount that is still not worth it. Assuming the limitations and restrictions only apply to the direct points why not just buy resale and add 25 points direct and get the 20% discount on those points.

I really hope that DVC gives a better discount than 20%

As I once told my boss when he offered me a 5% raise, thanks but give that 5% to someone who cares or really need it, I want a minimum of 10%, if not here is my resignation. Within the week I got my 10%. Left the company within a year and doubled my salary.

Point is if DVC can't give you what you want, then go buy resale.

Not sure if it has been said already. Your frequency of visits and room arrangements make perfect sense to buy if you are interested.

Start with what resort(s) you want.

Price out what you're willing to spend.

You can always sell a contract later if you want to downsize, but, that probably won't happen. You can also rent extra points.

Look at all that info and map out what fits, direct/resale, points, etc

In your case, I'd be looking for a contract of 200 points and an additional contract for 100-150. When you downsize later, I expect you'll continue to want to stay in a 1BR, so you'll want that 200 point contract. Due to the size of your family, and the discount currently given (but not guaranteed forever) for Annual Passes, a 25 point add-on direct contract may save you money going forward.

If you are only staying in studios, maybe DVC isn't the least expensive choice, do the moderate resorts allow 5 people?

:earsboy: Bill

If you are only staying in studios, maybe DVC isn't the least expensive choice, do the moderate resorts allow 5 people?

:earsboy: Bill

As a family of 5, we usually stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Some of their rooms have a pull-down Murphy bed. The only problem, at least in my opinion, is the size of that bed. It's might be a twin, but it seems smaller. My taller boys were too big for it. It's perfect for families with smaller kids, though!

I think the Caribbean Beach has the Murphy bed, too.

Ok, I figured they could rent out points on a resale contract if not restricted by terms of employment. Admittedly I am ignorant of the what those restrictions might be; just throwing out ideas.

20% discount that is still not worth it. Assuming the limitations and restrictions only apply to the direct points why not just buy resale and add 25 points direct and get the 20% discount on those points.

I really hope that DVC gives a better discount than 20%

As I once told my boss when he offered me a 5% raise, thanks but give that 5% to someone who cares or really need it, I want a minimum of 10%, if not here is my resignation. Within the week I got my 10%. Left the company within a year and doubled my salary.

Point is if DVC can't give you what you want, then go buy resale.
I'm going from memory and other people's reports. The last thing I could find online for this was 2012 and it matched my understanding. My understanding is that the last restrictions I saw reported were as above, 20% discount with no other incentives, rental and resale limitations. But it was open to family of the CM as well. I'm fairly certain that DVC employees can't rent regardless as a condition of employment, which makes sense because they could have an unfair advantage securing reservations. Whether 20% is enough to push one retail depends on specifics. It's better than most could do on the newer properties and often on smaller contracts. I'm thinking it used to be higher but not sure how high (? 25 or 30% but pretty sure it's wasn't any higher.

We're a family of 5 and have 250 AKV points. This is enough for at least a week in a standard 1B, with points leftover. Our girls share the pullout couch and our son sleeps on the chair. This arrangement works for us and I don't really see us going to a 2BR. If the kids don't like it when they get older they can stay home :-)

We stayed in Savannah view rooms twice, but found that it wasn't really necessary, but with banked points we can do standard/savannah or add more days, whatever. It gives us some flexibility since we go down every year and I don't have to worry about banking/borrowing to make one trip. We have 1 200 point contract and 1 50 point contract, so we could always sell one of them down the road if our usage patterns change.

Mostly though I came to say that I'd probably go with 1 BRs over studios because they're going to be more comfortable for 5 people, especially as kids get older and bigger. We like the OKW rooms because they are the biggest, but the AKV 1 BRs have two bathrooms which turns out is more important than one might think.

Just be prepared.... Regardless of how you plan to travel prior to your purchase, you may feel that is not often enough once you experience membership. :). That's why we get "addonitis"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter