My situation. Is DVC For me?

BraveLittleToaster2

DIS Veteran
We typically take one Disney vacation every 12-24 months on average. We like to stay for 10 days at a time. We are a family of 5, so we try to currently stay in 1 bedrooms that have the extra sleeping chair, however, buying into DVC we may need to only book 2 bedrooms to fit everyone. (We dont want to cram into a studio)

That is our situation right now, which I would assume we would need around 300 points a year for...give or take.

However, when our children get older we may not require as much space and may need to downgrade to staying in Studios...perhaps 15 years from now or so.

Would we be able to lower our contract at that point since we likely wouldn't need as many points??

A contract's size remains constant; you cannot increase or decrease the number of points within a contract. HOWEVER -- you can own multiple contracts, each a smaller portion of your 'portfolio,' allowing individual contracts to be sold off at some future date should you wish to downsize.

If you need ~300 points for a 10 day stay every 24 months, consider buying a total of 150-175 points via two or three contracts. This yields 300+ points every other year.

A contract's size remains constant; you cannot increase or decrease the number of points within a contract. HOWEVER -- you can own multiple contracts, each a smaller portion of your 'portfolio,' allowing individual contracts to be sold off at some future date should you wish to downsize.

If you need ~300 points for a 10 day stay every 24 months, consider buying a total of 150-175 points via two or three contracts. This yields 300+ points every other year.

If you do this, then which resort would you be able to book 11 months out? If you need all your points from both contracts to book it?

Some DVC 1 bedrooms will fit 5 but yes, would be more cramped than a 2 BR :stitch:. I'd recommend splitting the points (so 3 100 or 120 point contracts) all at the same home resort with the same use year. That way you could use all at the same time to book your current family vacations and down the line either sell them off in smaller units OR will one to each of your children. Best thing to do to figure out how much you need is look at the point costs of the time of year you prefer to go in the villa you prefer to stay now. Example - a Savannah view 2 bedroom at AKL is 317 points for a week during Dream season (mid price point) so for a 10 day stay you'd need more than that if you want to go every year but should be fine if you want to go every 1.5 to 2 years.

If you do this, then which resort would you be able to book 11 months out? If you need all your points from both contracts to book it?
If the multiple contracts are all under one master account, with same resort and same UY, then there is zero trouble using the total pool of points at 11 months at the home resort. If you have contracts from two home resorts, under one master account with same UY, then the points may be pooled at 7 months but not at 11 months. In this situation (multiple home resorts), remember that all points retain their own home resort status. You may bank/borrow within each contract to gain a larger reservation every other year but you cannot merge points from across the different resorts until w/in the 7 month window.

Having multiple contracts does not, on its own, imply multiple home resorts. I have three contracts all with same resort, same UY, all under one master account.

I've read other places that Copper Creek is expensive and not worth the points. My reasoning for possibly going with it is #1 I like the feel of the resort and we've stayed at the lodge before and love the lobby and transportation options. #2 I hesitate to buy something cheaper like key West, when I won't likely ever want to use my points there. I worry I wouldn't get any of the resort I want at the 7 month mark.

How hard is it to get boardwalk resorts ( 1 or 2 bedroom), bay lake, or wl at the 7 month mark?

I've read other places that Copper Creek is expensive and not worth the points. My reasoning for possibly going with it is #1 I like the feel of the resort and we've stayed at the lodge before and love the lobby and transportation options. #2 I hesitate to buy something cheaper like key West, when I won't likely ever want to use my points there. I worry I wouldn't get any of the resort I want at the 7 month mark.

How hard is it to get boardwalk resorts ( 1 or 2 bedroom), bay lake, or wl at the 7 month mark?
You run a busy household of 5 and likely have to work around school schedules. Go with what makes you happy and gives you peace.

We've owned SSR since 2004 and use the points all over the system. We've been very fortunate at the 7 month window but often book 1BR units which are considered the least demand unit size. For stays in CA/HI, we can book "whenever" -- going when we find space available rather than trying to lock down certain dates.

1BR is easiest, keeping in mind that BWV, BCV and VWL do not have sleep spaces for 5 in their 1BRs, it's BYO for the 5th. That said, if you want to travel in fall, not easy, even for a 1BR. From late January to August, you should be able to get one of those resorts, if flexible. I think BCV and BWV will continue to get tougher at 7 months when Rivieria goes online.

Depends on the resort and the time of year, eg, BWV and BCV are impossible during Food & Wine Festival time (Sept-Nov). You also said that you want to stay 10 days at a time. Now, that might be an issue. You might be forced into a split stay (usually 2, maybe 3 different resorts in your trip period). I would pick a resale contract at one of BCV, BWV, BLT or Boulder Creek (VWL) (whichever one you see yourself staying at the most) to concentrate points at so you will always have that resort. Then, every trip book it at 11 months. Next, cancel and re-book at 7 months at the resort you have in mind to stay at in the first place. There will be point differences and you have to be careful about borrowing (not to loose points moved into the current UY on the cancellation if the points total is less on the rebook). This strategy guarantees you have a place you like during the exact time window you want. If you get 10 days in a row elsewhere, then you have scored big time. If you can only get 6 days at your target resort then at least you have a favorite home resort to stay at the other days. Disney will take care of moving your baggage on any split stay.

the answer to your question is it depends on the time of year you're going. 2 BRs book about as fast as studios and 1 BRs book third fastest.

see the link below for a general sense of booking HISTORY. Things will change with every new resort that comes online.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...tudios-some-1-bedrooms-prepared-2015.3419112/

Thanks everyone!

We typically visit at the end of August because our kids are at an age where we cannot pull them out of school anymore. So we would always be planning for that week OR possibly April vacation, which we have not yet ever done.

Fall is out for us...at least for the next 12 years or so, so we don't need to worry about that time frame.

We typically take one Disney vacation every 12-24 months on average. We like to stay for 10 days at a time. We are a family of 5, so we try to currently stay in 1 bedrooms that have the extra sleeping chair, however, buying into DVC we may need to only book 2 bedrooms to fit everyone. (We dont want to cram into a studio)

That is our situation right now, which I would assume we would need around 300 points a year for...give or take.

However, when our children get older we may not require as much space and may need to downgrade to staying in Studios...perhaps 15 years from now or so.

Would we be able to lower our contract at that point since we likely wouldn't need as many points??
Since you already stay on property in 1 BR with a timeshare then it likely is if you can afford it (pay cash) and will plan 7-11 months out. The other issue is how many points. In this situation if you cut it close for the 1 BR and don't buy any extra, you'll likely be fine for the long haul. Depending on time of year, resort and villa type; that might be more in the 250-270 range. Maybe 250 or so resale and 25 retail or something in that vein.

Thanks everyone!

We typically visit at the end of August because our kids are at an age where we cannot pull them out of school anymore. So we would always be planning for that week OR possibly April vacation, which we have not yet ever done.

Fall is out for us...at least for the next 12 years or so, so we don't need to worry about that time frame.

There is a big points differential between end of August and April vacation, and very different ease of getting resorts, even with the very high points for April vacation (assuming it's around Easter). If you stick more with August, you'll need fewer points; or, go once in a while in April and go for a shorter time.

For 10 days in a 1 BR (Savannah view at kidani), you'd need about 310 points for last 2 weeks of August. I'd aim for at least 300 points, so that you'd have enough to go every year. If you don't go, rent the extra out or bank them and use the extras to stay in a 2 BR.

Or do what the rest of us end up doing. Get APs and go 2+ times a year.

:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter