my newest obsession...cricut and vinyl

Mickeyherewecome123

DIS Veteran
Hey all,
Just wanted to stop by and post a pic of the project I just completed.
002-4.jpg

This is a tile I made for my friend and its all the grandkids names on the tile.

and here is another
004-6.jpg

This is a set of 4 coasters I made.

I'm having a blast making all these tiles with my Cricut and some vinyl that I purchased at a sign shop.

Thanks for looking.
Fran

here is a link to my facebook come on over and become and fan!!

Wow, those are absolutely gorgeous! Tell me more please. I have a Cricut (but it is one of the older ones). How would I do this? Is there a special type of vinyl? How do you get it to adhere to the tile? Do you seal it some way?

Ok, that's probably enough questions to start but seriously they are gorgeous!
April

The vinyl can be found at any craft store in the cricut section. They have lots of colors... it's done just the same as the scrapbooking stuff.. The vinyl is just peel and stick after you cut it..

As for on the tile.. I'll allow the OP to answer and clarify as I have no knowledge on that.

Oh how neat, I guess I have never looked before. Thank you so much, I will check out the cricut section soon!

Is the vinly like contact paper or is it thicker or thinner? I have some contact paper that I used to cover some canisters in my kitchen and would like to use this same design to cut out shapes for other things. Is it the same?
I don't have a cricut but my friend does and I wouldn't ask her to cut something unless it is ok to use. Wouldn't want to ruin her cutter.

Is the vinly like contact paper or is it thicker or thinner? I have some contact paper that I used to cover some canisters in my kitchen and would like to use this same design to cut out shapes for other things. Is it the same?
I don't have a cricut but my friend does and I wouldn't ask her to cut something unless it is ok to use. Wouldn't want to ruin her cutter.

You can actually use contact paper instead of vinyl. Thats how I got started, I used contact paper to experiement. It worked great.
Right now I am using Avery 6 year vinyl I purchased from a sign shop near my home. But there are plenty of places online that you can purcase the vinyl. Cricut has their own vinyl (very expensive) but you can buy Oracal 651 and its pretty much the same as the Cricut vinyl.

My only problem with the Cricut vinyl was it didn't come off of the transfer paper easily. The Avery vinyl I'm using now comes off flawlesly.
If you have any other questions PM me. And check out youtube there is a bunch of how to cricut and vinyl videos that will totally help you out.

Have fun!!
Fran

I have a vinyl cutter and I love to play around with it! I don't think there's a room in our home that doesn't have something vinyl'ed!

For cheap vinyl check out www.uscutter.com or signwarehouse.com

As far as the tiles, you can put polyurethane on it to give it a nice clear shine, or just leave it like it is. It shoudl be just fine! I like to coat anything like that with some poly though to make it last longer!

What kind of vinyl cutter do you have?
I have been cutting my vinyl with myCricut, but been thinking I might want to invest in something bigger.

I have a vinyl cutter and I love to play around with it! I don't think there's a room in our home that doesn't have something vinyl'ed!

As far as the tiles, you can put polyurethane on it to give it a nice clear shine, or just leave it like it is. It shoudl be just fine! I like to coat anything like that with some poly though to make it last longer!

It's a Pcut, 24 inches. I love it. I'm thinking of investing in something larger so I can print graphics now though.

WHOA! I knew of USCutter.com and almost bought a vinyl cutter from them, but never looked into their vinyl supply section. I've always ordered from SignWarehouse.com because based on my research they had the best prices compared to most. But I'm now seeing that USCutter is less! Looks like by a few cents to $2.00 per item, but $9.99 flat rate shipping, and no tax (Signwarehouse does not charge tax outside of Texas) - any savings helps since things add up so my next order will be with them to try them out.

I order Oracal 651, and they have the application tape I use so I'll try that too. But I am noticing that SignWarehouse has more sizes, I often use 8 inch width rolls of both vinyl and application tape which I see USCutter does not have. But most of my work is with 15 inch rolls with USC does have.

Total cost for a roll of Gold from USC is: $15.49 , it's $17.50 at SignWarehouse. - OK so at this point I'm just kind of thinking out loud! :rolleyes1

For anyone interested in upgrading to a larger vinyl cutting machine do your homework and research first. Very tempting to buy a generic Chinese brand cutter because their prices are a lot lower, but you may run into issues down the road - happened to me! If you want something for yourself that you will occasionally use, then a generic cutter will probably be ok. If you want to start a little business on the side or sell things on eBay or fleamarkets, you should invest in something more reliable and trusted.

Before buying any machine, you'll want to research its parts and accessories to see how much the replacements will be - everything from the cutting strip, pen/blade holder if you loose yours, and especially the cutting blades.

There's a great forum that constantly gets questions from beginners who are just starting out and are wondering what and where to buy, so there's plenty of information! :

There's two helpful sections - Machine info:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/vinyl-cutters-plotters-transfers/

Vinyl material, "how to" and "where to":

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/vinyl-signs-decals/

There's also different types of vinyl with different strengths and lifespans, so research that before ordering. I'm very chatty when it comes to vinyl and I did a ton of research before starting out and learned a lot along the way, so if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and help :teacher: .

***** Oh and by the way. If you visit any website, and they are selling Oracal vinyl color charts - you can request the same chart for free from the Oracal website. This would be handy if you plan to order rolls of different colors often.

Oh goodie! Something else to play with on my new cricut!

OP: I love your tiles! So creative!

ALL: Thanks for the links and information!

-- Susan

Oh I want cricut so bad, I love all the things you can make with it, I been saving for that and a camera but hopefully I can get my hands on one pretty soon.
Thanks for sharing, your designs are awesome.

Hello everyone, I recently came across a site called vinylfad.com they have great vinyl at a great price and great service. I placed an order and recieved my order with in a week! The vinyl cuts really well and threads well and sticks well!

Just thought I'd mention that anyone can request free vinyl samples from the website: http://www.oracal.com

Oracal is a very popular and trusted brand of vinyl - and for the most part affordable, it's what I use. You can't order from Oracal.com but they list and talk about their products and you can request up to 5 samples at a time. The sample sheets are 8 x 10 which is a pretty nice size, they have various thicknesses, durability, and style choices such as reflective vinyl, gold leaf, metallics, frosted glass, florescent. Lots of stuff, you just need to browse everything before deciding. The only thing you can't control is the color, you select which kind of specialty film you would like but the color is random.

You do need to sign up but it's free and easy, and once you're in each description of whatever should have a tab that reads: "Request Samples & Collateral", and that's where you add the sample to your cart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter