My journey from Wide Load to Wide Open!

Robert 31320

Mouseketeer
After months of procrastination, I decided enough was enough! This first post will be rather long since I will be accounting for 2.5 months of time.

August 28, 2011 was the day I decided my life was about to change for the better. That morning I told my wife we were about to go buy new running shoes because I was about to hit the road and finally lose weight and get myself healthy. We made our way to Rack Room shoes where I decided on a pair of K-Swiss Tubes (they were comfortable and look cool). That afternoon I proceeded to eat until I felt absolutely sick...kind of like every other Sunday afternoon.

August 29, 2011...4:45am! I get right up from my alarm clock and get on the scale, 311 pound starting weight. I got dressed and hit the road walking. The lap around our neighborhood is 1.5 miles and I thought I just might die. I had committed to myself to do this 5 days per week and to alter my current eating habits to include portion control and no sweets. I set myself a personal goal to get into shape to start running local 5K races ( a rather lofty goal for someone as out of shape as I was but I want the T-shirts).

For some crazy reason I keep my personal commitment for the next several weeks!

September 26, 2011 I wake up at my now usual 4:45am and it is storming outside so I can't get my walk in. I decided to take my clothes and shoes to work with me and stop at the park on the way home and get my walk done. There is a 1 mile walking trail at this park. About 5 minutes into my walk I decide to try running and to my surprise I'm able to maintain a faster than walking pace for 2 minutes before getting too winded. I then walked for 2 minutes and took off again for another 2 minutes......at the end of the mile lap I had run for a total of 6 minutes and was as excited as I could be!

Once back on my home turf and back in the morning darkness, I decided that I would continue this running thing on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings and hope to someday be able to run the neighborhood lap.

Fast forward 2 weeks, this would be the time I argue with my personal limits and try to run 1 mile. To my surprise, I DID IT! It hurt, but I DID IT!

To be continued.......

During the month of October 2011 I continued to run my 1.5 mile neighborhood lap Monday, Wednesday, Friday and walking the same route on Tuesday and Thursdays.

Diet remained simple portion control, no sweets, and 1 gallon of water daily.

On October 31, 2011 I decided it was to time to stretch my running distance to again argue with my personal limits and ran 2 miles! This immediately became my new daily route.

On Saturday November 4 I decided to do an afternoon run (to get away from craving snacks). I had a great big argument with my limits this time and made a 3 mile run! Excited and SORE, I sat down at my computer and I did it!!

November 12, 2011 was the day I met my goal. I ran in my first ever 5K!!!

I was no where near the front of the pack, but I was even farther away from the couch!

This has to be one of the most rewarding things I have ever done for myself. I was as proud as the young man that won the race some 30 minutes ahead of me.

I am now more motivated than ever and moving forward!

...yet another accomplishment!
After I walked this morning I weighed...

That's a loss of 40 pounds to date since August 29, 2011

You're dong a great job! Keep up the good work. You'll keep moving closer and closer to the front of that pack and you'll find yourself less and less winded/doubled over gasping for air at the completion of the run.

November 12, 2011 was the day I met my goal. I ran in my first ever 5K!!!

I was no where near the front of the pack, but I was even farther away from the couch!

This has to be one of the most rewarding things I have ever done for myself. I was as proud as the young man that won the race some 30 minutes ahead of me.

I am now more motivated than ever and moving forward!

...yet another accomplishment!
After I walked this morning I weighed...

That's a loss of 40 pounds to date since August 29, 2011

Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment! Keep up the hard work and positive attitude! :upsidedow

That is awesome! You just go to show that a person has to reach their own "This is it" point before they can truly succeed.

Keep it up!

Wow you are doing FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You and I both started roughly about the same time. I started back on August 22nd of this year to a new me. I'm currently on week 6 of Couch to 5K and have lost about 27 pounds.

Keep up the great work!

Robert!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome-where are you though,you need to keep up the good work.I will be following in here again since I too need to get moving again and need motivation from all you guys.

Linda

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I continue my running at least 3 days per week.

On Thanksgiving morning, I ran a solo Turkey Trot 4K (2 1/2 miles) and it felt great. I haven't run since, but I do plan to this afternoon doing the 2.5 mile trip.

Brrrrr! I bet it did. Congratulations on your success. Did you see yourself as a runner before this? I have dabbled at running, but I think I have this mental block of "I am not a runner. I am not built for it." Did you have a similar mindset before you started?

Brrrrr! I bet it did. Congratulations on your success. Did you see yourself as a runner before this? I have dabbled at running, but I think I have this mental block of "I am not a runner. I am not built for it." Did you have a similar mindset before you started?

No, I did not see myself as a runner before this. I have thought about it in the past, just never was motivated to do anything about it. Since I've started, I have questioned myself a couple of times but my enexplainable motivation has kept me going to date. The past week or so have been kind of hard but I'm fighting through it and hopefully I'll get over that quickly and be even more motivated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter