My inner conflict I95 vs I78-81-26

artesian

DIS Veteran
I'm leaving my house in NJ at noon sharp Thursday 8/3. This would put my in DC area 4ish. I've never left this time of day so have zero idea if it's worth trying to get through DC and Richmond during the peak of rush. If I do the alternate route I78-81-26 that's guaranteed to add 90+ minutes to overall drive time. So the net net of things with traffic I feel either way would be about the same windshield time. I do feel as though the long way will be a little stable from a traffic perspective whereas I95 I have the potential to crash and burn that time of day. I know this has been asked a million and one times but I just want a sanity check here please. Tell me to do X and why. TIA

I don't know the second way at all, but you couldn't pay me to be on 95 during rush hour in DC/VA. Btdt still suffering the memories. "Children, you may see mommy weep...don't be alarmed..."

Hitting DC at around 4pm will be one long wait from the Beltway to Fredricksburg even if you use the Express/Toll lanes on the western side of the Beltway.

I would suggest you go to google maps at around the time you would hit Baltimore and do a destination check to Fredricksburg. Do it a few times over several days to get a feel. If you can live with the traffic and it's quicker then go that way. There is not a hard and fast answer applicable to this situation. Many people here recommend the I78-81-26 route due to less traffic. Again, do estimates on both.

Google maps will show you where the backups are and you can even give it an estimated departure time and it will show you a historical average.

I don't know the second way at all, but you couldn't pay me to be on 95 during rush hour in DC/VA. Btdt still suffering the memories. "Children, you may see mommy weep...don't be alarmed..."

I feel your pain. We ignored it when google maps recommended a route change heading south. It cost an hour in travel time.

All you need is one constructions/accident backup and you are now in DC right in the middle of rush hour.
For mo going via I81 adds about an hour onto the trip. This is coming from Long Island.
Even if it is slightly longer I prefer to be moving than sitting in traffic.

All you need is one constructions/accident backup and you are now in DC right in the middle of rush hour.
For mo going via I81 adds about an hour onto the trip. This is coming from Long Island.
Even if it is slightly longer I prefer to be moving than sitting in traffic.

Yup that's exactly my feeling. I need to bite the bullet and just go the long way

We have taken 95 from CT twice- and regretted it. We've taken the inland route about 5 or 6 times now and it's sooo much better. Much less stress.

I live on this route (was on 78 this morning) and I highly recommend the 78/81 route to head south. I did 78/81 to get to Alabama a few years ago, then came back via 95 and regretted it from North Carolina to Philly. I've driven to DC too, and the traffic stinks.

We take 78 to 81 on our drive to Atlanta. It's an easy drive with some great rest stops along the way. We pack a picnic lunch to eat when we stop at one of them. We only did a 95 drive to/from Myrtle Beach and would never do it again. On the way home actually cut across Virginia to get off 95 and back on 81.

How are the roads on the inland route? Some of my passengers may get sick if there are too many curves in the road. Thanks

How are the roads on the inland route? Some of my passengers may get sick if there are too many curves in the road. Thanks

These are interstate highways... nice long smooth curves. The only place that I can recall that could even be considered curvy is coming out of the mountains in NC on I77. It is a long downhill that follows the curves of the terrain. Nothing like what you would get on state and local highways though.

My experience with the DC-Richmond area anywhere near AM or PM rush hour has been a disaster. Last year instead of 95 we took route 1 and 13 thru Delaware and Maryland across the Bay Bridge and picked up 95 well south of Richmond. I don't know if we saved much time, but other than cutting through Norfolk, it was a very easy drive.

Can you stop for dinner when the traffic backs up? Maybe leave an hour later as well. I know it will be backed up for hours, but it makes more sense to stop for dinner during traffic, than waiting until you are free of traffic to stop. We hit DC around 5pm, stop for a sit down dinner, top off the tank since we are stopped anyway. Bathroom break. Back on the road and straight through with only bathroom and fuel stops.

If you are in DC at 4pm, that gets you to WDW at what -- 3 or 4am? That's a pretty inconvenient time. By leaving later and stopping for dinner, or just leaving later to avoid most of the DC traffic, you'll get to WDW closer to 6am. Good timing for checking in, grabbing breakfast and heading to the bus stop.

Last edited:
Can you leave a little later to avoid the anticipated rush hour?

We left CT (1/2 from the NY line) at 6am and were at the Vince Lombardi rest stop by 7 and to the D.C. Area by 11. Not sure exactly where in jersey you'd be coming from.

If you took the inland route, beside she the added time, there could still be accidents.

I personally would risk it and take 95. It's the most direct. Keep your waze app on as it will re route you if there are delays.

I took the inland route down leaving NJ at high noon on Thursday and I95 back leaving 5am Saturday. The net net of both nearly identical times both ways. Hit a couple slow downs going inland around 5 pm but other than that I found the drive a lot more scenic. I have zero regrets doing this route. I hit traffic on and off in all of VA Saturday evening. DC was a breeze. Had I not hit traffic I would have been at least 60 mins better. So will I do inland again? Easy answer is yes if I don't want to hit rush hour around DC the added 90 miles inland is worth it.

I'm leaving my house in NJ at noon sharp Thursday 8/3. This would put my in DC area 4ish. I've never left this time of day so have zero idea if it's worth trying to get through DC and Richmond during the peak of rush. If I do the alternate route I78-81-26 that's guaranteed to add 90+ minutes to overall drive time. So the net net of things with traffic I feel either way would be about the same windshield time. I do feel as though the long way will be a little stable from a traffic perspective whereas I95 I have the potential to crash and burn that time of day. I know this has been asked a million and one times but I just want a sanity check here please. Tell me to do X and why. TIA

Rush hour around DC begins around 3pm now, I leave work at 3pm and the traffic is usually reporting delays down 95 on the south side of the Beltway. If for any reason there is an accident on the beltway, or its its raining, ALL roads will be a nightmare. Don't do 95, save yourself the stress. :crazy:

Rush hour around DC begins around 3pm now, I leave work at 3pm and the traffic is usually reporting delays down 95 on the south side of the Beltway. If for any reason there is an accident on the beltway, or its its raining, ALL roads will be a nightmare. Don't do 95, save yourself the stress. :crazy:

The exact reason why I did avoid it this trip. Unless im coming through late or a weekend I didn't want to leave it to chance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter