Must Do & Must Avoid for 1st Timers

Hatbox

Mouseketeer
We're going for our first trip to Universal -- one day, both parks, no kids -- mostly so my Potter-loving husband can experience Wizarding World. (It's not like I'm mad about going, either!). The rest of the parks seem evenly split between properties we're crazy about and characters/franchises we avoid like the plague. I'd really appreciate any feedback on things we should do (even if we hate the properties they're based on) and things we should totally skip (even if we really love, say, E.T.)

Things we have to do
Escape from Gringotts
Forbidden Journey
explore Diagon Alley
Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade (and back again if time permits)

Things we'd love to do when we're done with Wizarding World

Jurassic Park River Adventure
Jurassic Park Discovery Center
Reign of Kong
Spider-Man
Hulk (he's a coaster junkie; I could leave it)
Mummy

(Is it insane to think we could accomplish everything above if we arrive at opening on a day with moderate crowds?)

I'm curious about

Simpsons (we're not mega fans, but we like them)
E.T. (I've heard it's so outdated it's not worth it. True?)
Men in Black (we don't care about the movie or characters, but is the ride fun anyway?)
Rip Ride Rockit (again, I don't care, but my husband loves coasters)

Things we'll avoid unless you change my mind
Shrek 4D
Minion anything
Transformers
Jimmy Fallon
Fast & Furious
everything else

I would try Minions and/or Fallon once. But keep it at the bottom of your list. They're essentially the same ride, just different story line. E.T. is good if you want to get out of the heat, lol. Same thing with Men in Black. Definitely definitely DEFINITELY ride The Mummy, it's amazing. I think about it at least weekly and how much I wanna ride it again!

I'm convinced Transformers is the same exact track as Spider-Man. The effects in the same order, ride vehicle is exactly the same, etc. I wouldn't waste my time doing both. I ride Spider-Man every time I go but always skip Transformers.

Might need to be a low crowd day to do all of that. Waits for many of your listed attractions are over an hour each today. Two parks in one day, I see people posting that they are trying to do it all the time. Just as i wouldn't try to do the 4 parks at WDW in only 2 days, I would feel very rushed and unable to enjoy myself doing 2 Uni parks in 1 day. With the things you have to do/would love to do, there are 10 things. If each takes 30 minutes of line wait/attraction time or time to look around, you're at 5 hours. Assuming you make a park open at 9, it would be 2 pm before you finished those 10 things. Give them each 45 minutes and you're at 4:30 pm. This is with no time to eat, bathroom breaks, time to walk/travel from one to the other, etc. Just hurry up and run from one to the next. A more leisurely pace to really enjoy things, take time for a meal, etc. and you'd be pressed to fit it all in except maybe in an open to close bonzai touring mode. Besides, Universal rides, just like those at WDW do go down from time to time as well. That could derail a one day plan very quickly.

I understand if that's all the time you have, but so many people rush their Uni trip or add it as a sidebar/diversion to a longer WDW vacation as almost an afterthought, and end up never wanting to go back. Not because it wasn't worth going to, but because they tried to squeeze it all in and didn't give it the same chance they give WDW to impress them or to enjoy it, just to say they'd "been there, done that".

As for your "curious list", E.T. to me is a classic just like Pinnochio and Pooh at WDW and Snow White and Mr. Toad at DL. Sure it's been there a while, but a big part of movie history and many childhoods. Men in Black to me makes Buzz Lightyear look like a cheap carnival ride at the local county fair. I like and enjoy Buzz, it's just not in the same league.

I feel if you've done Spiderman, you've done Transformers just with a different story/characters. etc. Same with Minions and Fallon, as they are like Star Tours but in larger moving theaters.

Those are just my opinions. But, take a close look at the day you're planning to go, distances between attractions, estimated crowd levels, etc. and base your decision on that. This is especially the case if you're staying at a non-Universal property and not getting express passes or paying for them out of pocket.

Do single rider lines on Hulk, Spiderman, and the Mummy. You're not missing much not sitting together. MIB has a crazy fast single rider line also, so may be worthwhile depending on how your day goes. Single rider lines on the two HP rides are a good way to do a reride quickly after. Actually, you can do the single rider line on Forbidden Journey the first time if the line is already long when you get there. That line is an adjacent queue so you can see all the interior of the castle, and you really can't see each other on the ride.

If you're starting in IOA, consider hitting Kong on the way to Hogsmeade. The line gets really long. But otherwise, try to make time for it as it is a really good ride.

Jurassic Park ride has minimal wait early and late in the day. You don't get all that wet (just chest & head) and it is also a really good ride. The Discovery Center - building looks and is themed great, so totally worth a walk through, but unless you need an AC break you don't need to devote time to the "exhibits" downstairs.

Jimmy Fallon was my least favorite ride, even with no wait.

We did "open to close bonzai touring mode" for 5 universal days and loved them. Have fun and do take time to enjoy the details and atmosphere.

Date?
Have EP?

August 25th, no EP. Touring Plans predicts a 4/10, hours 9a-9p (with 8a admission at IOA).

I think we'll start at USF at 9a, do Diagon, then Hogsmeade, tour IOA, then head back to USF if we have any time left.

Any suggestions? We're adventurous foodies, but we'll surely be dirty, sweaty messes from a full day in the parks.

Hi we really enjoy Toothsome and Bubba Gump. I think you will be fine with most of the sit down restaurants at city walk coming from the parks. Honestly, last summer when we were there we got stuck in an awful storm leaving US. We were heading to Toothsome. When we got there we were soaked head to toe and had that funky sweaty icky smell. LOL! we went in no problem and nothing was said to us. You should be fine you could always check the dress code.

For your attractions I would skip Shrek it really is outdated and don't think it is worth the time. I enjoy E.T. for nostalgic reasons if we can do it I do. We don't like the Simpsons ride, this one makes us nauseous. The land is really cool. Personally I love Transformers and we always ride it multiple times. I just don't like the ride I enjoy the characters and the story line. Mummy is awesome. Single rider line is great unless you are like me and don't like to ride them alone.o_O
We enjoy Jimmy Fallon ride. Rip Ride Rocket is good and your DH can use the single rider line if it is not busy like pp suggested. We enjoy the minion mayhem. It's interesting because I hear a lot about these rides being the same thing but we don't think so. Each one moves differently and gives a different sensation. The story lines are good and can be different. I think if there is a theme you really like I would try the ride even if you think it is like another.

We go on everything in the IOA except for Storm Acceleration. I think Hulk is great for your DH.

Like all the great advice given just try not to rush and cram and just enjoy what you can. It can always be another reason to make another trip.

I agree with just about all advice above. I also loved Toothsome for food. For rides other than Harry Potter, I like Spider-Man, jimmy fallon, mummy, Jurassic park and men in black. Hope that helps and have a great trip.

I personally would never miss out on ET. Depends on when you were born. I was born in the 80s and this ride takes me back to my childhood.

The most immersive place outside of WWOHP to eat lunch is the Simpsons world. I would recommend sitting in Moe’s and having a beer.

I think you are dead on by going straight to Diagon and do what you have to do there.

Other must do’s for me are the roller coasters. Hulk, RRR and The Mummy are all awesome. Jurassic Park is wonderful. The other water rides will get you SOAKED so skip them.

These are just some random thoughts. But advice number one would be to get the Universal app and use it to see waiting times.

For us:

Must Do - Kong, Spiderman, Doom, Cat in the Hat (no line, very cold, great for hot day), Trolley Ride (great views), Hogwarts, Minions, Transformers, Fallon, Mummy x2, ET, MIB, Horror Show, Gringott's

If we stay multiple days on site, we always spend half day on water rides in bathing suits. Know for your one day excursion the Dudley and Popeye will get you soaked, like stand in the shower wet, Jurassic gets you wet, but not soaked.

We will ride the "roller coasters" from time to time, but we live close to Cedar Point, so the magnetic draw is not there for us - don't get me wrong, they are good coasters, but not must dos. Mummy excluded, it is awesome and always gets multiple rides - a true class of its own.

We LOVE all of the simulator rides. Again, as multi year annual pass holders at Cedar Point, it is like saying all coasters are the same. Or, for Disney fans, it's saying that Mermaid, Nemo, Small World, Frozen, etc. are all the same ride because they are slow moving vehicles/boats going scene to scene through well known and adored IPs.

For us, Spiderman and Transformers are very different rides, but we also go opening weekend to every Marvel and Transformer movie. Kong was just awesome to us, still not sure I have seen every detail, and we have rode dozens of times, but I also watch Rocky AGAIN this weekend and can't believe Creed won by split decision. We want to "Ride the Movies" and love them all, it's just personal preference.

You only have half of a day (after HP lands), make sure you really think about what you like and look over the maps and have an awesome day!

I think your plan looks good. Do you know which park has Early admission that day? I would then start in the opposite park. The Potter areas are most crowded in the middle of the day so I would start and end with them and do stuff in the middle. The Mummy is our favorite ride so make sure you do that. If you hit it before heading to Diagon Alley you won't have any wait time. We also loved Kong and MIB. I will never ever ride Shrek as we aren't fans of the movies and I'm afraid of Minions and Simpsons making me too sick so I will never ride them. Hulk is amazing as well. As 2 adults if you can go park open to park close, I think you can do it. You could always make a reservations at Mythos, which is right in the park and you wouldn't have to even leave :) Have fun!!!

Things we'd love to do when we're done with Wizarding World
Jurassic Park River Adventure
- this one can be hit or miss if you stay dry or get soaked, just something to keep in mind

Jurassic Park Discovery Center
- make sure to check out the Dino nursery

Reign of Kong
- will get long line

Spider-Man
- will get long line

Hulk (he's a coaster junkie; I could leave it)
- will get long line

Mummy
- one of my favorite coasters because the sets and storyline are well done, and it’s one of the few out there that doesn’t make me sick, just be ready to brace for a couple sudden stops, other than those, it’s not too bad
- will get long line

(Is it insane to think we could accomplish everything above if we arrive at opening on a day with moderate crowds?)

- No, with planning and if you are willing to rope drop, use single rider, wait some, and stay all day, you can fit it all in.

I'm curious about

Simpsons (we're not mega fans, but we like them)
- I’m not a fan, it makes me motion sick, and I found some of the story a little on the gross side as well, if you really enjoy the Simpsons, you may love it. I hated it.

E.T. (I've heard it's so outdated it's not worth it. True?)
- I don’t feel this way at all. It reminds me of Peter Pan. We really enjoy it, and because it is tucked out of the way and not as popular, it usually doesn’t have a long line, making it a good choice for busy days and people without EP. It is one of the few rides that isn’t a screen. I really like that about it. Others see it as outdated because it isn’t a 3D screen ride. My only complaint is that the bicycles you ride aren’t the most comfortable.

Men in Black (we don't care about the movie or characters, but is the ride fun anyway?)
- I don’t care about the movies or characters, but I love riding this. I can’t stand Buzz Lightyear because I’m never able to tell what I’m hitting. However, on this ride, I find it fun because it is easier to see what targets you are hitting, and you are actually working toward a goal. There are two possible endings. Either you wash out of training or you pass and get to become an agent. We have so much fun trying to become agents. We will ride this over and over again trying to improve our scores until we finally get to become agents. It’s a fun shooter game if you are into those types of rides.

Rip Ride Rockit (again, I don't care, but my husband loves coasters)
- I refuse to ride this. I can handle Mummy and Hulk, but this ride made me cry. My body can’t handle it. If you like coasters, go for it. I know many who love it, but it is way too rough for me.

Shrek 4D

- cute for kids show, but not a must do for adults

Minion anything
- same as above

Transformers
- same ride as Spiderman, so do whichever theme appeals to you the most

Jimmy Fallon
- I find this boring

Fast & Furious
- have not seen yet, wasn’t open my last trip

Try for the non early early entry park and do HP first, then use single rider for the other rides you want to do and then do the second HP area that was open early, at night. HP will be the least crowded early morning and right before closing, although with the addition of the nighttime castle show, I’m expecting Hogsmeade to stay busy most nights now as well. Diagon Alley should be pretty empty during that time however with everyone over watching the castle show.

Option 2, go to Marvel Super Hero Island first and do Hulk and Spiderman, then hit Kong, and then the Jurassic Park rides. This will minimize walking and backtracking and allow you to do all of those without a wait. Then you can head over to Hogsmeade (which will be crowded, but that’s waiting in 1 line verses 3 or 4) and have lunch at the 3 Broomsticks and ride FJ. Then take the train to the other park use single rider for MIB and ride ET which shouldn’t have much of a line, and you can check out single rider lines for RRR and Mummy as well. Expect single rider for those to be anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes. After you get done exploring US, head back to Diagon Alley and hit that at night when crowds will be lighter.

You can easily accomplish your list and then some in a day.

August 25th, no EP. Touring Plans predicts a 4/10, hours 9a-9p (with 8a admission at IOA).

I think we'll start at USF at 9a, do Diagon, then Hogsmeade, tour IOA, then head back to USF if we have any time left.

Aug 25 is a Saturday
If you are seeing crowd level at 4, that would save the day for you in succeeding to do both park highlights

But weekends bring the locals to the park if the weather is good

Recheck tp estimates the week prior in case you can switch to Sunday for the park day
I’ve found Sunday’s to have less crowds
Many out of state peeps arrive or depart for home on sundays as some regions of the states return to school
then

I’m in Georgia and our school district begins the first weekday of the August month

Good luck on getting all done on your day at the darkside

I'm curious about
Simpsons (we're not mega fans, but we like them) -- meh for me. Makes me a little queasy. I'd have no qualms about missing this ride. That said, I do think its well-themed for anyone who can appreciate the Simpsons.
E.T. (I've heard it's so outdated it's not worth it. True?) -- definitely not true for us. Its a touch outdated, but a classic ride. Very cute and unique. Never seems to be a wait, so its not a time consuming one.

Men in Black (we don't care about the movie or characters, but is the ride fun anyway?) -- I couldn't care less about the movie, but it's a fun ride. On par with Buzz or Toy Story at WDW. Ironically, MIB is one of my parents' favorite rides - they are in their late 60s! DH and I get competitive on this so its fun for us too.

Rip Ride Rockit (again, I don't care, but my husband loves coasters) -- this is the only coaster I've ever been on that pulls you straight up the hill. So for a coaster enthusiast, that part is unique and thrilling. Honestly, after that, the rest of the ride is pretty tame. It never inverts and its pretty smooth. Its not a must do for us, but I would do it if you have time.

Shrek 4D -- good idea to avoid it. Ick.
Minion anything -- cute ride, we do it, but wouldn't be bummed if we missed it
Transformers -- very similar to Spiderman. Would not be sad if we had to miss Transformers or Spiderman. Spiderman is a better ride for me simply because I'm not familiar with the Transformers characters.
Jimmy Fallon -- we actually really enjoy this. The virtual queue is very unique and if you're at all familiar with the Tonight Show, you'll appreciate this ride. We don't watch the show regularly, but still enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter