MoviePass? $9.99/month 1 theater movie a day

If theaters get paid full price from Movie Pass then how could they stay in business? If you see even two movies a month then Movie Pass would be losing money. Doesn't seem like it would be profitable even in the short run.
Probably using the gym model.

Hope to sign up lots of customers who pay and never use the product.

my wife and I signed up a couple days ago. We usually watch 2-3 movies a month at 8.50 a piece. Get discounted movie tickets through work. So this will be great for us. Also we both hate 3D and there is no IMAX by us. We never watch the same movie more than one time at the movie theatre anyway. I will enjoy the 9.95 a month as long as it lasts at that price. I see it going up soon.
The only thing I think will be bad about having movie pass is that you will go see more movies than you normally will to try to get more of a good deal. Instead of going 2-3 maybe we will go to 4-5 a month. Than you have the added cost of going there plus what food and drinks you buy at the theatre. We normally just get a small soda and share for the two of us.

Last edited:
We normally just get a small soda and share for the two of us.

In August of 1999 the local Regal Cinema's sold a refillable cup with a promise of $1 refills for life. We bought a few and kept up with them for years. They stopped selling the cups some time in 2000. We would occasionally lose one as the bottoms were prone to falling out due to straw wear and the plastic was brittle and would break if dropped.

Eventually we were down to just two. About that same time Regal switched from Pepsi to Coke. After a few months of refilling our Pepsi branded cup they started refusing saying that Coke did not want them filling a Pepsi branded cup with Coke. We complained and apparently there were still enough of us around to make a difference. In a few weeks signs were placed around the theater announcing a Regalator Pepsi cup trade in program.

We traded in our Pepsi cups and got two Coke cups. The Coke cups have been much more durable and not nearly as fragile.

It is now 18 years later and we are still getting our $1 refills.

We average 3 movies a month * 52 weeks * 18 years = 2808 refills.

We have probably saved $7000 on movie beverages.

IMG_7364.jpg

In August of 1999 the local Regal Cinema's sold a refillable cup with a promise of $1 refills for life. We bought a few and kept up with them for years. They stopped selling the cups some time in 2000. We would occasionally lose one as the bottoms were prone to falling out due to straw wear and the plastic was brittle and would break if dropped.

Eventually we were down to just two. About that same time Regal switched from Pepsi to Coke. After a few months of refilling our Pepsi branded cup they started refusing saying that Coke did not want them filling a Pepsi branded cup with Coke. We complained and apparently there were still enough of us around to make a difference. In a few weeks signs were placed around the theater announcing a Regalator Pepsi cup trade in program.

We traded in our Pepsi cups and got two Coke cups. The Coke cups have been much more durable and not nearly as fragile.

View attachment 263234

We did this exact thing! I thought for sure we were the only ones that still refill our cups. I never stopped to calculate the savings but at one point we were seeing a movie almost every weekend. We were the first ones at our local theater to sign up for the Regal Crown Club and earned a lot of free popcorn and movie tickets.

Got my movie pass cards today. Go to movie theatre order movie from movie pass. Go inside tried to pay with the movie pass credit card absolutely nothing on MasterCard. Contacted support no one got back to us in a half an hour. Order another movie it saids success. Go inside again and looked like a fool again when nothing is on movie pass MasterCard. You can't talk to anyone on movie pass.

Update- been three times after this. Didn't have any problems.

Last edited:

View attachment 263234
Wow! Never heard of that, but neat that they actually still honor it all these years later! I'm surprised the people at the counters are actually trained to know about the cups!

Movie pass what a joke.

Got my movie pass cards today. Go to movie theatre order movie from movie pass. Go inside tried to pay with the movie pass credit card absolutely nothing on MasterCard. Contacted support no one got back to us in a half an hour. Order another movie it saids success. Go inside again and looked like a fool again when nothing is on movie pass MasterCard. You can't talk to anyone on moviepass.
Ugh...what a disappointment and how irritating. :(

View attachment 263234
3 movies per month * 12 months (not 52 weeks!) * 18 years = 648

Your math makes sense if you're going to the movies 3 times per week. Still, 648 refills is nothing to sneeze at!

I wanted to try it again. After yesterday my wife didn't want to try it again. Today it worked. So going to watch a movie by myself.

I was wondering how this would work with families. It seems like we would have to go through the line and pay individually.

You each have to have a smart phone and a card. When you arrive at the theater, you open the app, choose your movie, then go in and hand your movie card to the cashier or swipe it at the automatic machine. Yes, individually, or one person has to do it individually. We've never had a cashier say anything.

If you have three people in a family and get 3 cards how do you load three different cards from the app when you get to the theater? I am very interested in getting this for my daughter's family.

See above - each user needs their own smart phone.

Movie pass what a joke.

Got my movie pass cards today. Go to movie theatre order movie from movie pass. Go inside tried to pay with the movie pass credit card absolutely nothing on MasterCard. Contacted support no one got back to us in a half an hour. Order another movie it saids success. Go inside again and looked like a fool again when nothing is on movie pass MasterCard. You can't talk to anyone on moviepass.

Yikes! We've been using movie pass for two years and have had only one problem (can't remember what it was, but called from the theater and they fixed it).

Movie pass what a joke.

Sounds terrible! Too bad it didn't work out...Hope you at least got your money's worth in the end or were able to cancel and get a refund for the membership cost.

I'd be willing to try the program last year since DH and I love going to the movies. However, with a 7-month old DD now, it's a huge logistical ordeal to just go to the movies once every other month.

Sounds terrible! Too bad it didn't work out...Hope you at least got your money's worth in the end or were able to cancel and get a refund for the membership cost.

I'd be willing to try the program last year since DH and I love going to the movies. However, with a 7-month old DD now, it's a huge logistical ordeal to just go to the movies once every other month.

Had trouble the first day. I been three times since and haven't had any problems.

My first month ended with movie pass on sep 28. I watched 6 movies my wife watched three. Little over 13 dollars a movie that it costs movie pass for us to see a movie. Don't know how movie pass is going to make money but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

My wife and I signed up for the yearly price of 89.95. Definitely worth it to me. First month I watched 6 movies, second month 8 and the third will be 10 going to watch coco tonight. Wife wanted to see it on the ship but I talked her into watching it tonight. Next month won’t be that many movies as I will be on second shift this week. Than I go on vacation for two weeks.

I've had MoviePass for almost a month now and I've watched three or 4 movies, I can't remember for certain. No issues at all with the app. For me, it's been worth it and if I should see a movie I don't enjoy I don't have to feel like I wasted my money.

The only issue I've had is with the customer service at the AMC theater where I've watched the movies. What I'm experiencing is that once I present my MoviePass card they are less friendly to me than they were prior to seeing my card, and also in comparison to patrons before me. After running the payment they mark my ticket "MP", hand me my ticket, my MoviePass card, and that's it; there's no "thank you" or "enjoy the movie" as there is to patrons before me, or prior to my having used MoviePass. The poor customer service doesn't affect my movie going experience in any way but I do think it's petty on the part of AMC and their employees.

I currently have the monthly $9.99 plan and am considering switching to the $89.95 yearly plan. I just need to look into how I cancel my current plan.

I've had MoviePass for almost a month now and I've watched three or 4 movies, I can't remember for certain. No issues at all with the app. For me, it's been worth it and if I should see a movie I don't enjoy I don't have to feel like I wasted my money.

The only issue I've had is with the customer service at the AMC theater where I've watched the movies. What I'm experiencing is that once I present my MoviePass card they are less friendly to me than they were prior to seeing my card, and also in comparison to patrons before me. After running the payment they mark my ticket "MP", hand me my ticket, my MoviePass card, and that's it; there's no "thank you" or "enjoy the movie" as there is to patrons before me, or prior to my having used MoviePass. The poor customer service doesn't affect my movie going experience in any way but I do think it's petty on the part of AMC and their employees.

I currently have the monthly $9.99 plan and am considering switching to the $89.95 yearly plan. I just need to look into how I cancel my current plan.

I’m not positive but I think you are too late for the yearly plan. I read where movie pass stopped it after a week. I go to regal but I read a lot about amc crying about movie pass.i don’t get it they are getting full price for the movie. People that use movie pass spend 123 percent more on food and drinks. People are going to more movies who have movie pass than they would. I seen counting tonight 24 movies in three months with movie pass at full price. If it wasn’t for movie pass I would of probably seen maybe 6 at a discount rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter