Mom's Solo Trip - December 2010

homebug

Earning My Ears
Okay - so I'm going to try this pre-trip report thing again - mostly because I'm so excited about it and no one else around this house really cares!!

Cast of players: Me, myself and I!!!

ME-1.jpg

History:

I am a recently, returned to the front lines travel agent (spent 13 years in the back office doing administration). I was able to take my two youngest boys to Disney last October for a whirlwind 4 night trip and was instantly hooked!! I hadn't been to WDW since the late '80's/early '90's. So much has changed!! I wasn't able to do everything I wanted to do, because we didn't have time and because the kids just didn't want to!
Then, due to a small inheritance, we were able to take the whole family to the World this past May. While we had a great time, I still didn't get to do everything I wanted to do or get to take as many pictures as I wanted to take.
So, shortly after we returned, and I was reading DISboards as usual :) , I decided that I was going to make a solo trip at Christmas. :santa: I want to see all the Christmas decorations and lights and attend MVMCP. But I want to do it by myself because my family just isn't as fanatical about Disney as I am.

So, here I am, planning my solo trip, but still being a travel agent, so I want to do this trip a bit differently so I can effectively give my clients recommendations!!

Trip Dates: December 11- 15, 2010

Disney Resort: ds10 and ds7 and I stayed at POP in October and I just loved it! but I am debating staying at the All Star Resorts, just to say I've been there. I haven't booked anything yet, since I'm still deciding.

I'm going to rent car this time, mostly because I want to be able to tell my clients what it's like to drive around the area. I got a super deal at the Budget location at the Doubletree by Downtown Disney, it works out to just over $26 a day for a 3 day rental, including taxes! :cool1: I think I got it from the Orlandoinfo.com site - it's even better than what Budget is offering for a travel agent rate!

Up next, my tentative itinerary - tentative because I haven't even book my flights or hotel yet!! :eek:

So, my plan so far is as follows:

Friday, December 10 - I'll have to work, but hopefully I'll be able to leave a bit early so I can drive to Detroit in mostly daylight hours. I've got a reservation at the Fairfield Inn - I'm always recommending this one to my clients but I haven't stayed there yet. Time to try it out!!

Saturday, December 11 - I'm not really a morning person, but I'll probably be super excited and not able to sleep, so I'm hoping to get an early flight to get the most of my day in Orlando! I'll have to move my van to the long-term parking lot, then take the shuttle to the airport.
Once I arrive, I'll take ME to my resort, then have the Budget Shuttle pick me up there to get my rental. I figure I'm okay driving around the Disney area, but driving from the airport scares me!
After I get the rental, I'll probably go to Walmart for some food supplies (travel agents don't make very much money, so this trip has to be as cheeeeep as possible!!) then maybe Downtown Disney for some Christmas shopping. Then, I might find my way to the TTC and take the monorail to the GF, Poly and CR to see the decorations.

Sunday, December 12 - Today is MVMCP, so I will probably do some more exploring this morning and early afternoon. I will have a two-day parkhopper ticket, so I will save it for Monday and Tuesday and use the MVMCP ticket for today. I want to check out WL and FW and maybe even AKL.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I'm sure I'll want to check out some other resorts as well, and of course see Epcot, DHS and AK. The car will be returned on Tuesday afternoon, and I'll fly home Wednesday mid-day.

More planning in my sleep, I'm sure! and more reading on the disboards to get more ideas and make my lists of to do's!!

So, I`ve done tons of thinking and list making but I finally made the final decisions, added a day and made some bookings!! :banana:

I booked my SW flights the day after they opened their schedules. I decided to take the shortest travel time flights - keeping my fingers crossed for no weather delays.

AND - I booked my resort today!!:cool1: I had looked last night at POP for my dates and it wasn`t available!!! :scared1: So, I tossed and turned and debated whether or not to do a split stay with an All Star resort - not really wanting to because I believe I am arriving at the end of POP Warner week.

Then, while on hold on the phone at work today, I decided to check availability again - and it was available!! :banana: BOOKED!!

Pre-flight hotel - check
Flights - check
Magic Express - check
Rental car - check
Resort - check
Post-trip hotel - check

Now, I just need to submit my request for the TA 2 day pass, purchase my MVMCP ticket and plan my 4 short days! Oh, and figure out how to make some extra money to pay for the planned Christmas shopping while I`m there!! (I`ve got ideas - not to worry!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter