Modifying?

quandrea

DIS Veteran
Im looking to switch my reservation from AKL to BLT when my seven month window opens on Saturday. MS says I have to call to do that so as to not risk losing the AKL reservation. Is this true? Can I modify online without the risk of losing the original reservation.

Im looking to switch my reservation from AKL to BLT when my seven month window opens on Saturday. MS says I have to call to do that so as to not risk losing the AKL reservation. Is this true? Can I modify online without the risk of losing the original reservation.

No, you can not modify online without risking losing both....but neither can MS.

Does the two browser window method not work after the website update?
That's what I've heard. Hopefully they get the modify option back up and running as that would be the easiest way to handle it. Personally, I'd do it on my own so as not to have the 1 hour delay.

Does the two browser window method not work after the website update?

It does not work :( I ended up doing it myself online, and still got my third choice out of 3 rooms - I was able to switch from AKV to BLT, but had I waited until MS opened an hour later, I would have been totally out of luck.

Does that mean that MS can now hold inventory as they make the switch. In the past they couldn't and we lost our AKV CL reservation while they were making the change.

:earsboy: Bill

It does not work :( I ended up doing it myself online, and still got my third choice out of 3 rooms - I was able to switch from AKV to BLT, but had I waited until MS opened an hour later, I would have been totally out of luck.

Darn. That's a real bummer, as it didn't really feel like a way of cheating the system but still getting what you were hoping for. I guess it reinforces "buy where you want to stay" that much more.
Did they crack down on walking a reservation any? It seemed that that's where people were having the most issues with the old system.

The DVC Reservations people can do it without losing the reservation, because they can make sure that the new reservation is available and then they can put it on hold while they are working on it. Once they have it held, they can go back and cancel the old reservation and take the points from your old reservation to put on the new reservation.

It is their ability to temporarily hold one reservation while working on another, that makes the difference. You cannot do that. You cannot put it on hold, thereby locking it in place temporarily while you go drop your old reservation to free up your points. While doing that you could be losing your old reservation and you could be losing the new reservation. If they are doing it They will make sure that It is still there while they are dropping your old reservation to get the points.

The DVC Reservations people can do it without losing the reservation, because they can make sure that the new reservation is available and then they can put it on hold while they are working on it. Once they have it held, they can go back and cancel the old reservation and take the points from your old reservation to put on the new reservation.
I'm not sure that all CM are able to do this. When calling to change part of my reservation I was specifically told that they would have to cancel my original reservation to release the points- leaving me homeless and that there could be a chance that someone could snag my reservation before she was able to go back in to book. My guess is if they could hold a reservation they would state that to the member as to avoid any necessary stress or worry of being left homeless.

Now if you have points to book and hold 2 reservations at once then certainly there is no risk of being left homeless.

It is their ability to temporarily hold one reservation while working on another, that makes the difference. You cannot do that. You cannot put it on hold, thereby locking it in place temporarily while you go drop your old reservation to free up your points. While doing that you could be losing your old reservation and you could be losing the new reservation. If they are doing it They will make sure that It is still there while they are dropping your old reservation to get the points.

That has been reported many times as not being the case...even just yesterday:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-luck-but-not-the-good-kind-just-venting.3694406/

Do you have enough points to book the resort you really prefer and then cancel the one you currently have booked? If so, then you can just do that online. You can book online at 8 am EST on the day of the seven month window...or you have to wait till 9 am to call Member Services.

Your safest bet is to use any additional points to book the room you want, and then cancel the room that is your second choice. If you don't have enough points to do this, you should call in to MS, and ask if they are able to hold the preferred room before releasing your existing room. If they say yes, I would think you're good to go. If they hesitate or say no, I would stay put with your original plan.

If I had waited to call MS at 9 on Monday, I would have lost the room I wanted. I was just prepared ro take OKW if I lost my original AKV and couldn't get BLT, Poly, or BWV. By 9am, all 3 were gone but I had secured BLT at 8am.

The DVC Reservations people can do it without losing the reservation, because they can make sure that the new reservation is available and then they can put it on hold while they are working on it.
I’m not sure if you’re referring to something new, but every time I’ve swapped out a reservation with MS, CM has always warned me that during the transition, there was a risk of losing my reservation and that if we proceeded, it was at my own peril.

Only way to do this in the past was with the two browser method and of course that got killed with the site update.

We actually used to be able to do that with the 2 browser method - dead now. It also seems like that was part of the modify reservation that was in existence for 2 or so days. But anytime I spoke with MS to make a change there was always the warning that the reservation I wanted might be gone by the time they had cancelled the original. If any CM's could do a hold it definitely wasn't all of them and I'd have to say it wasn't most of them that could. Now I'm starting to wonder if a few might have been doing their own version of a"two browser" method. In general, calling gave no more guarantee of the switch and it eliminated many options because online starts an hour earlier. If it was still there at 9am you might as well have just done it yourself with cancel and rebooking at 8am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter