Moana?!

I would LOVE to see Moana overhaul the Spirit of Aloha dinner/show. They could change the story to reflect the cultures of the Polynesian people through the eyes of Moana, the explorer and adventurer. It could have authentic Polynesian foods and "luau" elements from all over the Pacific. They could pull in some, but not all, of the music from the movie. It could be a great update and improvement for families and grown-ups alike. Any thoughts?

I would LOVE to see Moana overhaul the Spirit of Aloha dinner/show. They could change the story to reflect the cultures of the Polynesian people through the eyes of Moana, the explorer and adventurer. It could have authentic Polynesian foods and "luau" elements from all over the Pacific. They could pull in some, but not all, of the music from the movie. It could be a great update and improvement for families and grown-ups alike. Any thoughts?
I agree 100%. I heard they were reworking the Tiki birds to include Moana. Maybe just a rumor. I’d love just a simple meet and greet but it doesn’t seem like that’s happening now.

I often wonder who decides (and the decision making process) which M&Gs to have readily available and which ones to keep for special occasions. I would think (like Anna and Elsa), that Moana would be a big hit and could even warrant a semi-permanent spot in Princess Fairytale hall or Adventureland.

I am surprised they don’t do more mini/semi-permanent things to promote the new movies that wouldn’t take a ton of capital

Feels like back in the 90’s they would have a new parade each year to promote the latest movie and don’t seem to do things lien that any more

She was meeting at MK last year during MNSSHP. I was there in September and the line for the M&G was obviously longer than any other.
I will concur completely. We bolted straight to the line and it was already 3 hours. Temps were mid 90s with 8000% humidity and we just could not pull it off.

It seems to me that they could/should have Moana in FTH rather than Elena. She seems far more popular from what I've seen. If not FTH, maybe they need to find a place in Adventureland for her. Or make Ohana inclusive of her alongside Lilo and Stitch....maybe make dinner Moana since there are no characters at dinner? Whatever they do, they need to do it soon. She's an amazing character and deserves a place. I mean, Merida has a meet and greet...and she's at most half as popular as Moana.

something strange I noticed. Oh My Disney! is doing a march madness bracket with Disney songs. They put Moana in the Hero(ines) category, rather than princess. Isn't Oh My Disney! from Disney? Why won't they induct her already

It seems to me that they could/should have Moana in FTH rather than Elena. She seems far more popular from what I've seen. If not FTH, maybe they need to find a place in Adventureland for her. Or make Ohana inclusive of her alongside Lilo and Stitch....maybe make dinner Moana since there are no characters at dinner? Whatever they do, they need to do it soon. She's an amazing character and deserves a place. I mean, Merida has a meet and greet...and she's at most half as popular as Moana.

Agreed! Shes even more popular than Ana & Elsa in our house!!

something strange I noticed. Oh My Disney! is doing a march madness bracket with Disney songs. They put Moana in the Hero(ines) category, rather than princess. Isn't Oh My Disney! from Disney? Why won't they induct her already

Because she’s not a princess, she is the daughter of the village chief ;). Could be they are going to keep her outside the “princess” category even though she wears a dress and has an animal sidekick as per Maui.

Because she’s not a princess, she is the daughter of the village chief ;). Could be they are going to keep her outside the “princess” category even though she wears a dress and has an animal sidekick as per Maui.
Right I just thought they made the joke so they could justify inducting her in the future.
Mulan was inducted!

Right I just thought they made the joke so they could justify inducting her in the future.
Mulan was inducted!

I wonder if Elsa and Anna were the cut off? They won’t be inducted, perhaps others that come after them won’t be either.

We missed her M&G at DHS by 3 weeks or so last year. Painful. She is such a good character. As an adult I like the movie as much as Frozen and my “so over princesses” DD9 and DN11 like her too. Maybe that’s part of it. Leave some of the strong, independent characters outside the princess label to keep the interest of older girls? But if that’s the plan they need to better market the heroine category of characters.

I wonder if Elsa and Anna were the cut off? They won’t be inducted, perhaps others that come after them won’t be either.
I thought it was that Anna and Elsa were just so big they got their own line of products outside the princess line. I am just saying if Elena of Avalor counts...

I thought it was that Anna and Elsa were just so big they got their own line of products outside the princess line. I am just saying if Elena of Avalor counts...
Well I think it might just be a new marketing trend considering frozen, Elena, and Moana are their own brand

Well I think it might just be a new marketing trend considering frozen, Elena, and Moana are their own brand
ok but that still doesn't make sense if Elena was inducted. Honestly I don't know why Anna and Elsa and Moana can't be in the line up and get their own brand.

ok but that still doesn't make sense if Elena was inducted. Honestly I don't know why Anna and Elsa and Moana can't be in the line up and get their own brand.
It could also be that Disney has realized that there is a growing backlash against the Princess concept as girls get older. I don't know how many t-shirts my daughter has that mock the concept of Princesses, but it's more than a few and she loves them at 8. It's been a thing this year. So having a category that doesn't touch on the title Princess, and having had Moana argue she isn't one, gives them another product line. Disney knows there is money in appealing to as many as possible, I expect the heroine line will be an attempt to find space for those that aren't real keen on being a Princess.

It could also be that Disney has realized that there is a growing backlash against the Princess concept as girls get older. I don't know how many t-shirts my daughter has that mock the concept of Princesses, but it's more than a few and she loves them at 8. It's been a thing this year. So having a category that doesn't touch on the title Princess, and having had Moana argue she isn't one, gives them another product line. Disney knows there is money in appealing to as many as possible, I expect the heroine line will be an attempt to find space for those that aren't real keen on being a Princess.

Marketing to older girls for non princesses goes with inducting Elena. Elena is a Disney Jr show which is meant for preschoolers/kindergarten age. If they want to keep non princesses for older girls, she wouldn’t be on their radar.

Marketing to older girls for non princesses goes with inducting Elena. Elena is a Disney Jr show which is meant for preschoolers/kindergarten age. If they want to keep non princesses for older girls, she wouldn’t be on their radar.

I would actually say she’s a decent transition between the preschool/K Sofia and older girls. My 2nd grader still watchs the Elena and Rapunzel shows (although is more into Scooby Doo reruns and DC superhero girls). They are a little less syrupy than the shows strictly for the preschool set.

shouldn't it be important to show though that princesses can be diverse in interests, attitudes, appearance, etc. ? They have been pushing Dream Big Princess so hard, you would think that inducting princesses of varied personalities would be valuable

shouldn't it be important to show though that princesses can be diverse in interests, attitudes, appearance, etc. ? They have been pushing Dream Big Princess so hard, you would think that inducting princesses of varied personalities would be valuable
To some extent. But you are missing that there is a whole segment that just doesn't think Princesses are cool. They don't want to be Princesses. They want to be something else. The Heroine category, I think, is targeted toward this group. Princesses are great for littles. But my daughter thinks of it as downright negative. Now when she hits her late teens or twenties Princess might come back again, right? But that's a big block that isn't really into the term. Disney might be looking to just market to them another way rather than try and jam them all back into the Princess box they've already climbed out of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!