Milwaukee Marathon (1 mile, 5k, 10k, HM or M) DIS Meet Race - Oct 14th and 15th 2017

DopeyBadger

Imagathoner
So it was decided that we'll run the Milwaukee Running Festival on October 14th and 15th. Since making that decision, the race has undergone a new website

http://www.runmilwaukeemarathon.com

The race offers distances of a 1 mile (on the 14th), 5k, 10k, 13.1, and 26.2.

10/14&15/17 - Milwaukee Running Festival - Milwaukee, WI - 1 mile, 5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2 - $25, $30, $40, $80, $90 - March 31st - http://www.milwaukeerunningfestival.com/registration.html

Signed up
@roxymama - 10k
@DopeyBadger - 10k
@opusone - Half Marathon
@rteetz - 10k
@pixarmom - Half Marathon
DopeyBadgerMom - 10k
@*DisneyDreamer - Half Marathon

Undecided, but has shown interest
@Mimsy Borogove
@WIFriendofFigment - possible dependent on Lakefront
@surfde22
@LizardQueen8 - out
@DisSconnie
@roxyhubby - babysitter dependent
@mateojr 1-mile or 5K, depending on schedules

Original Post

So the discussion has been bounced around a bit on getting a DIS group together for the same non-Disney race in the Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison area. So I put together a list with the suggested timeframe and chose the Milwaukee, WI greater area since it's about 60-120 minutes from most of the people who had interest before (keeping it to a morning drive so no one has to get a hotel if they don't want to). In addition, I posted to the board rather than a private conversation in case there are others in the area who wanted to join (all are welcome!).

So, I tried to find races in the Milwaukee, WI area between July 1st, 2017 and December 31st, 2017 that offered a range of distances, and didn't break the bank. This is not an exhaustive list and I'm definitely open to other suggestions as well.

Date - Race - Location - Distance offered - Current Price - Next increase - Website

7/30/17 (?) - Cudahy Classic - Cudahy, WI - 5 mile, 10 mile - $25, $30 - Not till race day - http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/CudahyClassic.htm

8/26/17 - Strider Half Marathon - Milwaukee, WI - 13.1 - $39 - Not till race day - http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/StriderHalfMarathon.htm

9/3/17 - Lake Michigan Marathon - Milwaukee County Parks - 13.1, 20 mile, Marathon, 50k - $50, $20, $70, $80 - June 30th - http://www.lakemichiganmarathon.com/index.html

9/9/17 - Brewers Mini Marathon - Brewers Stadium - 5k, 10k, 13.1 - $30, $45, $65 - Feb 18th - http://www.race-brewers.com

9/24/17 - DoLittle Marathon - Waukesha, WI - 5k, 10k, 10 mile, 13.1, 20 mile, 26.2 - $30, $30, $35, $35, $40, $50 - May 1st - http://www.silvercirclesportsevents.com/dolittle-marathon

10/14&15/17 - Milwaukee Running Festival - Milwaukee, WI - 1 mile, 5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2 - $25, $30, $40, $80, $90 - March 31st - http://www.milwaukeerunningfestival.com/registration.html

Early Nov 2017 (Not Thanksgiving) - Turkey Trot Prediction Contest - Greendale, WI - 2 mile, 15k - $16 (no matter distance) - Not till race day - http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/TurkeyTrot.htm

Thoughts?

@roxymama @opusone @rteetz @pixarmom @mateojr @*DisneyDreamer @Tardisblue

@surfde22 @DisSconnie (little further away for you two though)

If I'm forgetting someone please tag them as well.

For me personally, I will treat this as a training run and help @roxymama crush whatever goal she wants to crush!

Last edited:
I was planning on the brewers half if anyone is interested. The running festival sounds cool too a story I've volunteered for that before.

Are they doing the cream puff 5K again at State Fair park in WI? That was fun but hot. It's all worth it when you get that big cream puff at the end.

Edit: looks like there isn't any update on the site for the cream puff 5K yet.

http://www.creampuff5k.com/

The Brewers one seems really cool because that's just an awesome stadium and has lots of distances to pick from. And beer. I have to think that roxyhusband would want to come with us for that.
The city of Waukesha was on the Bachelor last night (his hometown) so I know how important that would be to all of you :rotfl2:

And the Milwaukee running festival looks pretty good too.

I'll have to check my family calendar more thoroughly to make sure there aren't any conflicts. I do think a sub 60 min. 10k is still high on my list, but a half PR would be cool too (assuming I wouldn't be stopping for characters like at Tink...unless the Brewer sausage race guys are out there.)

The Brewers one seems really cool because that's just an awesome stadium and has lots of distances to pick from. And beer. I have to think that roxyhusband would want to come with us for that.
The city of Waukesha was on the Bachelor last night (his hometown) so I know how important that would be to all of you :rotfl2:

And the Milwaukee running festival looks pretty good too.

I'll have to check my family calendar more thoroughly to make sure there aren't any conflicts. I do think a sub 60 min. 10k is still high on my list, but a half PR would be cool too (assuming I wouldn't be stopping for characters like at Tink...unless the Brewer sausage race guys are out there.)

I think I could swing either of those (10k sub-60 or HM around 2:07) for the Brewers. It is my last long run weekend (9/10/17) prior to my October marathon, but a 2:07 HM wouldn't be stretching it much further than I would have planned otherwise on Saturday (would have done around a 8:30-9:00 for 90 minutes). The 10k sub-60 would definitely be doable and I would just add some mileage pre/post.

The Milwaukee Festival would come on the heels of taking time off after the marathon, but I'd be confident I could do the 10k sub-60. I'd probably be able to manage the 2:07 HM as well.

I'm leaning a lot more towards the sub-60 10k option, just because it's something I'd really like to do this year!!! Having that 1:01 split is just so dang close that it's annoying me how close I got :)

I'm still in! My vote would be for Brewers or Milwaukee Running Festival. I've already done the Brewers 10K twice, and love running on the warning track at Miller Park, so I was probably going to go back this year (not sure whether for the 10K again or the half). And MRF is on my list as well, since I've wanted to the past 2 years since it started, but both years I did Wine and Dine and the weekend was either the same or the weekend before. Both have all the distance options (5K, 10K, half).

I'm also a Wisconsinite runner. I'm new to the Rundisney thing though. : )

The Brewers 10K is a deceptively challenging course. I always forget that there are some pretty nasty hills in that area and I feel like the 10K course pretty much plays connect the dots with them. If you're going for a PR on that one, make sure you hit the hills in training. : )

It's pretty cool that Running Festival is adding a 10k this year. It was a big jump from 5k to half distances. MRF is my favorite half in the area. The course keeps my mind occupied, and the miles just fly by.

The Brewers 10K is a deceptively challenging course. I always forget that there are some pretty nasty hills in that area and I feel like the 10K course pretty much plays connect the dots with them. If you're going for a PR on that one, make sure you hit the hills in training. : )

It's pretty cool that Running Festival is adding a 10k this year. It was a big jump from 5k to half distances. MRF is my favorite half in the area. The course keeps my mind occupied, and the miles just fly by.
There are definitely quite a few tough hills on the Brewers course. One being the 360 degree ramp. Ugh.

Glad to hear you like the MRF half course! I'm considering that one, so a good course is an important factor.

I'm leaning a lot more towards the sub-60 10k option, just because it's something I'd really like to do this year!!! Having that 1:01 split is just so dang close that it's annoying me how close I got :)

Sounds good. We'll CRUSH that 1:01 no doubt!

I'm still in! My vote would be for Brewers or Milwaukee Running Festival. I've already done the Brewers 10K twice, and love running on the warning track at Miller Park, so I was probably going to go back this year (not sure whether for the 10K again or the half). And MRF is on my list as well, since I've wanted to the past 2 years since it started, but both years I did Wine and Dine and the weekend was either the same or the weekend before. Both have all the distance options (5K, 10K, half).

Awesome!

:welcome:

Rutroh @roxymama ! Coming from flatland might make the 10k hills difficult. Definitely something to consider. I wonder how the MRF 10k course will compare.

There are definitely quite a few tough hills on the Brewers course. One being the 360 degree ramp. Ugh.

Glad to hear you like the MRF half course! I'm considering that one, so a good course is an important factor.

It does seem like the consensus thus far is revolving around Brewers or MRF. Both seem like great choices.

Brewers - Starts at 7:00-7:15am. Expo is Thurs or Fri, but it does allow friends to pick up (with ID copy) and a $25 will call packet pickup.

MRF - Starts at 7:30-7:45am. Expo date hasn't been updated yet, but it does allow friends to pick up (with ID copy) and a $25 will call packet pickup.

I'd prefer the brewers over the MRF. I would be able to use that as a possible proof of time. MRF would be too late for that. Of course I could do both. If I did both I'd probably do the half for the brewers and 10K for the MRF.

It does seem like the consensus thus far is revolving around Brewers or MRF. Both seem like great choices.

I'd definitely consider coming out for a race, maybe make a long weekend of it or something. MRF would be the one I'm considering. Brewers is the week before my 10 Mile "A" race, so I won't want to do another race so close to it. I have some revenge to get on that course.

What are hills? Are they anything like the 3 foot tall mountains in my neighborhood? :/

Speed bumps don't count as hills.

It looks like my calendar is pretty clear for MRF if that's what everyone decides on. (I had to google to see if there were medals...and they do have pretty nice looking ones for all race distances. I know bling isn't the most important thing, but I like bling.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!