"Millionaire" closing on 8/19

Tink's Tormentor said:
The Millionaire sound stage is huge... And this ride is going to require a huge space, eliminating Sounds Dangerous, and making it cheaper to just use an existing soudstage that would fit this new ride (Millionaire).... This would also be the cheaper option than building a new show building by Al's.. that also means more money to put into the features of the ride and experience, not the building...

Good, because that building needs this type of plussing, that's for sure

dbm20th said:
OK, that is because the info is sketchy, but recently it has become a bit more clear.

It seems this is going to be interactive, like Buzz, but not that simple by any means. It is apparently going to 3-D virtual reality based, there is a ride in Universal it is being compared to but I have not been on it. I want to say something about Spiderman, but I'm not sure. It will have a much larger ride vehicle than Buzz, with 6-10 passengers riding back to back facing a mirror image on each side of the vehicle. It will be a shooting game like Buzz, and it seems to involve Toy Story characters, but not just one theme. There has been rumblings that it may include the army guys in one seen, Woody in another scene, etc., etc.

Actually that sounds more like the CAVE technology rumored to be put in the Great Movie Ride some years back. If youve ever been on the POTC game at DisneyQuest, it's the same technology.

Personally, I wish they would go back to the "old' studios stuff, you know, back when they actually made TV shows there {you remember, The new Mickey Mouse club, Thunder in Paradise, that short with Bette Midler} and you walked along the catwalk and were able to actually watch what was going on from behind the glass. Too bad they can't come up with something decent for all of that space....... :confused3

ChrisFL said:
Actually that sounds more like the CAVE technology rumored to be put in the Great Movie Ride some years back. If youve ever been on the POTC game at DisneyQuest, it's the same technology.

I'm not sure if I know what CAVE tech is.

While the official announcement has not been made, Millionaire is set to cease by the fall. I did not hear a date.

Pirates at DQ is pretty darn cool (and popular).
The ride dbm20th described sounded more like Men in Black at USO than Spiderman at IoA.

I could see them building a new ride in the old Hunchback theatre area.
It would require a lot of moving around and clearing to build behind Al's Toy Barn. Just would not seem to make sense when they have the Hunchback area to work with. And with the rumors that have been going for years about IN Jones closing up -- take that space instead of clearing and building behind the Toy Barn. :confused3

mitros said:
Good riddance {IMHO} to millionaire. Don't like the TV show, don't like the attraction. But that's just me......... :teeth:

This is one British invention I would be glad to say goodbye to also !!!

David

doombuggy said:
While the official announcement has not been made, Millionaire is set to cease by the fall. I did not hear a date.

The rumored date is August 19th.. Way before the fall....

While on the phone with a CM yesterday working out dining reservations, I asked if she knew anything about the fate of "Millionaire". After a bit of searching, she came up with information indicating that it will close August 15 (although the 19th makes more sense than mid-week; but Wednesdays generally aren't all that busy at the Studios, so who knows) and then read something about in an effort to keep updating and adding new attractions...

Frankly, I'll miss it - I "need" that leather jacket :teeth: from the million point level.

There is actually plenty of room there - for people not familiar with the original walking portion of the backstage tour, that's actually three soundstages wide, long, whatever. There's no way this attraction uses/used all the available space.

I just wanna know what's going to happen to Kevin, the Host/Soundstage Manager with the REALLY nice blue eyes and the great smile!

kaytieeldr said:
While on the phone with a CM yesterday working out dining reservations, I asked if she knew anything about the fate of "Millionaire". After a bit of searching, she came up with information indicating that it will close August 15 (although the 19th makes more sense than mid-week; but Wednesdays generally aren't all that busy at the Studios, so who knows) and then read something about in an effort to keep updating and adding new attractions...

Frankly, I'll miss it - I "need" that leather jacket :teeth: from the million point level.

There is actually plenty of room there - for people not familiar with the original walking portion of the backstage tour, that's actually three soundstages wide, long, whatever. There's no way this attraction uses/used all the available space.

I just wanna know what's going to happen to Kevin, the Host/Soundstage Manager with the REALLY nice blue eyes and the great smile!

He is going to become part of the new attraction... LoL...

AllEars.net is reporting the closing date of WWTBAM as August 18th. The information can be found in this week's newsletter.

mitros said:
Personally, I wish they would go back to the "old' studios stuff, you know, back when they actually made TV shows there {you remember, The new Mickey Mouse club, Thunder in Paradise, that short with Bette Midler} and you walked along the catwalk and were able to actually watch what was going on from behind the glass. Too bad they can't come up with something decent for all of that space....... :confused3

Agreed! I was 13 when MGM first opened, and I was a HUGE fan of the new MMC. Used to make my parents get up at 5am on Saturdays to get in line for tickets to tapings. Spent my formative years hanging around that set...sigh, memories. But as an actress, and hugely interested in all things movie-making, that was by far my favorite park. Now it looks like actual filming there is firmly a thing of the past, and now that Millionaire's closing I guess I'll just be stopping by that park for a quick ride on ToT and RnRC before moving on to better things. Truly sad, and truly a waste of a once-great park.

Received another WWTBAM closing confirmation from a DVC CM. I was booking my May vacation and asked the CM if she was aware of the closing rumor. She told me that it was not a rumor and that WWTBAM is scheduled to close on August 19th. She also told me that she had no information as to what was replacing the show at this time.

This is sad. I did WWTBAMPI for the first time in September last year and it was one of my favorite attractions. I did it like 6 times in the two weeks we were there. We might be coming back this fall and that was an attraction I was looking forward to. Oh well... maybe they will put an Incredible's ride there. That would make it better! :thumbsup2

This is very sad. I loved the WWTBAM-PI attraction. It will be very sad to see it go.

According to a thread on the attractions board, the last day of operation is August 18

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter