Merchandise etiquette?

Now, I don’t know what his exact situation was, but I think he just bought 2 pins, one for himself and another for his wife (both middle aged). Thinking back on it, I was a bit annoyed that once he knew it was the last 2 pins, and I wanted one too, he didn’t agree to just get one and let me get the other.

Can you imagine how annoyed his wife would be if he said “sorry love I didn’t get you one because there was only 2 left and I thought a stranger I had spoken to for a few minutes was more deserving of the pin that you”

I wouldn't be able to do that to someone

You would rather do it to your wife? Best friend? Kid? Grandchild? Than a total stranger....

Not that I would have bought a second pin for someone I live with. I’m sorry but I do not understand this having 2 if you live in the same household.

My kids would disagree.

He was certainly within his rights. That said, if the guy was considerate, he would have only purchased one. Jerk.

How is he a jerk? I think his lady is a jerk for being annoyed that someone bought a totally reasonable amount of pins.
Is she the jerk if he did leave the last one for her but the person behind her wanted one too?

He was certainly within his rights. That said, if the guy was considerate, he would have only purchased one. Jerk.
So if I am in line to buy two, one for my grandson and one for my granddaughter, I should only buy one (and give it to which grandchild) so someone could get one? I do not think he was a jerk. I have been in the same exact position a few years ago. Limit was 2, and the gentleman in front of me bought the last two. He wasn't a jerk. I knew the limits and knew I was close to the point they were going to cut off. I missed it. I should have been in line earlier.

How is he a jerk? That seems unfair. Maybe he wanted one for him and one for his kid. Should he go without because he got there before the OP? If he was buying a lot a could understand the frustration but buying 2 is not excessive.
He could have given the one he purchased to his kid if that was the case. I said that he was well within his rights, but nevertheless, he was selfish.

So if I am in line to buy two, one for my grandson and one for my granddaughter, I should only buy one (and give it to which grandchild) so someone could get one? I do not think he was a jerk. I have been in the same exact position a few years ago. Limit was 2, and the gentleman in front of me bought the last two. He wasn't a jerk. I knew the limits and knew I was close to the point they were going to cut off. I missed it. I should have been in line earlier.
A little birdy is telling me that this guy likely isn't buying both pins for beloved family members. There are a lot of "could have beens" in life, but I like to focus on the most realistic scenario. He probably bought them both with the intention of selling one or both of them. That is an extremely common practice with limited edition pins.

He could have given the one he purchased to his kid if that was the case. I said that he was well within his rights, but nevertheless, he was selfish.

Either way he is giving up something. Why should he not have one so that she can?
Why would you expect a stranger to make a sacrifice for you? Who is it that is really being selfish.

I've been that guy. I get to talking with the fellow collectors in line, get to the counter and buy the last 2 items. It seems unfair; why do I need 2? Because I promised my friend who couldn't make it that I would get one for her. If I had bought one and the person behind me bought one then the next person would have missed out - I guess that person would be the jerk for buying the last one. It makes me sad to think that people like Shanti think I'm a jerk and selfish because I do a nice thing for a long time personal friend and not someone I met in line and spoke to for a few minutes.

Don't worry about people like that. Just because they think something, it doesn't make them right.

Well -- they limit candy cane purchases to two per person. I presume they do this to make it fair since these are things that are in high demand and they want to minimize feelings of unfairness. Is it really the happiest place on Earth if people leave feeling not valued?

They only make so many candy canes. That Guy Fieri (sp?) a few years back where he went and helped with that, showed that they make X amount of candy canes for the day. Therefore the limit.

I've been that guy. I get to talking with the fellow collectors in line, get to the counter and buy the last 2 items. It seems unfair; why do I need 2? Because I promised my friend who couldn't make it that I would get one for her. If I had bought one and the person behind me bought one then the next person would have missed out - I guess that person would be the jerk for buying the last one. It makes me sad to think that people like Shanti think I'm a jerk and selfish because I do a nice thing for a long time personal friend and not someone I met in line and spoke to for a few minutes.

Don't worry about posters like that. It's none of anyone else's business why you do what you do. You do or don't have to have a valid reason for buying a little or a lot. There's always a way to make sure you aren't left out... plan better.

I mean, look at it this way... we're coming up on 2 of the biggest days for deals in the USA. Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I'm sure there's gonna be plenty of people on here letting fly because they didn't get a hot item. I'll even say it now.. the zombie thread of Amazon will rear its ugly head again. What will it say? "I waited for it to be X:00am/pm and when I went to click on 'add item to cart' it said they sold out... in 3 seconds". Amazon has a set amount of its deal products. Let's say (example coming) 10,000 Sodastreams. If 75,000 people are waiting to go click crazy at the very second they open the deal, 10k sodastreams go quick. People get left out, cut off, unable to buy the deal. It happens. Kinda like ADR's at hot places at WDW.

Someone's gonna end up the 1st empty handed with Limited items. Limited merchandise doesn't follow the "everyone gets a trophy" rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!