Megan & Nick, March 2018, WP & BWI Ballrooms (Update 9/26 - Random Updates)

Oh, it's so beautiful! I think the cap sleeves will tone it down, but I think it definitely captures that essence you were describing of Snow White! So, so gorgeous!

Also, this may be a verrrry silly question, but what is a Viennese hour? Lol

Oh, it's so beautiful! I think the cap sleeves will tone it down, but I think it definitely captures that essence you were describing of Snow White! So, so gorgeous!

Also, this may be a verrrry silly question, but what is a Viennese hour? Lol

Thank you!!! That’s SO good to hear from a fellow Disney nut. :goodvibes

Not silly at all! It’s a dessert buffet set up after the cake service (think it’s usually toward the end of the reception). I’ve heard it called a Venetian hour too. It's a popular feature where we’re from, so it’s intelligible to our families, and a convenient way of letting them know what’s going on without letting them know what’s going on. ;) (Fortunately, super long receptions are also not unheard of here, so it’s only slightly weird that our reception starts at 4:30 and doesn’t theoretically end until 10. :rolleyes1)

It was the first time I really had that “bride” feeling. Unfortunately, I got it from both of them. :rotfl: I was so torn between them, I couldn’t make a decision there and then, but joined DF on a business trip and thought about it for about two weeks. Finally, I decided, but kept it a secret from my mom and maid of honor- both of whom came with me on the “final” trip to the salon. They both liked the same one- the second, with the lace panels. Which was the one I had gone into the store thinking I was going to buy (and is, in the end, the one I got)! Unfortunately, when I put the other one on, I’d kind of fallen in love with it again (and omg it was SO much more comfortable/lightweight), and I had a small panic attack about it when I got home. But, in the end, I love that my gown has a more dramatic train (been dreaming of taking bridal portraits on that staircase in the Grand Floridian lobby since I was a kid :laughing:), and, as my MOH pointed out, it creates a very “floaty” effect when I’m walking, which was exactly what I’d dreamed of. :love: So, I do think I made the right call. I’m probably going to have them add cap sleeves, which I think might help tone it down, in a way I can’t really articulate. Got the veil to go with it in the same trip and am currently on the hunt for shoes. :woohoo:

Your Dress is so pretty!! I definitely get the Snow White/floaty vibe from it and think adding the cap sleeves will be perfect! I cannot wait to see pictures of it!

7. A Long Update in Which Little is Actually Accomplished (inc. shoes, officiant, pre-planning session stuff)

Whoops, it's apparently been over a month since I updated. Which is maybe because we haven't gotten much "set" in the meantime. Most of the wedding planning time has been spent trying to get our menu tasting selections and planning kit together, since we're having our planning session in about two and a half weeks (barring disasters). Also trying to get my bridesmaids' gowns, which has been a logistical disaster (more on that below). But we did achieve a few things:

1. I have my shoes! After weeks and weeks of ordering and returning I think possibly every remotely bridal-looking flat shoe on the Internet, I settled on this one by Pink Paradox London (via Nordstrom).

lOYzd0y.png

I also purchased this more casual pair from DSW.

qlgIZWa.png

They’re just the teensiest bit too loose, but the “real” pair is just the teensiest bit tight and I’m worried I’ll have a hard time fitting into them after a couple of days of walking around the parks with our families. So, the second one is the "backup" pair in case my feet are killing me. Both of them combined cost just slightly above the $100 limit I’d set for my bridal shoes, so I think I'm okay. :rolleyes1 Turns out there is not a huge selection of "bridal flats" out there, but I'm already "the same height as" (read: "slightly taller than") the groom and haven't worn heels in years. (Should mention that the groom doesn't really care, being a modern sort of fellow, but I always felt awkward, and at this point I'm not sure I could walk in heels if I wanted to. :laughing:)

2. I made ADRs for our Disneymoon (we’re staying in Disney for a week after the wedding, then heading on a cruise out of Port Canaveral). I have never in my adult life booked a trip more than 180 days out before, so I went a liiiittle nuts making reservations for places like Be Our Guest and Akershus and Victoria & Albert’s that usually aren’t even options for us. I don’t even know if I want the food from some of these places (well, okay, I do from V&A’s, but the price tag is, uh… intense). But it’s probably our one chance to try them, so I’m taking advantage of that. :woohoo:

3. We booked our officiant! A close family friend, who is now an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church, will be marrying us. I was having a really hard time finding a secular officiant I thought we’d “click” with in Central Florida, so I’m very, very glad he agreed to do this for us. He's got the right personality for it and was the first person we asked. :) (And he’s currently way more on the ball than I am- he’s already drafting stuff for the ceremony and I’m like, “uh… yes… the ceremony… we’re pretty tied up picking cake flavors right now, but yeah I’ll definitely get right on that…”)

And I think that’s all the things that are actually settled. The main thing I’ve been working on this whole time (and still have nothing to show for it) is:

4. The bridesmaid gowns. I only have three bridesmaids, but their schedules were impossible to coordinate so we had to shop online, and getting opinions from them was like pulling teeth. I started in July, since (as I warned them) they really need to place orders by the end of September/early October- which they still have not done. The whole time, I tried to give them as much control as possible (with the least amount of inconvenience to them), because I am apparently either really stupid, or really masochistic. I got nothing but "you can pick! I don't care! I'll wear anything!" Until, of course, last week, when they'd (FINALLY) all tried one on that I liked and was ready to go with, when my FSIL decided she didn't like it, or any of the other options that had been on the table, and we needed to start from scratch. And my MOH jumped on it (after having told me she was fine with the dress I liked). So much for "I don't care, I'll wear whatever." :rolleyes:

In the end, they agreed that I could just pick a designer and a color/fabric based on the swatches I already had, and they would pick out individual gowns (that I can veto if needed), on the understanding that they really need to place an order within the next month. I’m taking FSIL to a shop the weekend before my planning session (which, ugh, not really the ideal time), and I have no idea what’s going on with the other two. But at this point, they know the time crunch (or they should, since I keep explaining it to them), so I'm filing it under "not my problem anymore."

Vk2c8vX.jpg

Anyway, they’ll be wearing something manufactured by the Dessy Group, in celadon green chiffon. My mom and her mom both had green bridesmaid dresses at their respective weddings, so I wanted to keep the tradition going (though I initially offered them pink too anyway, since it tends to be somewhat easier to wear than green, but by the end I was fed up enough that I stopped caring and made the call for them). :rolleyes1

5. As I said, we've also been working on getting our planning kit together. It's pretty comprehensive, but I've gathered from Carrie's podcasts that we don't need to have anything set in stone. It's kind of annoying that they want you to choose decor options before they tell you how much any of it costs. I get that this is a preliminary thing to see what we're thinking, but it would be so much easier to add things if we find out we can fit them in the budget than take things out after we've already been thinking about them and how nice they'd be. :laughing:

At any rate, I have pretty much no specific thoughts on floral beyond colors (shades of pink, white, green... other pastels if they'll go, I guess- maybe get some yellow or lavender up in there). I know I want lots of greenery, I know I don't want lillies, and I know I prefer flowers that don't have, like, that big disc in the center that petals come out of (like a daisy or a sunflower). I mean, I've been doing my research, and looking up seasonality, and all this stuff, and I'm still pretty... buh? :confused3 So, hopefully, we can just sort of give them a dollar amount, show them some pictures and give them a general idea, and see what they can do (and hope that they don't absolutely hate us). Some references:

0qxb7L0.jpg

bjvRc5i.jpg

LQHcDTc.jpg

w5Q8y0a.jpg

Okay, I'll admit, I do really, really want a floral arch at the ceremony, but we're going to have to see how the money shakes out. If there's any room at all for it, though... :love:

Anyway, the other main thing in the planning kit that's been taking lots of time/thought is the choices of music for the ceremony. I really want a string quartet, so that I'm pretty settled on as long as the pricing is doable. But picking out the actual songs has been a problem because it turns out I love every single song, in the universe, ever, and I'm having a hard time narrowing down the selection. For now, I think we're going with specifically requesting:
Prelude: "A Whole New World," "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" (if not using it later). Both classic Disney, but we also have a personal connection with both, so I want to make sure they're represented somewhere. (Although there's a nonzero chance we'll end up using CYFTLT? as our first dance.)
Seating Grandparents/Parents: I'm going to request "Mairi's Wedding," which is a traditional Scottish song that I grew up on by way of the Clancy Brothers (an Irish group). If they can't get music for it, my second choice is "The Second Star to the Right" from Peter Pan, third choice is "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?"
Bridal Party Entrance: "I See the Light." Tangled is, like, Our Movie. :lovestruc
Bride's Entrance: The traditional Wagner wedding march.
Unity Ceremony: "One Hand, One Heart" from West Side Story, which I have wanted played at my wedding since I was 14. (Don't ask me what our unity ceremony is yet, but we're definitely doing something...)
Recessional: Handel's "Hornpipe" from the Water Music Suite

I've been trying to find a place we could maybe work in some music from Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter (our primary non-Disney nerd interests), but no good ideas yet. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!