Medicare Wellness Checkup

I'm on Medicare and I don't even know what this "Wellness check" is. I did have a more complete physical, with questions and answers, the first year I was on Medicare. Then, last year I remember she had me draw a clock with a specific time, then told me 3 words which I had to recite back to her a few minutes later. But a plan for the day? OMG, maybe I should study for my next appointment.
That is part of the Medicare Wellness exam. I had mine in January. Every year, I have to answer a long questionnaire, draw the clock and remember the three words. I see my PCP every six months and this checkup is always the first one of the year. I also had blood work and a bone density scan as part of my regular check up.

Last edited:
My PCP office has gotten used to hearing me tell them it's none of their business to many of the questions they have to ask in order to get paid for the visit.
Not sure withholding any information from your PCP is productive if you want to get the best medical care.

I've never had to answer a long questionanaire, draw a clock or remember 3 words. I've also never had to have blood work or any other tests done for it.

None of the my doctor's business if I have firearms or alcohol in my home.
Fire arms, okay. Alcohol and the use of it can have an impact on your health so that is a fair question IMHO.

I’ve been on Medicare for less than 2 years, so not a lot of personal experience yet. However, I accompanied both my parents to all their medical appointments from 2010 thru my dad’s passing in 2015 & my mom’s in 2022. That included all their annual wellness visits. Not once did their doctor say they couldn’t bring up any new issues or concerns, nor has mine in the last 2 years. To the contrary, the doctors, practitioners & PAs have specifically asked if we had any concerns or issues we wanted to address. My parents primary was a wonderfully compassionate woman who would spend over an hour with each of them. I doubt Medicare has rules that say the provider can’t address new issues. The problem is, they won’t pay the doctor extra for doing so. So the individual office sets a policy that you can’t ask about new problems. They have you make another appointment to get paid separately for that. That is not how all medical practices operate.

As for the screening forms, clock drawing & word memory, they serve a purpose. I do my screening forms online before my appointment. They don’t do the memory screening, but I’m 66. I assume once the nurse meets & starts talking to me, they see they don’t need it. I expect down the road sometime, they’ll eventually start memory screening for me too. My parents were in their 80s, with declining health. Plus my mom had vascular dementia after 2 strokes. Assessing their memories was a necessary part of a complete health screening & assessment of their overall well-being. So, yes, they were asked to draw a clock & remember the words penny, apple & table. Hmm, I can still remember the words they were asked to remember, so I guess I’d pass the memory screening after all.

That is part of the Medicare Wellness exam. I had mine in January. Every year, I have to answer a long questionnaire, draw the clock and remember the three words. I see my PCP every six months and this checkup is always the first one of the year. I also had blood work and a bone density scan as part of my regular check up.
Yes! I knew I was a goner when the nurse asked me to remember the 3 words she had mentioned earlier!:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter