? medical alert braclet

TiggerStac

<font color=darkorchid>I'm going to join in on thi
I'm looking to order my youngest (15 month old) a medical alert braclet. I found some that I like. Now, hopefully he doesn't play w/it or try and take it off...or I'll have to order several sets of the shoe ones. Anyways, they say they are for toddlers/kids.

What exactly do you put on yours other than why you have it on?? He has mastocytosis and whoever sees him needs to be aware. Everyone who cares for him knows and has an info sheet to give to dr treating him (per his dr) but what if something happens to me or husband or whoever is with him and we can't speak for him. I hate to think so badly, but it's my fear.

So what is on your bracelet?? There are a lot of issues/complications w/the disease, so I don't know if disease is enough or if I should add more. we also carry epipen for him, etc...

My son has an actual medic-alert bracelet, not a knock off. His lists his main deadly likely to be encountered in a hospital or emergency situation allergies, and then just says "immune deficiency" because the actual name of it would never fit on a bracelet, and few people would know what it was anyway because it's so rare. So I'd get a real medic-alert because they can call MA and get ALL the information. Put his most pertinent Dx/limitation on it, the one that is most likely cause a problem, and then they can call for the rest.

Hi, I just read your PM and will respond to you there as well.

We do have a medic alert bracelet for my DS (with masto). We had his first and last name and "Mastocytosis Rare Condition" printed on the front. On the back we listed "Anaphylaxis Epi Pen" and our cell phone numbers.

We had gotten one for Christopher when he was first diagnosed with diabetes. We ended up using the dog tags more than anything else. I couldn't find any way of keeping the bracelet on him. I ended up putting tags no his shoes, on his backpack, on his carseat, and on his jacket zippers. Maybe when he's older, I can get him to wear the bracelets.

Just my opinion - don't try to do the ones that look like the cause bracelets - I don't know what those are really called, but the ones like the "Livestrong" ones. I work as a paramedic, and honestly, we would never notice those. All of the kids, and plenty of adults, have then in a million different colors. It wouldn't occur to me during an emergency to look at one of those. Stick to a regular Medical Alert tag - those tend to jump out at us.

Jen...the ones I'm seeing are not the metal medical alert ones, they are I don't even know what type of material...almost like backpack straps and it velcros on him. it has a medical alert piece that goes on the front of it (medal) that slides on and looks just like the info piece on med alert bracelts. That's what I'm finding for little guys other then the tags to put on their shoes...most of his dont' have laces.

Jen...the ones I'm seeing are not the metal medical alert ones, they are I don't even know what type of material...almost like backpack straps and it velcros on him. it has a medical alert piece that goes on the front of it (medal) that slides on and looks just like the info piece on med alert bracelts. That's what I'm finding for little guys other then the tags to put on their shoes...most of his dont' have laces.

Those might work - I saw a lot of the wristband type when I was looking for them, and thought it might be one of the worst ideas ever.

We had a bear of a time getting the dog tags into shoes. DH spent a while working on it, and finally got them on the straps for his Keen's attached to his Croc's like one of those Jibbitz. But the Velcro sneakers never worked :)

My two sons have their own medical alert bracelets. It is because for their medications, becuase they both have asthma. The doctor in the hospital required me to buy them medical alert id so that they can access the health of my two sons faster.

medic alert will make them as small as you need them, and it would be near impossible for any child to remove.

My daughter does have her own medical alert bracelet. It is because for her medications, becuase she hava an asthma. So I bought her a medical alert bracelet.

I noticed a problem with my medic alert bracelet is that most of the printing came off so be careful about the metal ones. They might need replacing after a few years.

My son has an actual medic-alert bracelet, not a knock off. His lists his main deadly likely to be encountered in a hospital or emergency situation allergies, and then just says "immune deficiency" because the actual name of it would never fit on a bracelet, and few people would know what it was anyway because it's so rare. So I'd get a real medic-alert because they can call MA and get ALL the information. Put his most pertinent Dx/limitation on it, the one that is most likely cause a problem, and then they can call for the rest.
::yes:: :thumbsup2
I would recommend a real Medic Alert band too.
http://www.medicalert.org/
That is really the only good way to get the information to the caregivers.
They have some really nice bracelets in various styles and sizes.

A bracelet is only part of the system. The real Medic Alert ones give access to the medical information (like your contact information, MD contact information) and you have a chance to review it and change it when necessary - if a phone number changes, you don’t have to worry about what is printed on the bracelet, emergency caregivers can get up to date information 24 hours a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter