Medals and airplanes

Princesspixi

Mouseketeer
I have a weird question. Can I fly with a medal in my carry on? I feel like it should be ok but I don't want to get to security and have it be a problem. I don't want to have to get rid of it!
I figured someone with experience could tell me for sure. Thanks

I've had them in a carry on as well, but I didn't even bother taking them out. I didn't get any questions on it, but might have just gotten lucky on that.

I have a weird question. Can I fly with a medal in my carry on? I feel like it should be ok but I don't want to get to security and have it be a problem. I don't want to have to get rid of it!

I've had them in a carry on as well, but I didn't even bother taking them out. I didn't get any questions on it, but might have just gotten lucky on that.

Like @ZellyB, I had them in my carry on and didn't take them out for screening. One time they took my bag to inspect the medals, and another time the medals passed through without incident.

Ok thanks guys. I'll take it on and make sure I take it out just to avoid any potential problem

There will be no problem. Having a random or focused extra look at a bag is just something that takes an extra few minutes. It's not a problem.

I had no problem in my carry on. I had it wrapped up in tissue paper in a bag too and it was fine.
My guess is that by the time you go through they've seen a fair number of them already.

I always just leave the medals in my bag. The only medal that I've had physically inspected by the TSO was the Tinkerbell with the pointed wings.

I always wrap them in tissue and put them in a protein bar box and keep them in my carry on. Only been stopped for extra screening once.

as long as it is not in the shape of a gun or a pop tart bitten into the shape of a gun, then you will be fun.

when I go home with Dopey medals then I sometimes get checked - it usually flags them because there are so many and they are all metal.

I have been flagged for further inspection only twice for medals in my carry on. I put them in a bag together so that it is easy for the agent to just pull them all out at once. I've not had an issue after they see the medals.

Echoing that it's fine. They're allowed. I have gotten extra screening both in 2016 (Dopey + Castaway Cay Challenge... So there were a ton of medals) and 2017 (Princess all races so less than 2016, but still more than a couple), but I think it's also because my carry on is packed tight with souvenirs I don't want in my checked bag and anything of value.

I've been fortunate enough to get screeners who get the medals are precious to me and are careful when they pull them out and try to put them back exactly like they were.

Mine have been in my carry-on as well and I was never asked to take them out.

I have never checked my medals. Always carry on. And after nearly 30 runDisney weekends, the only time any TSA agent has said a thing was flying out of Orange County (SNA). I had all the Dopey medals (5 metal + 1 rubber), plus the entirety of the Star Wars Light Side inaugural weekend medals (3 metal + 1 rubber) and my Coast to Coast (1 metal). They pulled my bag aside and inspected the medals individually. They spent more time talking to me about running at Disney than checking to see that my bling was bling. Needless to say there was nobody behind me in line to be cleared and I think they just wanted to do more than stand there bored.

I was flagged once because I forgot to take them out of the bag for the scanners. But other times I have left them in and not flagged, might be based on the shape? I do try to remember to place them in the bins, unless I luck out and get pre-check! LOL I even bring some medals with to races (if C2C, Kessel etc) and they don't get flagged there or back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter