Mears Taxi - still love it

patsfan101

Mouseketeer
We just returned and wanted to post our transportation to dinner experience. We were enjoying a record warmth and spent too much time at the pool before dinner and were crunched for time to get to our ADR at Flying Fish from AKL. We decided to take a cab since there is absolutely no wait time. The cost from AKL to Boardwalk was $13 and change, plus tip - less than $17 total and a Minnie Van would have been $25. Just sayin', sometimes a cab is the way to go :)

By the way, before we left all posts said that Minnie Vans were flat fee $20, they are now $25

Yep, Minnie Van price increased same day tickets increased, March 12th

Taxi's are still good for some. We use Uber/Lyft ourselves. Only opt for Minnie Van when going to MK and don't want to walk from CR

We just returned and wanted to post our transportation to dinner experience. We were enjoying a record warmth and spent too much time at the pool before dinner and were crunched for time to get to our ADR at Flying Fish from AKL. We decided to take a cab since there is absolutely no wait time. The cost from AKL to Boardwalk was $13 and change, plus tip - less than $17 total and a Minnie Van would have been $25. Just sayin', sometimes a cab is the way to go :)

By the way, before we left all posts said that Minnie Vans were flat fee $20, they are now $25
I have had very positive experiences with Mears. I had to visit medical concierge and didn't feel comfortable going on uber as a solo female. The mears driver even waited for my appointment to be over to bring me back to Dolphin!

Do all (specifically, AKL Kidani) have taxis posted outside? We’ve always rented s car or used Disney busses but are planning to go to Universal for one night and think a two day rental may be a hassle so a taxi could be an easy option.

Never again will I use Mears! Got "taken for a ride" twice now by Mears drivers who assumed I didn't know my way around.
Most recently a ride from WWOS to the Boardwalk where he took us around in circles -literally, when I asked him why he didn't take that last left to pull into the Boardwalk and he said oh well maybe you don't have to tip me then.

I reported him and go no response from Mears.

I had a very scary experience with a Mears driver. Never again. They should not have let him around customers. I will stick with Lyft and Uber.

Never again will I use Mears! Got "taken for a ride" twice now by Mears drivers who assumed I didn't know my way around.
Most recently a ride from WWOS to the Boardwalk where he took us around in circles -literally,
There is a way to protect yourself from this practice -- both with taxis and Uber/Lyft.

Put Google Maps on your phone. Set the voice directions to OFF so you don't have to listen to them. When you start your ride, enter your destination into Maps, tap "Directions" and then tap "Start." You will get the same display Uber/Lyft drivers use and it will give you turn-by-turn directions. If the driver deviates significantly from the best route you will see it on the Maps display.

There are times when a driver will deviate from the route shown by Google. Sometimes we know things that Google hasn't figured out yet -- like road closures. But those detours are easy to tell from circling.

With Uber, and Lyft in some markets, the route the driver takes should not make any difference in your fare. Uber uses "up-front pricing" and the price you are quoted is the price you pay. Lyft uses up-front pricing in some markets, but I'm not sure they use it in all markets. Taxis, OTOH, are usually metered and you pay by the mile -- so if the driver takes you on a scenic tour, you could pay more.

Mears, incidentally, is highly regarded in the industry. You can have a problem with any individual driver in any system, but I would not hesitate to take Mears. But "trust...and verify" using Google Maps if you're concerned about being cheated.

The only time I used Mears was from Epcot to the Wilderness Lodge. Swiped my credit then the driver told me it did not work and I had to pay in cash and I nearly did not have enough to cover it . Well, the charge went through on the card I found out. Called Mears and got no satisfaction so I disputed the charge with Chase. Chase credited the amount.

I had a very scary experience with a Mears driver. Never again. They should not have let him around customers. I will stick with Lyft and Uber.

And there are plenty of people who have had bad experiences with Uber and Lyft and say they'll stick to taxis. It's impossible for everything to be OK 100% of the time, unfortunately.

I appreciate your comments and fwiw I use ride share and taxi fairly regularly when I travel. I didn't need google maps at that time as I knew where I was and when I asked the driver why he hadn't make the correct turn he got an attitude. He continued to run up the fare despite my calling him out and just told me he knew I wasn't going to tip, I felt trapped and this was an unpleasant experience. Knowing the correct route doesn't guarantee you can compel the driver to take it. Its a bit unfair to insinuate that I was responsible for his unprofessional behavior.

This was the 2nd bad trip I had with Mears, I have also some ok trips but the lack of response from Mears results in my decision to no use them again unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately they are the "go to" with Disney!

Others will make their own decisions and hopefully have good experiences if they choose Mears taxi.

There is a way to protect yourself from this practice -- both with taxis and Uber/Lyft.

Put Google Maps on your phone. Set the voice directions to OFF so you don't have to listen to them. When you start your ride, enter your destination into Maps, tap "Directions" and then tap "Start." You will get the same display Uber/Lyft drivers use and it will give you turn-by-turn directions. If the driver deviates significantly from the best route you will see it on the Maps display.

There are times when a driver will deviate from the route shown by Google. Sometimes we know things that Google hasn't figured out yet -- like road closures. But those detours are easy to tell from circling.

With Uber, and Lyft in some markets, the route the driver takes should not make any difference in your fare. Uber uses "up-front pricing" and the price you are quoted is the price you pay. Lyft uses up-front pricing in some markets, but I'm not sure they use it in all markets. Taxis, OTOH, are usually metered and you pay by the mile -- so if the driver takes you on a scenic tour, you could pay more.

Mears, incidentally, is highly regarded in the industry. You can have a problem with any individual driver in any system, but I would not hesitate to take Mears. But "trust...and verify" using Google Maps if you're concerned about being cheated.

And there are plenty of people who have had bad experiences with Uber and Lyft and say they'll stick to taxis. It's impossible for everything to be OK 100% of the time, unfortunately.

Well, of course. That's a given.

But, a company who has a driver yelling and waving his hands around (instead of having them on the steering wheel) and going on and on about being possessed by the devil and exorcism isn't getting another chance from me. I'm not a one bad thing and I'm done kind of person but this was too much.

I appreciate your comments and fwiw I use ride share and taxi fairly regularly when I travel. I didn't need google maps at that time as I knew where I was and when I asked the driver why he hadn't make the correct turn he got an attitude. He continued to run up the fare despite my calling him out and just told me he knew I wasn't going to tip, I felt trapped and this was an unpleasant experience. Knowing the correct route doesn't guarantee you can compel the driver to take it. Its a bit unfair to insinuate that I was responsible for his unprofessional behavior.

This was the 2nd bad trip I had with Mears, I have also some ok trips but the lack of response from Mears results in my decision to no use them again unless absolutely necessary.
Right, and I agree with your response, except that I would have told the driver to pull over and let me out.

I'm glad you reported him to Mears, but I'm disappointed that you got no response. I can guarantee you that if you ever make a similar complaint to Uber, they will give you an immediate response and they will also immediately investigate your complaint and take appropriate action.

But, a company who has a driver yelling and waving his hands around (instead of having them on the steering wheel) and going on and on about being possessed by the devil and exorcism isn't getting another chance from me. I'm not a one bad thing and I'm done kind of person but this was too much.
Yikes! I would have told him/her to pull over and would have immediately have gotten out of the car. If they wouldn't stop, I would have called 9-1-1.

I'm not riding one additional foot with someone having a psychotic episode!

Right, and I agree with your response, except that I would have told the driver to pull over and let me out.

I'm glad you reported him to Mears, but I'm disappointed that you got no response. I can guarantee you that if you ever make a similar complaint to Uber, they will give you an immediate response and they will also immediately investigate your complaint and take appropriate action.

Honestly I didn't feel hat was an option where we were, no sidewalks and he kept going through a tunnel. It was just my daughter and myself and at that point I felt the only safe option was to wait him out. I was obviously shaken when we got out and the bellman at BWV said he was also going to make a report.

Just looked it up - the fare was 37.50 from WWOS to the boardwalk, should have been less than $20.

JimMIA-I always appreciate your perspective on these topics. It is good to hear from someone with experience from a different vantage point with this.

OK, sure. That's a bad situation, definitely. But again, there are just as many people who have bad experiences with Uber and come on these boards and say "Don't take it. Use Mears." Painting either service with broad strokes of being bad isn't helpful.

There is no right or wrong answer here. People just need to do what they feel most comfortable with.

OK, sure. That's a bad situation, definitely. But again, there are just as many people who have bad experiences with Uber and come on these boards and say "Don't take it. Use Mears." Painting either service with broad strokes of being bad isn't helpful.

There is no right or wrong answer here. People just need to do what they feel most comfortable with.
Agree, and I think 99% of the time any of the options will be fine.

Some rides are better than others -- and believe me, that goes BOTH ways. Most RIDERS are great, but there is that 1%... :eek:

When I traveled all the time for business I hated using random taxis. I preferred SuperShuttle until I found some dedicated taxi drivers that I called direct.

I can’t begin to list the horrid issues that I had with taxi drivers who wanted to join me at my home at 2 am or who didn’t want to give me a ride as it was only 5 miles from the airport not 25 miles.

But none of this was at WDW. Mostly in San Francisco and Dallas.

This exactly what I did on my recent ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter