Mears info

hsmamato2

<font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad
Ok I figured I'd ask this question here rather than tie up OT room on the Uber thread.... Since we're concerned about a 10pm MCO pickup for Uberxl with carseat availability, I checked into mears shuttle- the price isn't bad for r/t. Anyway I called today and a rep said in FL the law doesn't require toddlers to be in a carseat in the 11 person vans,is this right? I was hoping to get on a big bus/no carseat situation. This is really harder than I expected,to plan for this. Any advice appreciated right now-thanks

Soooo..... I'm still confused- does the quote below mean meArs is exempt? Does it apply to
Uber?

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in

Soooo..... I'm still confused- does the quote below mean meArs is exempt? Does it apply to
Uber?

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in
I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen it interpreted as saying that when car seats are required in a hired vehicle, a violation would go against the parents rather than the operator. It doesn't mean car seats are not required.

Whether or not it applies to Uber & Lyft drivers is a subject of much debate within the driver community.

In re your original question, an earlier paragraph of the statute specifically excludes "a bus used for the transportation of persons for compensation." A bus is defined as, "Any motor vehicle designed for carrying more than 10 passengers and used for the transportation of persons." So it sounds like a Mears 11-passenger van would be exempt from the car seat requirement.

Last edited:

hmmmm ok thank you! It sounds unsafe anyway and we wouldn't drive in a regular car without the proper seats-not sure if the big van shuttle would be safer tho like a bus

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!