Me, these two, and a heelan coo: Scotland June 2018

Sorry you're not really enjoying yourself. I just wondered (seriously)when the elevator to the pool area didn't work, couldn't you take the stairs? Could you only get to the pool via the elevator?

I hope the trip gets better for you!

Sayhello

The only stairs were an alarmed fire escape. But I later learned that I could have gone out through the lobby and in to the pool area via an alternate entrance. I don't know the details, but people should definitely talk to the front desk if they encounter issues with the pool elevator.

I am saving my big recap til the end, so I won't tell you now what our final verdict on ABD was.

The only stairs were an alarmed fire escape. But I later learned that I could have gone out through the lobby and in to the pool area via an alternate entrance. I don't know the details, but people should definitely talk to the front desk if they encounter issues with the pool elevator.

I am saving my big recap til the end, so I won't tell you now what our final verdict on ABD was.
You'd think they'd have better signage for something like that!

Looking forward to more of your report!

Sayhello

ABD Day 3 - Floors Castle

When we left off, we had just finished a very busy day in Edinburgh and I was having second thoughts about group travel because of the limited time we had had to explore the major sites in town. But Day 3 promised to be a very different day because it was focused on just one location -- Floors Castle. Floors Castle is in a town called Kelso in the Scottish Borders, which is the area south of Edinburgh, but north of England. (The "border" is the England/Scotland border). Had we done Scotland on our own, the Borders would not have even been on our radar, so Day 3 was in some ways the perfect day by which to judge the value of ABD. How much would we enjoy seeing and doing things that we would not (and, in some cases, could not) see and do on our own?

Day 3 began much the same as our other days in Edinburgh. I got up before the alarm, got ready for the day, and then relaxed until DS got up. DS and I then headed down for breakfast, while DH snoozed. A few minutes before our meetup time, DS and I met DH in the lobby and learned that most everyone else was already on the bus. Apparently, after Day 1, you can just hop right on the bus and grab a seat when you are ready, so people arrived early to secure the choice front-of-the-bus seats. (I was not the only one with motion sickness issues). DS and I ran out to try and get the best seats we could, while DH had one of his famous 5 minute sit-down breakfasts. Everyone including DH was on the bus by the 8:45 meetup time and we were soon on our way. As the favorite parent, I had the privilege of entertaining DS for the drive, while DH got to relax and enjoy the views.

Before too long, we pulled up to beautiful Floors Castle, where most of our group immediately queued up for the bathroom. Meanwhile, Michael and Claire took photos of each family in front of the castle. This is a benefit of ABD that I don't think is mentioned enough. I normally appear in maybe 2 or 3 photos per vacation. On this trip, I was in at least 1 or 2 photos per day thanks to Michael and Claire. Once everyone had reassembled, we entered the foyer for tea and cookies served by the Duke and Dutchess's butler and maid. Now I confess that when I read the description of this activity, I was picturing a sit-down affair where we were waited on. And, of course, Dame Maggie Smith would be there treating us to her sharp observations about the travails of being landed aristocracy. What we actually got was a tea and cookies buffet where everyone grabbed their cups and then drank them standing in the foyer.

36308905_10155710695127877_4681067087630696448_o.jpg

From there, we were separated into two groups. Again, this worked differently than I expected. Based upon prior trip reports, I thought that all of the families with kids would be grouped together. Instead, the kids (and I use these term to refer to everyone under 18 since only 3 of the 15 junior adventurers were under the age of 14) were split up 50/50. Our family was assigned to the group that would be touring the garden first. We started in the Millennium Garden and then moved on to some other garden. I know nothing about this second garden area because DS and I instead headed for the kid's play area. The play area was a bit different from your standard American playground. It had a zip line and various climbing structures. My son took an immediate interest in the zip line, but needed some encouragement to give it a try. I did what any good parent would do and tested it for him. He then requested that we try a tandem zip. It was a bit awkward to fit two people on the zip line, especially when one of those people is a grown adult, and our combined weight meant that my bottom dragged on the ground at certain points. These are the sacrifices we must make as parents.

Before long, the teens in our group came over to give the zip line a try and DS and I moved on to the climbing structures. (Seeing the teens cut loose and enjoy the play area made me really happy and I know that the moment was made possible because our ABD group were the only people in the gardens. In ordinary life, a group of "big kids" using playground equipment tends to get the stink-eye. But I digress).

36413075_10155710702572877_4636086792787853312_o.jpg
36267247_10155710701337877_2106964110485749760_o.jpg

DS and I played on the playground until I dragged him kicking and screaming for a quick peek in the greenhouses before lunch at the castle's cafe. The cafe was closed to the general public for the day, so it was already set up for our lunch when we arrived. I had a pureed vegetable soup to start, followed by a huge plate of vegetable risotto. Both were good, but the portions were so large that my plates still appeared full after I finished eating. I feel pretty confident that we had dessert after our meal, but I have no memory of what that dessert was.

After lunch, we re-divided into our groups and my group headed inside for our tour of the castle. Floors Castle is still inhabited, but the family opens many of the rooms to visitors for tours. (The tours, along with the cafe and a gift shop are all part of the families' plan to keep their estate profitable so that they can continue to live on and maintain their lands.) This particular tour focused on the history of the castle, some of the interesting antiques and art on display there and a bit of the history of the family who lives there. The highlight for my son was a room full of taxidermy birds. There were over 200 specimens on display and there are guides that visitors can use to identify the various species. We were able to identify over 100 birds before it was time to move on to our next activity - shortbread making.

The shortbread making was led by one of the chefs at the castle. The ingredients were already measured for us, so all we needed to do was mix the dough, incorporate any mix-ins and then cut out our cookies. DS says that this was one of the best parts of the day because he is a "great baker." We got our cookies back at the end of the day and I can confirm that they actually were great. (We added chocolate chips and orange zest to our dough and it really took the cookies over the top.)
36321471_10155710701187877_7447166269821812736_o.jpg

After making our cookies, there was some time to relax and have a cup of coffee or tea at the cafe. Those items were "on ABD." While we were enjoying our drinks, an older British woman walked past the "Cafe Closed for Private Event" sign and started to help herself to a beverage. At that point, Claire intervened and explained that the cafe was not open to the public. The woman convincingly feigned ignorance, but I have a hard time believing that she truly thought the castle was providing free coffee and tea to guests.

Properly caffeinated, we decided to take a walk around the castle grounds. The castle is situated so that you have lovely views of rolling hills, with the village (and if memory serves me right, a river) in the distance.
36406604_10155710692932877_6316908238189101056_o.jpg

ABD had some Scottish flags out for family photo ops and the teens in our group were nice enough to share them with DS, who ran around using one as a cape for a while. One of the castle employees even brought out her puppy and Claire and Michael called DS over to pet him. The weather was just perfect and I was really enjoying relaxing and taking in the views, but DS was starting to get antsy. It was at this point that I realized that the official schedule for the day did not allot a big block of time for admiring our picturesque setting. At roughly the same time, my son, who never forgets anything, asked when we were going to see the "cute baby owl" that Michael had mentioned on the bus ride to the castle. That prompted me to look around and I noticed for the first time that a man wearing a thick glove was standing near the castle looking up into the trees.

It seems that the falconer had arrived while we were baking and set up for the falconry demonstration. But upon opening the crate for his owl, the owl had flown into a tree and now refused to come down. Michael and Claire announced that we would wait a while longer while the falconer tried to convince the owl to join us. While we waited, I nipped into the castle gift shop and bought a book about Greyfriars Bobby and a knights and castles snap card game to entertain my son. We read the book twice, played a few games of cards, and ran around a little more. By this time, DS was starting to worry that the baby owl had no plans to come down from his tree. Eventually, Michael announced that there would unfortunately be no falconry. DS immediately dissolved into tears. He had been a remarkably good sport about the delay and I felt terrible that he never got to see his owl. But Michael and Claire had made the right call. The owl was apparently up in the tree until 9:30 that evening when he finally got hungry enough to fly down for a snack.

36295908_10155710701287877_678079296274694144_o.jpg

While the owl was busy being a prima donna, DH and I were getting DS calmed and ready to return to Edinburgh. Because of the owl debacle, we arrived in Edinburgh later than planned. We decided to forgo a night out in Edinburgh and just grabbed sandwiches at the hotel before heading up for bed.

DH and I agreed it had been a great day. DS, on the other hand, said that he would "never" get over not seeing that cute little baby owl.

Last edited:

Following along! We have a DIY trip planned with kids 7 and 10. The Edinburgh Zoo wasn't on my radar, but that penguin parade looks really cute!

As the favorite parent, I had the privilege of entertaining DS for the drive, while DH got to relax and enjoy the views.

This cracked me up! Such is my life too! :faint: :laughing:

Following along! We have a DIY trip planned with kids 7 and 10. The Edinburgh Zoo wasn't on my radar, but that penguin parade looks really cute!

We went to the zoo to appease DS because he really wanted to go on another wildlife focused trip this year, but we were happy we went. It's a beautiful zoo that is doing good work. And the penguin parade is really unique. They waddle out of their enclosure, do a little loop around an open grassy area (where all the humans are corralled) and then waddle back home.

Last edited:
ABD Day 4: En Route to the Highlands (Part 1)

The one and only hotel change on the new ABD Scotland itinerary occurs on Day 4. Since our bags needed to be outside at 7 a.m., we packed everything except our toiletries and a change of clothing the night before. Then I set an alarm for 6:55 and quickly shoved our suitcases out the door when the alarm went off. We kept the ABD duffel with us and used it to carry our toiletries, jammies and DS's stuffed animals and toys. This system worked out well for us and maximized our sleep for the day, but one of the other families was not so lucky. One of their teens accidentally packed all of her shoes in the suitcases that Tinkerbell picked up and the poor kid had to come out to the bus barefoot and rummage around under the bus for her shoes.

Since we had about an hour between the bag pickup and our all-aboard time for the bus, I did not wake anyone else up right away. Instead, I finished 44 Scotland Street while having one last cup of espresso from the in-room coffee maker. I was very happy with how the timing worked out when it came to my themed reading for this trip. 44 Scotland Street takes place in Edinburgh and I finished it just before we left town. That meant I would be reading a mystery novel set in the Highlands during our Highlands portion of the trip. Ahhh. Simple nerd pleasures.

Both DH and DS slept in on day 4, so I poked them awake at 30 minutes until bus time. While getting DS dressed, we noticed that he had lost the Edinburgh pin from his ABD lanyard and I made a note to mention it to Claire. Then, once again, DS and I headed down for breakfast alone. We boarded the bus just as DH was heading into the restaurant for his now standard 5 minute sit-down breakfast. For the first time, DH, DS and I were able to get seats in the same row of the bus -- though DS, of course, wanted to sit with me. Once everyone was aboard the bus, we set off for the Highlands. There were a few sights that I was hoping we would see on our way out of Edinburgh and I was not disappointed. Though I have no photos to show for it, we did get to see the Forth Rail Bridge, the Kelpies and Stirling Castle. I spent much of the rest of the first leg of our drive entertaining DS with books and games. DH put on his headphones and enjoyed the scenery. :mad:

Before too long, we were approaching our first stop -- Glenturret Distillery in the twee little town of Crieff. Although we had departed from Edinburgh in the rain, the weather gods were smiling upon us and it was clear and cool in Crieff. We disembarked the bus and queued up for the restroom. Then we were split into two groups for a tour of the distillery. I am personally not a fan of whisky, and that was underscored when we went into the room where they have barrels that you can sniff. According to the signs, you are supposed to pick up hints of vanilla or coffee or spices depending on the barrel. I leaned over, took a big whiff and smelled ... booze. Undeterred, I moved on to the next barrel where I caught the subtle nuances of more booze. (In the same room, there's also a display on whisky blending that plays music when you whack it with a drum stick. That was a hit with DS and the twin girls who were the only other non-teen junior adventurers on the trip. The three of them treated us to a nice dance number).

Glenturret is not only one of the oldest whisky distilleries in Scotland, it is also the former home of mousing world record holder Towser the cat, who passed away in the early 2000s, and the current home of Glen and Turret -- two less distinguished kitties. While on our tour, we saw either Glen or Turret wandering about and DS decided he needed to pet him or her. Unfortunately, just as we successfully lured the kitty over for a pat, a family came by with their dog. Kitty stiffened and hissed and the dog went wild.
36374598_10155710694877877_7093957402168393728_o.jpg
(We know you are in there, kitty!)

After our cat-petting dreams were dashed, it was on to whisky tasting (and soda tasting for kids). Our guide explained that the correct method for tasting whisky is to hold your drink up to the light, thoughtfully stroke your beard, take a sniff, and then finally take a little taste. For some reason, only DH was able to master that method.

36264276_10155710686432877_3314053708270010368_o.jpg
I took a sip of each of my whiskys and did notice that they had subtle flavor differences. That does not mean I would ever order a whisky, just that I did manage to have a few sips of each glass without doing any spit takes and I can now understand why other people enjoy whisky. DS felt the same about his Irn Bru tasting. He said that Irn Bru is "good," but that he "prefers not to drink it."

From there, we moved on to the gift shop where DH bought a Towser commemorative coaster and 3 types of whisky candy. Then we had a very nice lunch in a private room at the distillery cafe. Now is as good a time as any to mention a cultural difference that I noticed. Whenever I ordered a salad in Scotland, it was served dry. I just assumed they didn't have salad dressing, so I accepted that my salads would be bland and went about my business. But someone else in our group actually asked for dressing during our distillery lunch and a bowl of vinaigrette was brought out for the table. So learn from my mistake. You don't need to eat your salads dry in Scotland, but you apparently do need to specifically request dressing. Lunch finished up with a bowl of chocolate whisky candies, that were a surprise hit with both DH and DS.

After a long lunch, I thought about how much sitting we had been doing that day and I suggested that DS join me for a quick cardio workout. We went out on the distillery's second-floor patio where we jumped up and down for precisely 4 minutes while admiring the adorable little town. Crieff is exactly the type of place I imagined when I imagined the Scottish countryside. Tiny cottages, lots of green foliage, cobbled streets -- just lovely.

After lunch, we all queued up for the restroom again and then loaded back on the bus to continue our journey.

Last edited:

ABD Day 4: En Route to the Highlands (Part 2)

After Glenturret, it was off to see Blair Castle on the outskirts of Cairngorms National Park. Blair Castle was once the home of the Dukes of Atholl -- but the last few Dukes did not have children, so the Dukedom passed to a distant relation in South Africa. He visits the castle once a year, but it is now owned and operated by a trust. The castle has a royal connection because Queen Victoria stayed there. (If you are a fan of Victoria on PBS, the castle was used as a filming location for the episode "The King Over the Water"). Queen Victoria officially granted the castle's private army, the Atholl Highlanders, the right to carry her colors and bar arms and they are now the only private army in Scotland.

36325250_10155710701392877_556996819511410688_o.jpg
When we arrived at the castle, Michael immediately pointed out a peacock and DS pulled out his camera for animal photo time. He said, "I can't believe I saw my first peacock!" He has seen other peacocks, but I didn't spoil the moment for him by telling him he was actually looking at his 3rd or 4th peacock.

36358472_10155710694647877_6887118335608094720_o.jpg

After DS got his peacock photos, we queued up for the restroom and then we were divided into 2 groups for our tour. (Are you noticing a trend yet?) The tour of Blair Castle focused on the evolution of the building from medieval tower to its current incarnation, the history of the Dukes of Atholl and the Queen Victoria connection. My son particularly enjoyed the humongous weapons collection in the foyer and DH and I agree that Blair was our favorite castle of the trip. I don't know if it was the lovely setting for the castle, or the quality of the tour, or the lingering buzz from my 2 sips of whisky in Crieff, but I just really enjoyed being there.

After the tour, we had some time to play dress up with the collection of kilts and medieval clothing in the ballroom. Then, it was back to the bus for the 90 minute drive into Inverness. That was the perfect amount of time to watch a movie, so Claire and Michael put on Brave. Because DS was entertained by the movie, I was able to take an occasional peek at the scenery. But, having never seen Brave before, my attention kept getting drawn back to the movie. The movie ended just as we were approaching Inverness and our home for the next few nights, the Kingsmill Hotel.

Michael mentioned that many guests are put off by the Kingsmill on first approach because the bus pulls into what looks like a strip mall. But then they enter into the hotel's inviting lobby area, and any negative first impressions are forgotten.

Our arrival was incredibly efficient. Within minutes, we had our envelope of keys and we were on our way to our room. The rooms at the Kingsmill are small and lack the wow factor of the Caledonian's rooms, but they served their purpose (and my love of the lobby area made up for my neutral feelings towards the room).

We took some time to relax in our room while waiting for our luggage to arrive. Then we freshened up for dinner and headed back downstairs to the lobby to drop DS off for the Junior Adventurer's movie night. Claire and Michael gathered all the kids and took them across the parking area to the room where the movie night was being held. I know nothing about the location because DS was delivered back to us later in the evening. Since DH and I were already dressed, we hung out in the lobby for a while waiting for the rest of the adult adventurers to join us for dinner. Once the group had assembled, Michael popped back over to lead us to the room where we would be dining and then he re-joined the kids for Zootopia (aka Zoo-opolis).

The adult evening began with another whisky tasting. At our table of 8, there was really only one whisky drinker. The rest of us joked about asking for mixers and I surmised that we would be shamed for making such a request. Imagine my surprise when the expert who led us through our tasting told us that he was perfectly happy if we wanted to add ice, water or even coke -- so long as we were drinking genuine scotch whisky. He led us through a tasting of 4 whiskys, starting with a fruity one and ending with one that tasted like barbecue. The round of coughing that followed everyone's first sip of each drink told me we were in a room full of serious scotch drinkers. (I kid. I think the sole whisky lover in the room was one of the gentlemen seated at my table). I found that adding a splash of water allowed me to actually taste the flavor of the whisky, rather than just the alcohol and so that is what I did. It was interesting to see the variation across one type of spirit, but whisky drinking is still not my thing.
36280430_10155710694252877_6954442025282306048_o.jpg

After whisky-tasting, we ordered dinner off a set menu. I was disappointed to see that the vegetarian option was vegetable risotto again. Since I had just eaten that the day before, I asked for the cheese plate to come out as my main meal. Our server hemmed and hawed so much that I offered to forgo ordering an actual dessert -- but he ultimately relented and let me have my cheese. (Oddly, another person at my table asked to have the cheese plate as her appetizer and was met with no resistance at all). Our table agreed that the food at the Kingsmill was just okay and the service left much to be desired. Two people at our table made the unfortunate decision to order lamb and they did not get their plates until everyone else was more or less finished with their meal. It was to the point where one of the gentlemen offered to eat literally anything they put in front of him, so long as they brought it post haste. Food issues aside, it was very nice to have a chance to talk to adults -- including DH -- without a 5 year old interrupting every two minutes. This built-in date night was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Just as dessert was brought out, DS came running up to sit on my lap. He told me that even though the rest of the kids were older, it turned out they were "crazy," which is high praise from him. I think because DH is always telling him to stop acting crazy when he is running around and screaming, DS thinks "crazy" means the most fun you can have. DS was with us for all of 2 minutes before Claire tapped him and whispered something in his ear. DS hopped off my lap without a word and went to join the rest of the kids for make your own ice cream sundaes. He created a very elaborate treat, which he did not eat because he was already full of popcorn and pizza.

While all of this was going on, we were joined by a special guest. Ian, a local tour guide, was there for "family friendly storytelling." He told us a bit about the Jacobite rebellion and then proceeded to the portion of the evening where Disney arms all of the children.

36366286_10155710694187877_3986541051614593024_o.jpg

Yes, really. After Ian explained the weapons used by both sides during the rebellion (including demonstrating sword techniques on an unsuspecting victim), there was a chance to touch and hold the weapons. I did question the wisdom of giving my 5 year old a rifle, but DS absolutely loved the experience. At the end of the presentation, Ian told us that he would see us again at Culloden in a few days. I was already excited to see the battlefield, but knowing that we would have such a great guide heightened the anticipation.

By now, it was after 9 so we hurried back to our room for bed. When we opened the door, we discovered that a special visitor had stopped by while we were gone. Waiting for DS on his bed was a sparkly note from the faeries who had returned his lost Edinburgh pin to him.

Last edited:
It is interesting to hear how different the Scotland trip is now. We went in 2015 and so far you haven't said a single thing that I remember except for the motion sickness on the busses. :-) I'm glad to hear that they fixed some of the food issues. You are describing food that is edible (risotto, salad, pizza for the kids, etc). When we went the food was so bad that we barely ate the whole trip (adults and kids alike). One of our take-aways from the trip is that you've probably never heard of any famous Scottish chefs.

It is interesting to hear how different the Scotland trip is now. We went in 2015 and so far you haven't said a single thing that I remember except for the motion sickness on the busses. :-) I'm glad to hear that they fixed some of the food issues. You are describing food that is edible (risotto, salad, pizza for the kids, etc). When we went the food was so bad that we barely ate the whole trip (adults and kids alike). One of our take-aways from the trip is that you've probably never heard of any famous Scottish chefs.

It's funny you should say that, because I was really displeased with the food. The vegetarian meal repeated multiple times over the course of 7 days to the point where I was annoyed with the apparent lack of care that went into menu planning. The meat meals had variety, but I heard from others that there were a few misses taste wise. The meals we got on our own were better, but Scots do seem to avoid flavor in their food where possible.

I am going to try and get Loch Ness day posted today.

The meals we got on our own were better, but Scots do seem to avoid flavor in their food where possible.

LOL! DD and I say "and the worst Subway in the world...St Andrew's Subway." That said I have also had the best salmon I have ever eaten (and this includes the Pacific NW/Alaska) in St. Andrews. So it's probably what one eats and expects...

It’s funny, DH used to travel often to Edinburgh and he swears by the Italian food there. Apparently, a lot of folks immigrated from Italy during one of the financial downturns, and the default was to open an Italian restaurant. I’ve only been with him once, but had amazing Italian food several times on that trip. Including pizza with haggis on it!

ABD Day 5: Loch Ness

Loch Ness day is "sleep-in" day. We did not need to meet until around 10:45, which, of course, means that I was up at 6. Though I made a valiant effort to return to dreamland, it was to no avail. Since I was up anyway, I decided to follow my now established morning routine of coffee and book. Unlike the Caledonian, the Kingmill does not provide coffee makers. Instead, they provide a hot pot and tubes of instant coffee. The Kingsmill also doesn't provide anywhere to sit if you have 3 people in the room since the pull-out couch is the only sitting space in the room. That meant that my instant coffee and I needed to read in bed. Fortunately, the Kingsmill does provide book lights on either side of the bed. Unfortunately, they blink like strobe lights at a disco. Though these factors complicated reading a bit, I managed to get through a few pages of my highland mystery novel before DS woke up.

Once DS was awake, we got ready for the day and then headed down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. The Kingmill's buffet offered fare similar to that of the Caledonian, with one notable difference; the scrambled eggs were incredibly runny. Now, I am told that some people like their eggs runny. All I can say about that is that those people are wrong. I skipped the runny eggs and instead had a bowl of oatmeal, some fruit and some baked beans. DS had fruit, a muffin and a new food that he invented -- dried apricots spread with jam. (Slogan: "Because breakfast can never be too sweet.")

After breakfast, DS and I headed back to the room to relax until it was time to go. By this point, DH was up and he headed down to eat. Thanks to the late start, he had more than his standard 5 minutes to enjoy his meal.

Eventually, it was time to load into the bus and head off for our first stop, the Loch Ness Exhibition Center.

36304220_10155710701732877_1985158494373806080_o.jpg

Upon arrival, there was the standard queuing up for the restroom, followed by queuing up for the exhibition. Each room of the exhibition has a little presentation about the loch and the search for Nessie, so we needed to wait for the group before us to finish up in room 1 before we could get started. While we were waiting, Michael passed out a scavenger hunt to the junior adventurers. As we moved from room to room, DS found items on the list and marked them with stickers. Unfortunately, we did not realize that there were multiple items in some rooms. When we got to the final room without having completed the scavenger hunt, DS got upset. He demanded that we return to the start of the exhibition and go through a second time. DH and I had to tell him no because it was lunch time.

We successfully herded DS up the stairs for lunch, but he remained grumpy throughout the meal to the point where DH and I did not get a chance to listen to the speaker who was presenting on the Loch Ness Monster while we ate. Fortunately, each family was at its own table, so I don't think we negatively impacted the rest of the group. The food at the Loch Ness Centre was fairly basic, but they earn bonus points for coming up with a vegetarian meal that was not squash lasagna. We had a vegetable curry served with a side of papadums and chutney. DS had a cheese sandwich.

After lunch, there was time for a restroom break and then the group was divided up based upon whether you were canoeing or taking a motor boat tour of the loch. We had selected the motor boat on Day 1 because both DS and DH said they didn't want to canoe. Though I had been really looking forward to canoeing, I decided to go along with the consensus. That turned out to be the wrong choice. After lunch, DS was overcome with a sudden desire to do whichever activity we had not booked. He became sullen when I told him that we could not canoe because we had not ordered a canoe or life jacket. We instead boarded a coach to our motor boat and set out for a tour of the loch. DS and I did our best to enjoy ourselves even though DS flatly refused to do anything other than huddle under a blanket moping.

36299608_10155710686642877_6719689579718246400_o.jpg

It was hard to take in the sights while keeping an eye on DS to make sure he didn't jump overboard, but we managed to get some nice photos. In hindsight, I should have just booked the activity that I wanted to do and forced DS and DH to go along with it. As it was, I was deprived of an activity that I had been really looking foward to in favor of an activity that neither DS or DH were particularly jazzed about. I have no one to blame but myself because I never spoke up and told the rest of my family how excited I was to canoe.

36276034_10155710693667877_6760335561069690880_o.jpg

After our boat trip, it was off to Urquhart Castle where we had time to explore on our own. It's amazing the variety of castles there are to see in Scotland. We had already seen preserved medieval castles, renovated modern castles and Victorian era castles. Urquhart is in ruins, having been destroyed during the Jacobite uprising to prevent its use in that conflict. But you can walk among the ruins and climb the various towers. There is also a lovely cafe, exhibit and gift shop with views out over the castle and loch. Now DS was still in a grumpy mood, but I was determined not to let him ruin the castle for us, so we dragged him down to the ruins to explore. He briefly perked up when I played the role of sentry defending the castle, but became grumpy again when I refused to let him do gymnastics near a sheer drop into the loch. Is there anything that ruins a child's fun more than a parent's suggestion that they not commit suicide?

36382820_10155710699582877_5112744930472624128_o.jpg

Eventually, DS and I took a time out on a bench in the castle while DH explored. Then I left DS with DH while I visited the castle's lovely restrooms. (I used the ones in the gift shop, but DH took a great photo of the castle's pit toilet. For reasons I do not understand, that photo is now set as a screensaver on our TV.) Once we were reunited as a family, we headed up to the gift shop where DH bought a wool newsboy cap and DS spent all of his allowance money on some knight and highlander action figures.

After our too brief stay at Urquhart, everyone boarded the bus for our short trip back to Inverness. As we drove, Michael and Claire announced that there would be a "special guest" that evening and we should all meet in the lobby at 5:30. Michael looked really excited about the guest and went back and forth on whether he should spoil the surprise by revealing the guest's identity. Ultimately, he decided not to and trusted that we would all be curious enough to show up at the appointed time.

We got back to the Kingmill around 5:20 and decided to just hang out in the lobby for a bit. (DH did dash upstairs to drop off our rain gear). Then, at 5:30, we all walked across the street to a local park where we met this guy:

36382792_10155710687137877_4324028208660873216_o.jpg

And, of course, this guy:

36367206_10155710687187877_3665711667527811072_o.jpg

As you can see, I am not at all sold on the idea of holding a vicious predator. But DS promptly forgot the advice I had drilled into his head about not touching wild creatures and wanted to hold all of our guests. (He did not get to hold the bald eagle because the falconer decided he was an adults-only guest due to his weight). After our guests had flown from traveler to traveler in our group and shown off their flying skills, we headed back to the Kingsmill for dinner on our own. We had originally planned to walk into town, but the falconry demonstration meant that it was now close to 7. We decided that forgoing a decent meal in favor of spending time with our feathered friends was a worthy trade off and we elected to eat in the hotel bar. I had a cheese sandwich with onion chutney. (Disclaimer: onion chutney not visible to the naked eye). DH had another veggie club and DS had the cheese tray from the dessert menu. We capped off our meal by sharing a sticky toffee pudding and a pavlova. Both desserts were amazing and fully compensated for our lackluster mains.

After dinner, we retired to our room -- once again exhausted by our busy day.

Last edited:
I had some really great meals on the original itinerary. :( It's sad if the changes made the food *worse*.

Sayhello

I think you would really need to poll the meat eaters to get a sense of this. I know that people were unhappy with our adult dinner at the Kingsmill, but that could have also been due to the poor service. There was another meal later in the trip where I heard other guests grumbling about the food too. But the Caledonian, Floors Castle and Glenturret all seemed to be hits. From my perspective, the issue was that there was only one vegetarian option per menu and there was no effort made to give the vegetarians any variety. We were served squash lasagna 3 times, pea risotto twice and miscellaneous other pastas on several other occasions. The veg appetizer was carrot soup on at least 4 occasions. In contrast, the meat eaters were given a variety of choices -- different meats, different preparations, different sides. Now ABD may claim that you cannot accommodate vegetarians well in Scotland, but that just isn't the case. When we went out on our own, every place we went to had at least one veg option and they were often inventive options like the "sausage" sandwich we got at the pub in Edinburgh. If someone at ABD had taken the time to tell the restaurants where we dined that we had already eaten enough squash lasagna to last a lifetime, I feel pretty confident that the restaurants would have come up with something else to give us.

It’s funny, DH used to travel often to Edinburgh and he swears by the Italian food there. Apparently, a lot of folks immigrated from Italy during one of the financial downturns, and the default was to open an Italian restaurant. I’ve only been with him once, but had amazing Italian food several times on that trip. Including pizza with haggis on it!

We didn't try any Italian food from actual Italian restaurants while we were there. The pasta we did have was generally overcooked and over-sauced, so my best guess is that no Italians were involved. I would never think to seek out Italian restaurants in Scotland. Now I know.

Last edited:
I think you would really need to poll the meat eaters to get a sense of this. I know that people were unhappy with our adult dinner at the Kingsmill, but that could have also been due to the poor service. There was another meal later in the trip where I heard other guests grumbling about the food too. But the Caledonian, Floors Castle and Glenturret all seemed to be hits. From my perspective, the issue was that there was only one vegetarian option per menu and there was no effort made to give the vegetarians any variety. We were served squash lasagna 3 times, pea risotto twice and miscellaneous other pastas on several other occasions. The veg appetizer was carrot soup on at least 4 occasions. In contrast, the meat eaters were given a variety of choices -- different meats, different preparations, different sides. Now ABD may claim that you cannot accommodate vegetarians well in Scotland, but that just isn't the case. When we went out on our own, every place we went to had at least one veg option and they were often inventive options like the "sausage" sandwich we got at the pub in Edinburgh. If someone at ABD had taken the time to tell the restaurants where we dined that we had already eaten enough squash lasagna to last a lifetime, I feel pretty confident that the restaurants would have come up with something else to give us.

We didn't try any Italian food from actual Italian restaurants while we were there. The pasta we did have was generally overcooked and over-sauced, so my best guess is that no Italians were involved. I would never think to seek out Italian restaurants in Scotland. Now I know.

Why oh Why did you not speak up & Ask for a choice of menu ........ Why leave it to the ABD Guide .

You could have had potatoes & Veg or an omelette . or a salad

These Hotels are serving many meals every day & surly they would have something in the kitchen for you ....... If Asked

Why oh Why did you not speak up & Ask for a choice of menu ........ Why leave it to the ABD Guide .

These Hotels are serving many meals every day & surly they would have something in the kitchen for you ....... If Asked

Woodview, have you ever actually been on an Adventure by Disney? Your comments often have a unique perspective and seem more aligned with independent touring

I have a question, and this is a serious question, not intended as snark or anything like that. But in your first post, you told us that people throughout the trip commented about what a good traveler your son was. But all you've done in this report so far is describe how he complained, and didn't want to participate, and had meltdowns, and caused you to have to leave the activities to calm him down, and kept you from doing the things you really wanted to do. I just have to wonder why you took a kid this young, who appears to not enjoy group travel, on a trip like this that he really seems too young for. It doesn't sound like you or your husband or your son enjoyed the group interaction or most of the activities. I'm pretty sure that even if you were at another table, your son's meltdown at Loch Lommond affected the others in your group. I really have to wonder about the rest of the people on this trip, and how it affected their enjoyment of the trip.

Sorry, I'm just being honest here, and would really like to understand what I'm missing here.

Sayhello

I have a question, and this is a serious question, not intended as snark or anything like that. But in your first post, you told us that people throughout the trip commented about what a good traveler your son was. But all you've done in this report so far is describe how he complained, and didn't want to participate, and had meltdowns, and caused you to have to leave the activities to calm him down, and kept you from doing the things you really wanted to do. I just have to wonder why you took a kid this young, who appears to not enjoy group travel, on a trip like this that he really seems too young for. It doesn't sound like you or your husband or your son enjoyed the group interaction or most of the activities. I'm pretty sure that even if you were at another table, your son's meltdown at Loch Lommond affected the others in your group. I really have to wonder about the rest of the people on this trip, and how it affected their enjoyment of the trip.

Sorry, I'm just being honest here, and would really like to understand what I'm missing here.

Sayhello

I’m genuinely curious about the same thing...and also whether your experience on this ABD has caused you to plan or not plan on another ABD or group tour while your son is so young. Maybe that is one of the summations you are saving for your last post?

ABD has set menus for the group meals. Most are pre-ordered. When you order at the meal, it is from a small menu just for ABD. My view is that unless the issue is a food allergy, it would have been inappropriate for me to ask for special food. (FYI, in case anyone is worried about allergies, I was accommodated on my tomato allergy at the one meal where that was an issue).

Sayhello

Are people not enjoying the report? My goal is an honest warts and all report. If I just seem like a grouch, then I am missing my mark.

To answer your questions:

ABD advertises itself as a family travel company. My expectation is that it is okay to take children on a trip that is advertised as such. Your question does raise a question that I have been pondering since we took our trip, which is whether ABD really is a family travel company. We were told by others in our group who had been on other ABD trips that they had never seen so many junior adventurers as they did on this trip and that groups with just one or two people under 18 were a regular occurrence. To me, that is contrary to what I would expect based upon the "Let's Adventure Together" slogan that ABD uses.

The only activity that I did not get to do that I wanted to do was the canoeing and that was because we did not sign up for it. As I mentioned, I regret that. I was accommodating my husband's irrational fear of canoes when I should have just told him to get over it.

As to whether other people were affected by my son, I can only go by what the rest of the group told us. We had more than 1 person tell us that they were very impressed with how well-behaved and pleasant my son was. I suppose it is possible that the group secretly felt that my son was a terrible disruption -- but I don't see why people would go through the trouble of seeking us out to complement us if that was the case. I think it is more likely that they were holding him to the standard of a 5 year old based upon their own experience as parents and found that DS came out ahead.

I did revise the description of the Loch Ness lunch because I understand after re-reading it why you interpreted my recounting as though my son were being noisy. He was actually sulking and I did not get to listen to the speaker because I was trying to cheer him up. I can't imagine that anyone else in the group besides me cared that my son wasn't enjoying himself -- but I suppose I could be wrong.

I am saving my wrap up (including whether we would travel with ABD again) for the end.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter