May 2018 Pre Trip and Trip Report

CarnesFamily

Earning My Ears
Hello! I have never done a trip report but I thought I would give it a try!

We are newbies to the Fort but not DW. Our scheduled arrival is May 4-10!!! This is the longest we have pulled our camper trailer so it will be an experience. We drove through the Fort last time we were there and we were thinking about buying a camper... that helped us take the plunge and we have never looked back.

We have 3 kiddos DS 10, DS 8 and DD 4. This is suppose to be a celebration trip to celebrate DD adoption!!! Last time we when to Disney the state had just told us that she would be moved from our home the following week! We lived it up that trip but now a year later her adoption is starting.

I have read a LOT of post on here but I hope I will gain new insight. Hope to meet some people that will be there the same time!

This trip each family member has a new experience we are hoping for. DH new thing is the Fort, mine is all new restaurants (except Chef Mickey's for breakfast because it is tradition), DS11 Mini-Golf, DS8 Star Wars Fireworks, DD4 Meeting Pooh Bear. (They don't know we are doing a day at Universal!! Another new experience for everyone)

Current Plans-
Leave Louisiana mid-day May 3 and hoping to travel to Falling Water State park in Florida. Google says 7 hours and I am planning on 8 1/2-9 hours pulling the trailer. Get to the Fort Mid-day May 4. Hit the pool, Mini Golf, Dinner at Whispering Canyon and Campfire with Chip and Dale.
Day 1 - HS - Beaches and Cream
Day 2 - Chef Mickey's - Blizzard Beach (New for us) - HDDR
Day 3 - Epcot - Garden Grill PPO - Via Napoli
Day 4 - MK - BOG PPO - Crystal Palace
Day 5 - AK - Tusker House Rivers of Light Package
Pull out and head to a Universal Resort!

CarnesFamily, Welcome to The Fort :welcome:. And congrats on DD adoption

Usually we tell people that once they've camped at The Fort they're hooked :thumbsup2

Yours is a new one for me, you drove through The Fort, and then bought a camper, LOL. :woohoo:

You're schedule looks pretty full, if you can try to give yourself a little time to explore The Fort, or you can just plan another trip, just sayin' :scratchin

Enjoy your stay and we will be looking forward to your trip report and hopefully pictures please.

Yes... we have a busy schedule. I am really hoping for time on our arrival day and after Blizzard Beach to have Fort time but.... we will just have to plan another trip:)

Things I have learned in my Disboard research the last few weeks...

Things to bring that I wasn't already planning:
Bike Locks
We took the boat to MK and parked our bikes by the settlement. Got back and DS’s bike was stolen. They said they have been having lots of issues with stolen bikes lately (and I think I saw a PSA on here as well), but thought I’d remind people to use bike locks. Thankfully our newer bikes were locked. Guess we’ll be heading out in the morning to buy a few more locks (we have a week left here).
Squirrel Food
Hi littleangie. :wave: We were all newbs once too. :teeth:

Weather.com indicated the traditional averages are 82F for a high and 61F for a low on Halloween Day as a reference point. And by then you've entered the dry season (2-3 inches of rain a month) so it really is quite sweet for tent camping. The fall isn't quite as bad for wild temperature swings as say, January.

If you are starting out gathering gear, you want a good air mattress or cot with bedding or sleeping bag. I would recommend an electric cooler to use as a fridge to store food in (one of the benefits of camping is you can cook/eat at your site and save a little money). A simple little propane stove with the gas canisters or a good electric skillet (versatile, my choice). A couple extension cords, multi-strip, flashlight, towels, eating stuff (paper plates, plastic kfs). A big RubberMaid tub to store non-refridgerated food and other stuff in. And a flashlight.

Golf carts are an expensive convenience. About $65 a day from Disney and about $35-40 a day if rented from off-site. I don't bother with a golf cart. Sometimes we bring our bikes and my own two feet work just fine the rest of the time. Given the time of year you will be there, walking will be pleasant. About the only benefit I can see to a golf cart is seeing the campers' Halloween or other decorations in the loops but if you're there for two weeks, you can check out a loop or two per night on foot with no rush, no problem, and no expense. But if you have money to burn, it's up to you.

No problem here. DIS camping folks are pretty laid back.

One piece of advice I would give is to beware the squirrels at the Fort. They are highly skilled at sniffing out your delicious snacks and getting into them. Don't keep any food in the tent because the nylon wall will not stop them. Put a rock or something heavy on the lid of your RubberMaid tub before leaving for a park (same for the cooler or a bungee or something to help keep the lid down). Campers are a game of "squirrel-versus-Cheetohs" to them and the squirrels are damn good at winning the game. You've been warned.

Let us hear from you with any follow-up questions. Elsewise, have a great trip.:wave2:

Bama Ed

Feel free to add to my list. We have the typical "Camping" stuff.

After reading about transportation...
If you have a car, I recommend just driving to the other 3 parks.

My plans are to use to boat to MK, use the buses for the times we aren't in a hurry (because my little one loves the buses), and drive our vehicle for the times we rope drop or have PPO breakfast.

CarnesFamily welcome to the camping forum. Like Tigger92662 let me offer offer my congrats on DD adding you and yours to her family. Love that you are planning to devote some time to a particular attraction or destination to each member of your family
Considering the ages of your children I would suggest (Only my opinion mind you) that you not try to full commando and tour parks rope drop to closing. You little one might need some nap time again just my opinion. That could be a good time to head back to campground and for dad and the boys to off and scout the CG.
A good and well stocked first aid kit is a thing to stock. Some Sunscreen might come in handy too. Any and all meds needed are another good thing to have

CarnesFamily welcome to the camping forum. Like Tigger92662 let me offer offer my congrats on DD adding you and yours to her family. Love that you are planning to devote some time to a particular attraction or destination to each member of your family
Considering the ages of your children I would suggest (Only my opinion mind you) that you not try to full commando and tour parks rope drop to closing. You little one might need some nap time again just my opinion. That could be a good time to head back to campground and for dad and the boys to off and scout the CG.
A good and well stocked first aid kit is a thing to stock. Some Sunscreen might come in handy too. Any and all meds needed are another good thing to have

Thanks! Yes we will hopefully build in some rest time. I love Epcot but can't go from Rope Drop to Illuminations so will will have to cut it short. We will be taking an afternoon break on our AK day so will can see Rivers of Light. I laughed when you said my little one may need a nap... She is the energizer bunny... she can go all day without ever seeming tired! Most nights I am asleep before her!

Hey CarnesFamily, we will be there in May also but the opposite end of May as you. We camped there last October, our 1st time camping at the Fort, and had a blast. Like you, we had a schedule that didn't lend itself to really enjoying what the Fort has to offer. So, this May trip will be totally different. We intend to spend most of our time enjoying the Fort. Other than a couple of FP`s ... Flight of Passage and Soaring, our Fort adventure will be just relaxing and enjoying the Fort.

BTW, Falling Waters State park is nice ... hopefully, there will be or would have been enough rain for you to actually see water in the water fall :yay:

Last edited:
Can't hardly wait for May, we head to the fort May 22 with some family members that have never been before. I would venture to say that they buy a camper when they return home. I'm going to do my best to show them how a real vacation is done.

We have a few of similarities with the CarnesFamily,

From Louisiana,
First trip to the Fort,
10+ disney vacations, On site hotel stays.. Normally stay at Port Orleans French quarter.
Family goin 5 year old Son and 2 year old Daugter
Wife and my Mother.

Will be at the Fort May 18th-26th

Really looking forward to the Fort experience, We camp 2-3 times a month year round . and love it. But curious to see what the Fort is about.
We will have a 43ft 5th wheel and have a Premium site booked. Looking to be in the 600-700 loops.
Stopping at Tallahassee rv on the way up. then on the return trip we are staying the weekend at Pensacola Beach RV.

Any insite would be great.

Welcome, Selliott82. Save time to enjoy the Fort. Check out the FAQ thread and ask us any questions you need help with.

We leave in 30 days. Well, sort of. DW & DD bought season tickets to Broadway in Atlanta just to get tickets to Hamilton, which falls on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. So, instead of driving from Birmingham to Atlanta back to Birmingham, then off to The Fort, my plan is to haul the camper close to Atlanta and park at a Walmart (DD will have her car so I don't have to unhitch), go into town for the play, then get the camper and head south on I-75. Google says it should only take 13 minutes longer through Atlanta (I don't think Google fully understands Atlanta traffic). Our normal route from Birmingham gets us to the Ocala rest area in the middle of the night where stop for a few hours, then head in early the next morning. We should be able to follow that same plan, with a little extra sleep :).
-Dave & Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!