MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

I had two full days last month with DW and she was not feeling great and went back to the room both days after lunch. I had MP for me and for her. I went back out solo and between the SR lines, the instant FPs and having two accounts to use for MP I basically could just go from ride to ride and do most anything I wanted with a short line. Further, a few times the FPs turned into anytime FPs so I could use them for just about anything.

:wizard:
I was not a fan of MP when it was first announced, solely because of the extra cost. I was irritated at how much it would cost our family. However, after using it on a few busy days in October, I don't think I'll ever do Disneyland without MP. I would choose fewer days with MP than more days without. We would take an afternoon break and I would line up FP for the evening when all the stand-by lines were 1-2+ hours. The longest line we waited in the whole trip was Astro Orbitor because it was the one ride my 8 year old son had to ride and we timed it poorly. That was 25 minutes. I'm certainly not going to complain if there are a lot of guests that don't know how to use the FP sytem.

Just to be clear on how I will acquire Max Pass. I am arriving around 12:30 on a Friday. I will go to guest services and purchase my AP. Will I purchase the Max Pass at that point? And attach it immediately to my AP? I don’t plan on a busy park day since I’m flying over three time zones, but I can NEVER not go into Disneyland right away. A slow meander up Main Street to Carnation Cafe for lunch and see how soon I crash. Hoping for some nap time on the plane.

Just to be clear on how I will acquire Max Pass. I am arriving around 12:30 on a Friday. I will go to guest services and purchase my AP. Will I purchase the Max Pass at that point? And attach it immediately to my AP? I don’t plan on a busy park day since I’m flying over three time zones, but I can NEVER not go into Disneyland right away. A slow meander up Main Street to Carnation Cafe for lunch and see how soon I crash. Hoping for some nap time on the plane.
Yes, they will add MP to your AP at the ticket booth when you purchase.

(Before going to the parks)
1. Add each ticket into the AP by scanning the barcode or entering the numbers. For each ticket, give it a name so you know whose is whose -- especially important if you plan to split up or get different FPs. (I put their initial on the physical card so we knew which one they needed to hold to go through the gate and sign/get their picture taken)

I made a mistake - I didn't know I could/should name my tickets when adding them to the App. Now they just have numbers (and colors). I can't find a way to name them now - does anyone know if it's possible once they're already added in to add the names?
Thanks!!

Very excited to try MP for our short weekend trip. We have convention tickets (discounted) and 1 of us will have a twilight ticket. Does it matter when you try to add the MP as you enter the park? Will we be able to just scan and go with whatever ticket we purchase?

Also, for a bit, I'll be alone. Do you think I'm better off doing MP or just trying to single rider things?

Very excited to try MP for our short weekend trip. We have convention tickets (discounted) and 1 of us will have a twilight ticket. Does it matter when you try to add the MP as you enter the park? Will we be able to just scan and go with whatever ticket we purchase?

Also, for a bit, I'll be alone. Do you think I'm better off doing MP or just trying to single rider things?
Mp alone!

Yes. Scan and go with whatever ticket.

How does ride swap work with max pass?
You only have to buy 1 mp if there’s just the 2 of you and the kid(s). One person rides with mp and asks for rider swap. Keep child nearby if they ask to see.

You’ll be given a return time for the other parent and up to 2 guests. You have to have their tickets available to scan.

The days when you keep checking your data usage so you have enough carryover data to cover Max Pass and regular data usage. Thank goodness work has good WiFi.

Please help!!! I am in the beginning stages of planning our first trip to Disneyland. I am slowly stressing myself out with this Photo Pass vs. Max Pass. Here's the problem/question. For this trip it will just be myself and my husband. We are planning on getting tickets for 5 days. So the math for the Max Pass looks like this 10 × 5 = 50 × 2 = $100.00 for us to get Max Pass. A photo pass collection is $99.00. So if my thinking is right it would be beneficial to go with Max Pass and get the perks of digital Fass Passes right??? Am I missing something??? And now I just found something called photo pass+ that is good for a week and it is only $78.00. I am SO confused. The one that is good for a week is cheaper than the photo pass collection??? I am beyond confused.... And how can it be valid for a week if the Max you can get is a 5 day park ticket???

Last edited:
Please help!!! I am in the beginning stages of planning our first trip to Disneyland. I am slowly stressing myself out with this Photo Pass vs. Max Pass. Here's the problem/question. For this trip it will just be myself and my husband. We are planning on getting tickets for 5 days. So the math for the Max Pass looks like this 10 × 5 = 50 × 2 = $100.00 for us to get Max Pass. A photo pass collection is $99.00. So if my thinking is right it would be beneficial to go with Max Pass and get the perks of digital Fass Passes right??? Am I missing something??? And now I just found something called photo pass+ that is good for a week and it is only $78.00. I am SO confused. The one that is good for a week is cheaper than the photo pass collection??? I am beyond confused.... And how can it be valid for a week if the Max you can get is a 5 day park ticket???
The cheapest option looks like it would be to get MaxPass for only one of you ($50) and only use it for the photo benefit. I don't know the difference between the photo pass collection and photo pass + (I've never used them personally), but I do know that you only need one person in your group to have MaxPass to take advantage of the photo benefits, so if you're purely looking for the best price for photos that would be the way to go. You still have the choice to get MaxPass for the second person to take advantage of digital FP, and if you want you can only purchase it for some of the days to save money.

ETA: It also depends how soon your trip is, because $10/day is only the "introductory" price. I would guess they're going to make an adjustment to the price of MaxPass and/or PhotoPass because it doesn't make much sense right now with MaxPass costing less while giving more benefits.

I made a mistake - I didn't know I could/should name my tickets when adding them to the App. Now they just have numbers (and colors). I can't find a way to name them now - does anyone know if it's possible once they're already added in to add the names?
Thanks!!

No and it's super annoying. I think unless you buy directly from DL (not sure) or have an AP, you don't have the option to name them. I used our physical tickets in lanyards for this reason, to keep them all straight. We had a party of 8 with a baby, so we were constantly switching off and trying to remember what number was who and who had what FP was kind of ridiculous.

How does ride swap work with max pass?

Just to add, they will add the RS to any tickets. We had 8 people, and it didn't matter who had ridden or who was riding, they just said "give me 3 tickets" and they'd scan rider switch onto those. Just keep track of which ones have the switch on them :) Also, they do give you a return time but I found if you asked to go on immediately they let you and it wasn't a big deal.

A simple answer is that getting the MaxPass allows you the benefits of the MP and Photopass. You’ll only need it for the days that you’re there, so although Photopass+ for seven days might be cheaper, you don’t need it that long and it wouldn’t give you MP, which seems to be turning out to be awesome. Also, you don’t even have to get Maxpass/Photopass for every day, just the days that you want it.

We just got back from our trip and I must say Maxpass kicked our butt. It wore us out much more than normal. There were times when we would be able to pick our next ride and everything seemed so soon that we would say, lets check later and just go stand in a line. For the first time ever we were debating standing in line because we had been crossing the parks so often because Maxpass was kicking us through rides so quickly.

I have a simple question that has probably been answered but I do not have time to sort through 100 pages. So let me thank you in advance.

The wife and I are going in about a month, this will be the first time using MP. I understand the majority of the process, but the one part about using it at rope drop concerns me. Typically we are there for rope drop at the front, and once the park opens we head for Indiana, grab a fast pass then hop into the 5-10 min line. Can this be done using MP?

I know you purchase them when you are in the park, but can you retrieve a Fastpass in the park but before rope drop? Or does the app only allow you to select a Fastpass after the designated opening time? What are the odds we can grab a Fastpass and then hop on the ride?

I have a simple question that has probably been answered but I do not have time to sort through 100 pages. So let me thank you in advance.

The wife and I are going in about a month, this will be the first time using MP. I understand the majority of the process, but the one part about using it at rope drop concerns me. Typically we are there for rope drop at the front, and once the park opens we head for Indiana, grab a fast pass then hop into the 5-10 min line. Can this be done using MP?

I know you purchase them when you are in the park, but can you retrieve a Fastpass in the park but before rope drop? Or does the app only allow you to select a Fastpass after the designated opening time? What are the odds we can grab a Fastpass and then hop on the ride?
You are allowed to book a FP as soon as you are in the park. The odds should be pretty high if it's not for Space, Guardians, or RSR that it will be for a near immediate return once the park officially opens.

To clarify, yes, you can get a Maxpass before the park officially opens, as soon as you have gone through the turnstiles.

Here’s how it should go if goal is Indy at RD then Indy with FP asap after that:

Enter turnstyle (before park opening time and before rope drop)
Buy MP in the app for that day immediately once through turnstyle
Book FP in app immediately for Indy WHILE waiting for RD. Return time will be at official park opening time or later, depending on popularity of ride
Rope drop
Ride Indy Standby
Ride Indy with FP
Book next FP in app WHILE waiting in FP line to ride Indy.
Have a blast!

Here’s how it should go if goal is Indy at RD then Indy with FP asap after that:

Enter turnstyle (before park opening time and before rope drop)
Buy MP in the app for that day immediately once through turnstyle
Book FP in app immediately for Indy WHILE waiting for RD. Return time will be at official park opening time or later, depending on popularity of ride
Rope drop
Ride Indy Standby
Ride Indy with FP
Book next FP in app WHILE waiting in FP line to ride Indy.
Have a blast!

The only glitch to that particular plan is that cell phone reception once you get inside the IJ line is horrible. I suppose you could scan your MP at the ride's FP entrance, then squish over to the side and make a super-fast new selection before entering the temple. Otherwise you will probably have another 20-30 minutes in that line before you can get enough reception to make another MP selection. It all depends on how much of a super-user you want to be that day.

I have also had that problem inside the Soarin' hanger.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!