MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

I noticed the same thing. We will be visiting for 4 nights, 5 days. We arrive late-ish the first night so I am planning on buying a 3 day ticket to use with MaxPass. Then on the 3rd day as I am leaving, I will upgrade to 4 days. I won't need to use MaxPass that last day because we will only be in the park about 3-4 hours.

I noticed the same thing. We will be visiting for 4 nights, 5 days. We arrive late-ish the first night so I am planning on buying a 3 day ticket to use with MaxPass. Then on the 3rd day as I am leaving, I will upgrade to 4 days. I won't need to use MaxPass that last day because we will only be in the park about 3-4 hours.

Good option. But I'm trying to avoid GS at all costs, and an upgrade would mean I have to go to GS correct? If it can be upgraded at GCH desk, maybe I would do that. Just trying to waste the minimum of our park time!

Can anyone who has had tickets but not pre-purchased MP and had to buy MP via the app upon park entry, comment on how much time passed between buying MP on the app and being able to book your first FP of the day?

Can anyone who has had tickets but not pre-purchased MP and had to buy MP via the app upon park entry, comment on how much time passed between buying MP on the app and being able to book your first FP of the day?

We did it three days and we did not notice any delay at all.

The first day we went to City Hall because we wanted to make sure we were correctly using the app so the kids could book their FPs separately. A very helpful young man showed us how scan them, buy MaxPass, split them, and then book our first FPs. Since we did it all right there while he was helping us, the FP booking was immediate. Over the next two days, each time we purchased MP we were able to browse FPs immediately.

However, one note: depending on your strategy, you may not want to book one immediately. Each day each group of us decided whether to go for FPs with longer return times (like GotG) or abuse the instant FPs (like going on Screamin' multiple times in a row). Especially early in the mornings it is possible to use crazy amounts of FPs if you play it right.

I am unable to use DAS as my issue is that I need to avoid stairs. In the past, (at Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain) they have scanned a return time equal to the wait time minus 10 minutes) to my ticket. I could only have one return time and I would go through the exit to avoid stairs. I could also hold FP regularly. How will this work if I purchase MaxPass? Can I have a scanned return time and a MaxPass FP at the same time?

A CM at Chamber of Commerce confirmed that MP will work the same way with DAS as regular FP. There is no change. You will still be able to hold a MP return time and a DAS/scanned return time simultaneously.

... The first day we went to City Hall because we wanted to make sure we were correctly using the app so the kids could book their FPs separately. A very helpful young man showed us how scan them, buy MaxPass, split them, and then book our first FPs...

Did he show you how to attach a name to each scanned ticket? Or did each ticket show up in your app as a serial number? (And, if so, how did you tell everyone apart?)

We did it three days and we did not notice any delay at all.

The first day we went to City Hall because we wanted to make sure we were correctly using the app so the kids could book their FPs separately. A very helpful young man showed us how scan them, buy MaxPass, split them, and then book our first FPs. Since we did it all right there while he was helping us, the FP booking was immediate. Over the next two days, each time we purchased MP we were able to browse FPs immediately.

However, one note: depending on your strategy, you may not want to book one immediately. Each day each group of us decided whether to go for FPs with longer return times (like GotG) or abuse the instant FPs (like going on Screamin' multiple times in a row). Especially early in the mornings it is possible to use crazy amounts of FPs if you play it right.

Thank you! So helpful!!

How can we work this?

Haven't seen my sister and her family in 2 years, they (her husband, daughter, and she) will come to Disney for 2 days next week to meet up.
One of these days we want to buy MaxPass. Our family will enter early with MM, and she will likely get into the park around 9:30am.
My hope is that we can load her tickets into my phone app, then I can buy all 8 MP so we can book FP together. Is this possible?
You can, but you not until they actually are scanned into one of the parks. You can definitely manage her and her family's MPs the instant they are eligible, but you can't get any FPs for them until they are officially in the parks.

We were in the parks Monday and tried to add the $75 option for the remaining 9 months of our Signature APs, had read on Disney's site we had to do this at the ticket booth.

Ticket line was very long when we arrived, so decided to just go back and do it later. After a fun morning, it started to get crowded so we stopped by DCA Guest Services hoping we could avoid the ticket line, but CM told us they couldn't do it there.

After 30+ minutes in the ticket booth line the CM apologized for the wait, but told us they were unable to do it because of a computer system issue and they were hoping they'd be able to later in the day. She instructed us to go ahead and pay the $10 for the single day MaxPass in the official app, save that email receipt to show at the booth later and they would credit us for it when they were able to add the $75 MP to our APs.

Saw someone in this thread mention they were able to add the $75 option by calling the AP phone number, so tried that hoping to avoid the ticket booth, but CM said they couldn't give us the credit for the single day passes and to just go to the ticket booth next time.

Despite all this, we still had a fun day at the parks and really enjoyed MaxPass once we got it. We were able to do 16 rides (including GOTG twice), saw a parade, fireworks and got incredible free spots right next to the BB premium area for the new Fantasmic

Last edited:

We just got AP's for the first time earlier this month, just before Maxpass went live. We had an awesome trip with no wait time on instant fast passes. I've been following this thread since the beginning and I won't tell you how many hours I've spent, but you can imagine. I'm excited for our year of Disney and I'm trying to decide if we should add MP to all our passes for the year. It would cost us $450. I've come up with a list of features comparing fast passes obtained through Maxpass vs. fast passes obtained the traditional way. Someone who has been in the parks recently can correct me if I'm wrong, but here are some notes I've made from this thread.

I think the easiest way to think about MP is that it allows you obtain a FP through the MP technology instead of the traditional way through a kiosk. However, a FP is a FP, regardless of how you obtain them. They are linked to your pass/ticket for obtaining and using, and you can't double up by getting one through MP and one through a kiosk. (Prior to all the changes, you had to use your ticket/pass to obtain a FP, but anyone could use the FP.)

Similarities between Maxpass FP users and Traditional FP users who are also using the Disneyland app (without MP):
  • Both require you to scan your ticket/pass into the app on your phone in order to track your FP
  • Both can cancel a FP
  • Both can get a FP from a kiosk.
  • Both can use their phones or their pass/ticket to enter the FP line. (Really, all you need is the pass/ticket barcode in any form.)
  • Both will get an anytime pass if a ride breaks down during your FP window.
  • Multiple people can track the same pass/ticket. You just have to scan them into multiple phones using the app. If one person tracking a pass/ticket takes action (get a FP, cancel a FP, use a FP), it will update on the phones of everyone else tracking that same pass/ticket. (Assuming you have cell phone data coverage or manage to get wifi, but that is a different issue...)
Differences between Maxpass FP users and traditional FP users who are also using the Disneyland app (without MP):
  • MP users can obtain a FP from their phone or from a kiosk, while traditional FP users can only obtain a FP from a kiosk.
  • MP users have access to FP that are released by other people and these may be for at time period much earlier than the current FP return time being distributed at a kiosk to traditional FP users. If you have a split party with some having MP and others not, but wish to ride all at the same time, then you can use the kiosk to get FP for the entire group if there is a time discrepancy.
  • MP users get photopass included as part of the package
As far as the photopass benefit, I plan to add MP to at least one of our AP's for $75 and will use that AP for all pictures. We typically stay together as a family, but even if we were to separate, I would get a photopass card and we would then link that card to the AP with the MP benefit.

For people who have actually been in the parks... did I get anything wrong?

Last edited:
Quick question: Can you still use your park ticket to scan into a ride for your FP if using MaxPass? The plan is to get my husband a FP for Star Tours using the MaxPass app on my phone. I'd be on another ride while he uses the FP to go on ST, likely IASW (ST makes me sick). He won't need my phone to use the FP, will he? He doesn't have a smartphone due to stubbornness. :)

Quick question: Can you still use your park ticket to scan into a ride for your FP if using MaxPass? The plan is to get my husband a FP for Star Tours using the MaxPass app on my phone. I'd be on another ride while he uses the FP to go on ST, likely IASW (ST makes me sick). He won't need my phone to use the FP, will he? He doesn't have a smartphone due to stubbornness. :)

Park tickets work fine for FP scanning

Just posting quick since we are traveling home today but we were in the parks the last two days and used MaxPass both days and we loved it! So worth the money. I felt like we were able to pull so many fast passes and were really able to maximize our time.

I don't think most people knew about it at all. I barely saw anyone using their phones to scan in and even had a few people ask me how I was able to do that once they saw us do it in front of them.

Anyway...I'll post back in a few days with a more official post trip report!

Last edited:
Just posting quick since we are traveling home today but we were in the parks the last two days and used MaxPass both days and we loved it! So worth the money. I felt like we were able to pull so many fast passes and were really able to maximize our time.

I don't think most people knew about it at all. I barely saw anyone using their phones to scan in and even had a few people ask me how I was able to do that once they saw us do it in front of them.

Anyway...I'll post back in a few days with a more official post trip report!
You'd be surprised at what people don't know. I mentioned in another thread that some relatives went to DLR for a day yesterday on their tour of LA. Someone asked them on social media if they saw Carsland and they had no idea what they were talking about! They only got tickets to DL Park and not hoppers.

Also remember being in line for Astro Orbiter at MK close to Rope Drop (did EMM) and people wondered why there was no Star Wars ride at MK. :ssst:

We were in the parks Monday and tried to add the $75 option for the remaining 9 months of our Signature APs, had read on Disney's site we had to do this at the ticket booth.

Ticket line was very long when we arrived, so decided to just go back and do it later. After a fun morning, it started to get crowded so we stopped by DCA Guest Services hoping we could avoid the ticket line, but CM told us they couldn't do it there.

After 30+ minutes in the ticket booth line the CM apologized for the wait, but told us they were unable to do it because of a computer system issue and they were hoping they'd be able to later in the day. She instructed us to go ahead and pay the $10 for the single day MaxPass in the official app, save that email receipt to show at the booth later and they would credit us for it when they were able to add the $75 MP to our APs.

Saw someone in this thread mention they were able to add the $75 option by calling the AP phone number, so tried that hoping to avoid the ticket booth, but CM said they couldn't give us the credit for the single day passes and to just go to the ticket booth next time.

Despite all this, we still had a fun day at the parks and really enjoyed MaxPass once we got it. We were able to do 16 rides (including GOTG twice), saw a parade, fireworks and got incredible free spots right next to the BB premium area for the new Fantasmic

were you able to add MP to your AP via the AP phone line? i would prefer to add now than when we arrive and risk a long ticket booth line!

I have a few specific Max Pass questions hopefully those who have tried it can answer for me.
Let's assume everyone in my party has the maxpass.

Do you all have to enter the park to obtain a fastpass??? OR just a single member of your party?

If you enter the DL park, can you obtain a Max Pass for DCA park while in the Disneyland park?

If you enter the park in the morning, leave for the afternoon. Are you able to obtain a fast pass for either of the parks once you are standing outside of the gates???

If you are leaving the park and trying to get a fast pass for a later time and the return time is earlier than you will be able to go back to the park, can you get a later time fastpass? or book your fastpass and then cancel and rebook for a later time once you realize you wont be back in the park in time???

Lastly, How does it work as far as I read sometimes you can book a "canceled fastpass" and the return time is sooner than the one posted for the paper fast pass??? Has anyone experienced this?

Any other little tips or querks?? Thanks sooooo much.. I saw the thread but I had these specific questions I was hoping to get answers to....

I have a few specific Max Pass questions hopefully those who have tried it can answer for me.

Do you all have to enter the park to obtain a fastpass??? OR just a single member of your party?

If you enter the DL park, can you obtain a Max Pass for DCA park while in the Disneyland park?

If you enter the park in the morning, leave for the afternoon. Are you able to obtain a fast pass for either of the parks once you are standing outside of the gates???

If you are leaving the park and trying to get a fast pass for a later time and the return time is earlier than you will be able to go back to the park, can you get a later time fastpass? or book your fastpass and then cancel and rebook for a later time once you realize you wont be back in the park in time???

Lastly, How does it work as far as I read sometimes you can book a "canceled fastpass" and the return time is sooner than the one posted for the paper fast pass??? Has anyone experienced this?

Any other little tips or querks?? Thanks sooooo much.. I saw the thread but I had these specific questions I was hoping to get answers to....

1) Only the people that enter a park can get a fastpass but your whole family for example does not need to enter in order for you to get a fastpass if you enter the park.

2) yes, you can get a pass for another park as long as you've entered one for the day.

3) You will not be offered time choices for booking a particular fastpass but I am sure you can cancel a fastpass and then book another though that same fastpass may not be available later - some like RSR and GotG run out early.

4) The cancelled fastpasses can only be accessed by the maxpass/app system, not the kiosks. Maybe those that know how computer systems, etc... work would know why but I'm sure it is complex.

5) I can't think of any tips though don't count on the wi-fi. Load up on data and get a back up battery for your phone or buy into the fuel rods offered by Disney. If you do that, you can save some money by buying it online, but I have not done this so am not sure how it works. I have only read about it.

Last edited:

I haven't used it yet, but I've been following all the info pretty closely and I can answer some of your questions.

-If everyone in your party wants a FP or to use MP they all must be scanned into the park.

-You can obtain a FP through MP at either park from either park once you're scanned into one of the parks.

-Reports have been that once you've scanned into one of the parks you can continue to book FP with MP all day, even if outside the parks. Some have reported being able to do it from their house!

-FP can be canceled and new ones booked if you want to change your time.

-No answer for your last question though, sorry!!

Yes, you all have to enter a park in order to book FP.
Yes, you can get DCA FPs if you are in DL. I don't know whether that works if you haven't also been scanned into DCA, however.
Yes, you can get FPs outside of the parks if you've been scanned in.
Yes, you can cancel an FP if you realize that its return time isn't going to work for you. You cannot request a later time from the get-go, however.
Yes, you may get an earlier FP when booking with MP if someone canceled one for the earlier time.

• Both can use their phones or their pass/ticket to enter the FP line. (Really, all you need is the pass/ticket barcode in any form.)
  • Both will get an anytime pass if a ride breaks down during your FP window.
F
Thanks so much for the information! I have a follow up question for the two items quoted above. To use an "anytime" pass, I believe it can be used for any fastpass ride at any time, other than a few they note. What if you have an actual fastpass for a ride that you want to do twice within the same time period? If you scan your AP at the fastpass entry, how would they know if you are using the anytime pass or the regular fastpass? Or to use an "anytime" pass do you need to enter with the app?
Thanks again for the wonderful list. Very helpful. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I don't want to buy MP, because if too many people do it, there is no chance they would potentially offer it for free in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter