MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

I'm just speculating like everyone else, but all I see being implemented here is a different way of checking in and redeem your fastpass, "in advance of implementing maxpass."

I think you are correct... But, I would still expect Disney to release some information.

I agree Jeff, this tells me the new way (not MaxPass) is starting the 21st. You will now need your tickets to get through the fastpass line to scan (same ticket you used to pull the paper fastpass). Doesn't say when MaxPass is starting really, so that is still up in the air. No huge change for us, since I pull all fastpasses for my family and keep them and tickets with me (and we all ride together). Just might take more time to get through because now someone has to stop and look for their tickets while going into the fastpass line... will make fastpass run slower I bet.

I wonder if they will scan things just at the entry or also later on in the line when the CMs usually now take the paper fastpass. If they only scan the tickets (or your phone) right away won't people (by people I mean jerky people) in the stand-by line be able to jump into the fastpass line? The way it's handled now works really well to prevent this.

I'm sad about the scanning - it will slow things down. I know probably not by a lot but anything that slows down a line makes me sad!

I guess no one knows yet, but I bought tickets online, and have them on my phone, in the app. I know I'll get a paper ticket when we get to the gates on our first day. Those paper tickets will be used to pull out the FP at the machines. What will we scan for FP to redeem, though? Would the phone bar code work, or would it have to be the paper ticket?
The paper ticket that you use to pull the Fastpass is the same ticket that will be scanned when you redeem the FP at the ride.

The paper ticket that you use to pull the Fastpass is the same ticket that will be scanned when you redeem the FP at the ride.

It should also be connected to the image of your tickets via the Disneyland phone app.
You would still need the original physical ticket to grab your FP return time ticket.

Once you get to the FP return location you will scan the bar either by ticket or app to enter the FP line.

Last edited:

What if your phone battery dies later in the day? I am going to be there on Saturday through Monday. Will be quite curious to hear from people starting Wednesday.

I wonder if they will scan things just at the entry or also later on in the line when the CMs usually now take the paper fastpass...

A CM at BTMRR showed us the scanners where they normally take your FPs (by the water, before you make the turn to go through the turnstiles to go up the stairs). The CM at the beginning of the FP line will remind you to have your ticket or AP ready to scan, then you will use the machines at the regular spot.

What if your phone battery dies later in the day? I am going to be there on Saturday through Monday...

This is why you see people charging their phones in restaurants and restrooms. There are also vending machines in various locations in both parks that sell chargers. The chargers seem expensive (and are cheaper on Amazon), but once you buy one, it can be returned for a fresh one repeatedly throughout your stay. I know there is a machine in Kingston Photos in DCA. Not sure where the other vending machines are located.

What if your phone battery dies later in the day? I am going to be there on Saturday through Monday. Will be quite curious to hear from people starting Wednesday.

Consider perhaps investing in a portable battery charger. You charge it at home or in your room overnight and charge your phone throughout the day with it. The one we bought from Amazon was $36 and charges up to 8 full phone charges. It's about the size and weight of a full soda can. We plug in our phones and put them in our backpacks to charge. The things they sell inside the park are quite expensive in comparison. It's a "must-have" in our Disneyland pack now.

Novel idea... just change over to Magic Bands. It sounds like they are trying a convoluted way of achieving the same thing and I'm not sure why. Even if you want people to pay $10 a day for it, just do MB. solves the needing a phone issue, checking tickets, scanning, etc etc.
It feels like that's what they are working towards, somehow. If not MB, maybe something similar. Someone Machiavellian might say they're creating the "find your ticket" chaos on purpose for people to want to have a magic band :)

It's incredible how Disney has not announced anything officially........... Like another user said above there is usually beta Test phases for these systems, it is a big change and Disney can potentially increase their revenue if done right.

The people most affected are us who maximize their FP strategy... but we are only the 5% of the park attendees at max.. So many people don't even know how to use a regular fast pass, now I can imagine the potential chaos this can cause.... I pitty the CM's who will basically have to start fresh and educate everybody again on fastpass use...

A CM at BTMRR showed us the scanners where they normally take your FPs (by the water, before you make the turn to go through the turnstiles to go up the stairs). The CM at the beginning of the FP line will remind you to have your ticket or AP ready to scan, then you will use the machines at the regular spot.

Thanks for this info! That totally makes sense. Sounds like a good plan (if you have to scan something) I hope most people just scan their tickets or passes. I admit to getting irritated with people who reach for their phones to get scanned and then realize their phone went to sleep, they accidentally logged out, etc. I have season tickets for a sports team that went digital with their tickets last year and the lines to get in were way slower the entire season because of phone issues.

While I hated FP+, I thought MagicBands were the best thing since sliced bread when we went to WDW in 2014. I'd welcome their advent at my favorite park. Just not FP+

That is exactly how we feel. We still hate FP+ to the point where even though we are long time WDW vets, we almost prefer DLR for the flexibility and to avoid FP+ (the only thing we miss at DLR is EPCOT, and other than that, I think DH would be happy never dealing with FP+ again and sticking to DLR). I don't see FP+ as really being workable at DLR- at least I hope not because we would be extremely sad to lose the freedom and flexibility we feel at DLR. We absolutely love Magic Bands.

While I hated FP+, I thought MagicBands were the best thing since sliced bread when we went to WDW in 2014. I'd welcome their advent at my favorite park. Just not FP+
I agree, while we haven't had the chance to get out to WDW, Magic Bands sounds like a great idea.

I have to agree, Magic Bands would be easier. Make them optional, like at WDW. People will BUY THEM, a win win. You could give free ones to resort guests like at WDW, there are not many onsite resort guests at DL, or only offer them for sale. Bands are pretty great, would work at park entry, FP, photo pass, etc.

I feel exactly like this!! I loved the ease of the MB and I'd love to see them at DL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter