MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

It's really not though. Those weren't FPs they were given but reminders. It sucks we can't do that anymore but it's still not definitive proof that I can't use my kids AP/FP at the scanner. I'm not trying to be contrary I just think people are looking for issues where there most likely are none.
I'm not making any issues. Just reporting what I saw. What I posted earlier said I was in the parks and it wasn't a big deal at all.

What I really dislike is that DH skips a lot of the rides due to back issues so he usually is our FP runner while we are on the rides. So I really dislike us having to carry our tickets with us on the ride, which means he can't use that time to get us more FP :(

Not having been before, I'm not sure of the queuing procedure, but how does the FP runner get the cards off the other family members if they need to scan them twice before riding the ride.

This may not help in many cases where you pick up your tickets at the turnstiles as you first enter the parks, but if you have your hard-stock tickets before going to the parks, you can make a photocopy of the tickets and cut them to the same dimensions. The FastPass distribution machines scan photocopies as well as originals. Plus the thinner copies take up less room in a wallet, especially relative to the thick AP cards. And if the copies are lost, it is less of a worry than losing the original tickets.

This may not help in many cases where you pick up your tickets at the turnstiles as you first enter the parks, but if you have your hard-stock tickets before going to the parks, you can make a photocopy of the tickets and cut them to the same dimensions. The FastPass distribution machines scan photocopies as well as originals. Plus the thinner copies take up less room in a wallet, especially relative to the thick AP cards. And if the copies are lost, it is less of a worry than losing the original tickets.

Thanks for the suggestion, we are staying at PPH and I assume will be given our tickets when we arrive. Do they have a business centre where I could photo copy the tickets.

DISCLAIMER: I understand MaxPass isn't happening yet

But I still have questions :) I like to over-think things - part of my charm - so bear with me! Is the photopass the real deal photopass? Like for characters, castle, etc. or is it ride photos only? $10 a day for the full PP seems crazy low (not that I'm complaining!) but maybe I'm still to used to WDW where it's $149. I remember last year it was much cheaper per day, but not as low as $10. We aren't going until Oct, so I anticipate a lot of things clearing up by then, but I feel almost as overwhelmed as I did when FP+ was rolling out.. and I absolutely agree with folks who have said we need magicbands in some form. Although since we trade pins, the lanyard idea will probably work for us!
Keep in mind that Photopass at DLR is typically cheaper than WDW to begin with. The maximum length ticket you can buy at DLR is 5 days (without an AP). At WDW it's double that. So typically shorter trips and fewer photos at DLR.

Also note that the original blog post on MaxPass referred to $10/days the "introductory price".

Last edited:

I haven't used the system yet, in fact I haven't been to DL since 2014 (going back in Sept.), but I'm not seeing what the big issues are here.

Top complaint I've seen is that everyone needs to have their tickets out and ready at every ride.
-Didn't you need to do that already but with paper passes? (I know, I'd rather keep my park ticket secure and not in and out of pockets, but still)
-Didn't the FP runner already need to have everyone's park ticket to get the FP paper ticket?

All I'm saying is that I don't see much of a difference there. Someone can still be the runner, get FP for the group and then everyone needs to show up in the window together and ride. Everyone still has to show some type of ticket to get in the FP line.

Now when MaxPass comes out that's a different story because those people get an advantage over the people running all over the park. I find that to be a way for DL to make extra money and that's the worst part. $10/person so I can essentially just use the app. Kind of crummy if you ask me when you're paying a lot to be in the parks in the first place. Why wouldn't they just do what WDW does and offer it to everyone if they chose to use it.

Keep in mind that Photopass at DLR is typically cheaper than WDW to begin with. The maximum length ticket you can buy at DLR is 5 days (without an AP). At WDW it's double that. So typically shorter trips and fewer photos at DLR.

Also note that the original blog post on MaxPass referred to $10/days the "introductory price".

Yup I remember the pleasant "sticker shock" when we went for the first time last year. I was expecting to drop the usual $149 for PP and it was much less! :) We only went for 3 days last year but got a pretty good amount of pics. At least I walked away feeling I got my $ worth.

So any clue if this will be a thing I can buy as soon as it comes out and wait to activate it? Like we bought PP a few months prior to our trip and then activated it our first day. Seeing as how we aren't going until Oct, I don't want this price to double or something, which, unfortunately the way Disney is going, I could totally see happening.

Yup I remember the pleasant "sticker shock" when we went for the first time last year. I was expecting to drop the usual $149 for PP and it was much less! :) We only went for 3 days last year but got a pretty good amount of pics. At least I walked away feeling I got my $ worth.

So any clue if this will be a thing I can buy as soon as it comes out and wait to activate it? Like we bought PP a few months prior to our trip and then activated it our first day. Seeing as how we aren't going until Oct, I don't want this price to double or something, which, unfortunately the way Disney is going, I could totally see happening.
Nobody knows details on how it will work. There has been very little information released.

I haven't used the system yet, in fact I haven't been to DL since 2014 (going back in Sept.), but I'm not seeing what the big issues are here.

Top complaint I've seen is that everyone needs to have their tickets out and ready at every ride.
-Didn't you need to do that already but with paper passes? (I know, I'd rather keep my park ticket secure and not in and out of pockets, but still)
-Didn't the FP runner already need to have everyone's park ticket to get the FP paper ticket?

All I'm saying is that I don't see much of a difference there. Someone can still be the runner, get FP for the group and then everyone needs to show up in the window together and ride. Everyone still has to show some type of ticket to get in the FP line.

Now when MaxPass comes out that's a different story because those people get an advantage over the people running all over the park. I find that to be a way for DL to make extra money and that's the worst part. $10/person so I can essentially just use the app. Kind of crummy if you ask me when you're paying a lot to be in the parks in the first place. Why wouldn't they just do what WDW does and offer it to everyone if they chose to use it.

On rides that do a re-scan of the ticket at the end of the line, the runner cannot collect everyone's tickets and go get another set of fastpasses while the group is riding. This is a change.

This adds some inconvenience to people that liked to use that method. But like you, I don't see this being a major upheaval. It's not like everyone has to plan their fastpasses 60 days out...

At least we are all in this together! :grouphug: The thing that frustrates me is we found DLR to be so much less stressful than WDW as far as planning - I'm sure I'm just being silly, but for some odd reason MP is stressing me out with all the unknowns!

An advantage my older DD pointed out to DS last night was that having your FP on your ticket/AP meant that you couldn't lose your FPs. Even if you were to lose your ticket/AP the FPs are tied to the number on them so they'd be replaced with the ticket/AP.

On rides that do a re-scan of the ticket at the end of the line, the runner cannot collect everyone's tickets and go get another set of fastpasses while the group is riding. This is a change.

This adds some inconvenience to people that liked to use that method. But like you, I don't see this being a major upheaval. It's not like everyone has to plan their fastpasses 60 days out...
I'm thinking when MaxPass rolls out we'll be able to use the FPs digitally and that we'll be able to do that again. This week with the return times being *right now* it was very easy to have 2-3 sets of FPs and anticipating a fourth all within in an hour or so. Made for some extra FP running but was worth it. The trick was finding the soonest return time and working from there.

I'm thinking when MaxPass rolls out we'll be able to use the FPs digitally and that we'll be able to do that again. This week with the return times being *right now* it was very easy to have 2-3 sets of FPs and anticipating a fourth all within in an hour or so. Made for some extra FP running but was worth it. The trick was finding the soonest return time and working from there.
Yep. With Maxpass the "runner" can just be a "stander" and get the same thing accomplished with just their phone!

Yes, but only the people opting to pay the up charge for MaxPass. I don't think that piece will improve for those choosing not to pay the up charge.

Yep. With Maxpass the "runner" can just be a "stander" and get the same thing accomplished with just their phone!
Haha, well I meant hopefully all FPs will be scannable from your phone. We won't be doing Max Pass unless there is a deep discount for APs. We don't mind running for them. Crisscrossing has always been a part of our touring style. Before the parks were connected we didn't think much of crossing parks for FPs.

Is the FP runner thing really that big of an issue? There are only so many FP rides, if you want a FP for Splash, the runner can go while others ride it's a small world or go to the tiki room.

Maybe I just don't get the big deal. But I am not one to crisscross the park. Seems like such a waste of time and energy. But I'm old and remember the "good ol' days" before FP.

Is the FP runner thing really that big of an issue? There are only so many FP rides, if you want a FP for Splash, the runner can go while others ride it's a small world or go to the tiki room.

Maybe I just don't get the big deal. But I am not one to crisscross the park. Seems like such a waste of time and energy. But I'm old and remember the "good ol' days" before FP.
That was my first thought. Then I remembered that you're eligible for a new FP when the hour begins on your existing FP. So it makes sense that the group would want to ride their current FP ride asap, while the runner gets new FPs, also asap. With the new system, already in effect, you can't do both unless you have a copy of your ticket so it can be scanned both on the current ride and the FP kiosk for the new ride.

On the other hand, I'm old, too. I remember crisscrossing MK when FP- first came out, and that was fine (especially if I had someone to watch the kiddles while I ran). But I'm now too old for that, was happy with FP+ at WDW, and regret MaxPass won't be ready for my DLR trip.

It's simple, folks. When the window opens the runner can get the next fast pass. Once he or she returns to the group everyone can then scan their tickets and ride the attraction. I don't get the whole scan first then run problem. Just swap the order. I did this many times Wednesday. I'd tell the family, "Meet me by Space Mountain," then I'd run to Big Thunder and grab a FP and return and ride Space together.

That was my first thought. Then I remembered that you're eligible for a new FP when the hour begins on your existing FP. So it makes sense that the group would want to ride their current FP ride asap, while the runner gets new FPs, also asap. With the new system, already in effect, you can't do both unless you have a copy of your ticket so it can be scanned both on the current ride and the FP kiosk for the new ride.

On the other hand, I'm old, too. I remember crisscrossing MK when FP- first came out, and that was fine (especially if I had someone to watch the kiddles while I ran). But I'm now too old for that, was happy with FP+ at WDW, and regret MaxPass won't be ready for my DLR trip.
As I have posted in other threads, I was the ultimate FP- runner at DLR and WDW and would criss-cross parks multiple times a day for coveted FPs. With FP+ at WDW of course that is no longer necessary, and for me it was one of the huge advantages of FP+. Like @GaryDis I am feeling the years gaining on me and I am just not as excited about chasing FP- anymore as I used to be. What that means in practice for DLR is we probably don't do quite as many FP rides as we used used to - unless I have some of the kids with me (all in their 20's now) and they can be the FP runner.

Frankly MaxPass sounds like a great compromise for me personally between WDW's FP+ (which I think would be a mistake at DLR) and FP- (which requires FP running). It is good to see that Disney is keeping their eye on the ball here.

The issue of $10 a day? I wonder where that is coming from. I mean, if they drop paper FPs altogether and MaxPass becomes the only way to do FPs (including FP kiosks at DLR like at WDW) then they would have to do away with the $10 upcharge because everyone need access. They could bump park tickets by $10 a day and then it would be the same thing as an upcharge but would not feel like it since it is built into the ticket.

My suspicion is that Disney is doing a test with the $10 thing and also trying to limit access a bit while they gather data.

A whole other thing goes along with newly implemented "use your park ticket/AP at the FP return line - and not the FP itself" that I have not seen anyone mention here is data. I have always understood that the paper FPs just were collected and put in a drawer. So Disney had no idea once you personally pulled a FP if you (or anyone) ever used it. Now they will because the FP returns is tied to your park tickets/AP. When that scans for FP they know it is you (aside from the park ticket switching tests folks have reported).

With that I suspect they will let the new system + MaxPass run awhile (a year?) so they can collect data and make some decisions with that data. Ultimately it makes total sense to bring MagicBands to DLR and that seems unanimous by the posters on this thread. MagicBands with a MaxPass system with no upcharge seems like a good fit at DLR. Again, it is good to see Disney keeping their eye on the ball and being willing to understand that FP+ would be a bad idea at DLR.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts