MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

I've never been to WDW so I have a curiosity question on magic bands - do you use your phone to collect fast passes? I was wondering how this would work now that my kids are getting older. Could their ticket be linked to my phone (for when we are together and want to get fast passes together - similar to my DH being the fast pass runner now) AND linked to their phone (so they could get fast passes when they are separate)? We haven't let them go off on their own yet, but they are turning 14 this year and I think it will happen eventually. The idea of not having to keep track of paper sounds awesome.

yes, we use our phone. I have my husband and my son's account linked to mine and I can do them for them from my phone. I believe there is an option from the park too.

However this is mainly for 4th fast pass, first 3 you can do from home on pc before you enter the park (30 days ahead for off site, 60 for onsite)

I've never been to WDW so I have a curiosity question on magic bands - do you use your phone to collect fast passes? I was wondering how this would work now that my kids are getting older. Could their ticket be linked to my phone (for when we are together and want to get fast passes together - similar to my DH being the fast pass runner now) AND linked to their phone (so they could get fast passes when they are separate)? We haven't let them go off on their own yet, but they are turning 14 this year and I think it will happen eventually. The idea of not having to keep track of paper sounds awesome.
You have an online/app account. You could add your kids under your account OR they could have their own account that you link to your "main" account.

When you run the main account, you assign the privileges for they people that you link. You could give them the ability to modify their passes, or you could make it so only you can do it. All of this is run from the app, or the website.

The magic band is link to the online account you set up.

That's the cliff notes. There are pages and pages of what-ifs in the WDW Fastpass+ thread...

Everything is all about My Disney Experience. So, the Magic Band is linked to an MDE account, and your ticket is linked to the MDE account, and the FP's are linked to the MDE account. Your MDE account can be accessed by phone app, or on the website. Parents can have a separate MDE account from their children, or parents can manage their kids' accounts. Even if they have their own separate account, you add them as family/friends on your list and you can do FP's for everyone, or they can do them on their own. If you want them to do them on their own, it is best for them to have their own account, or else they would have to log into your account to get their FP's if they were on their own.

There are 2 ways to get fast passes at WDW that would translate well to DLR. First, you can use the My Disney Experience app on your phone. To me, that sounds like what Max Pass is supposed to be. Second, you can go to a centralized kiosk in the park and touch it with your magic band or park ticket. This is most similar to what DLR has now, except that DLR has ride-specific kiosks located near each ride, as opposed to centralized kiosks that offer available fast passes for any ride. (There is a 3rd way -- reserving days/weeks ahead online -- but that is not being discussed for DLR.)

The park tickets are added to profiles. If you choose to link your profile with someone, then, yes, they would be able to reserve fast passes for you. And, yes, you would still be able to reserve fast passes on your own profile, even if you have linked it with someone else.

Novel idea... just change over to Magic Bands.

The problem is you can't just give out Magic Bands and that's it. There's a huge rollout involved in terms of infrastructure. Essentially you need to upgrade every room to include locks that accept the magic bands. You need to upgrade the turnstiles and fast pass machines with magic band readers. You need to equip all photopass photographers with magic band readers. You need to upgrade all retail and dining outlets with magic band readers.

the whole appeal of the magic band system at WDW is that it's a one-stop-shop for all your needs. If you have it on your wrist, you don't need your wallet, room key, photopass card or ticket. Offering it JUST for fastpasses would undermine the value of the system, so IMO if you're going to roll out magic band, you need to do it completely across the board.

I say this as a huge fan of the magic band system. I would love to see it at DLR. Just realistic in terms of the amount of work it would take.

I was prepared to hate MBs and FP+. Something I love, love, love about MBs are the ride photos and the parks photographers. Since Disney knows where you are through your MB, it knows what ride you are on. And what ride vehicle you are in! So, using MB it directs your ride photos to you automatically sent without any effort on your part. You can see them on your phone 15-30 minutes after you get off the ride. You can buy individual ones or all of them with MemoryMaker (which is what I do).

When you encounter a park photographer, they just scan your MB after they take your photo.

I too would be very happy if they brought MBs to DLR. I am definitely a convert.

As for FP+, I have discussed that elsewhere and I did not hate FP+ any where near like I expected. I think I would hate it at DLR (if implemented like WDW) because one of the great things about DLR is the limited planning needed. Since WDW already needs substantial planning then the addition of FP+ is (to me) not as huge of a step.

:wizard:

The problem is you can't just give out Magic Bands and that's it. There's a huge rollout involved in terms of infrastructure. Essentially you need to upgrade every room to include locks that accept the magic bands. You need to upgrade the turnstiles and fast pass machines with magic band readers. You need to equip all photopass photographers with magic band readers. You need to upgrade all retail and dining outlets with magic band readers.

the whole appeal of the magic band system at WDW is that it's a one-stop-shop for all your needs. If you have it on your wrist, you don't need your wallet, room key, photopass card or ticket. Offering it JUST for fastpasses would undermine the value of the system, so IMO if you're going to roll out magic band, you need to do it completely across the board.

I say this as a huge fan of the magic band system. I would love to see it at DLR. Just realistic in terms of the amount of work it would take.
Correct me if im wrong (i've not yet been to DLR, just done the research) but i assumed that they have RFID scanners to scan your tickets/room keys/photopass cards? Yes they're all on different systems, but they're RFID terminals all the same right?
The MBs read off the same technology, so wouldnt the main changeover be at retail outlets/restaurants/QS windows?

Correct me if im wrong (i've not yet been to DLR, just done the research) but i assumed that they have RFID scanners to scan your tickets/room keys/photopass cards? Yes they're all on different systems, but they're RFID terminals all the same right?
The MBs read off the same technology, so wouldnt the main changeover be at retail outlets/restaurants/QS windows?

From memory (it's been a couple of years since I've been), photopass is barcode (QR code?) and park tickets are barcodes (turnstiles and fast pass). I can't remember 100% on the room key, but I seem to recall it's a magnetic strip, not RFID.

Regardless, I would suggest that it's a bit simplistic to say that they're all running off the same technology so can be easily integrated. Each piece of equipment would still need to be assessed for compatibility with the software solution developed.

From memory (it's been a couple of years since I've been), photopass is barcode (QR code?) and park tickets are barcodes (turnstiles and fast pass). I can't remember 100% on the room key, but I seem to recall it's a magnetic strip, not RFID.
Ahh, gotcha!! a bit behind the times then!

Regardless, I would suggest that it's a bit simplistic to say that they're all running off the same technology so can be easily integrated. Each piece of equipment would still need to be assessed for compatibility with the software solution developed.
yes it's simplistic and of course it would have to be assessed, but its also far less of an investment that a roll out of completely new equipment right?
of course its moot if they run on barcodes.

Also this week something funky has been happening with FP.

I don't expect it to last but return times on some attractions were really fast.
For example, I pulled a FP for Grizzly today at 1050am and the return time was 11am with me being allowed to pick up my next FP at 11am. Went to Goofy, picked up that FP at 11am return time was 1110am with me being allowed to pick up my FP at 1110.

Right now it's 610pm and on the Disneyland App, Big Thunder is showing a return time of 615pm.
Same weirdness for Haunted Mansion, Buzz, and Roger Rabbit.

I don't expect it to last but return times on some attractions were really fast.
For example, I pulled a FP for Grizzly today at 1050am and the return time was 11am with me being allowed to pick up my next FP at 11am. Went to Goofy, picked up that FP at 11am return time was 1110am with me being allowed to pick up my FP at 1110.

Right now it's 610pm and on the Disneyland App, Big Thunder is showing a return time of 615pm.
Wow, yeah. Just checked Buzz - at 7:07, FP return time was 7:05.

So weird! California Screamin is showing a 7:20 return time and it's 7:23! I wonder what's up?

It does seem odd that, for something they are confident will start Wednesday, we haven't heard a peep from Disney officially on this.
From a little bird, I heard they canceled the Wed start at 3 this afternoon.

DLR does not use RFID at this time.

Can confirm this! We're here right now, and got FPs for BIg Thunder, Haunted, and Buzz within 15 minutes. Catch is that you have to wait for an hour to pass before you can get a repeat FP. Example, we got a FP for Big THunder at 6:04 for 6:05. And the ticket said we could get another FP at 6:05. But when I tried to get more for Thunder, the ticket that popped out said you could only hold one pass per attraction at a time. So we went and got the others, and that was just fine. Crazy.

I thought that was weird, but I'm new to DL, so I wasn't sure. We pulled a FP for Big Thunder at 5:04 and the return time was 5:05. I went over to pull one for Haunted Mansion at 5:16 and the return time was 5:20.

We ran into this today too - we used it at CA Screamin' when it finally opened. Standby was an hour, but FP return time was in 5 minutes. We pulled it and they told us to go ahead on. Can't figure out why people were waiting an hour in almost triple digit heat, but it worked well for us :)

Add Star Tours to the list of no wait FP.

Also, one would think this new timing would mean long FP lines. But they all seem to be the same length as usual.

Can confirm this! We're here right now, and got FPs for BIg Thunder, Haunted, and Buzz within 15 minutes. Catch is that you have to wait for an hour to pass before you can get a repeat FP. Example, we got a FP for Big THunder at 6:04 for 6:05. And the ticket said we could get another FP at 6:05. But when I tried to get more for Thunder, the ticket that popped out said you could only hold one pass per attraction at a time. So we went and got the others, and that was just fine. Crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter