• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Resort

Another question: Buying DVC, I know, ultimately, that I can sell the contracts for (hopefully) close to the purchase price or more. And it’s pretty easy to do, with all the DVC resale brokers out there. How does the resale process work with Marriott? Can you ever get your money out of it? And what are the yearly cost of dues?

Not sure on your question about resale for MVC.

One important aspect of the MVC is that it is yours forever and you can will it to whomever you wish. When we looked at DVC we were told that our membership would end in 2042. Marriott does not have an end date.

Not sure on your question about resale for MVC.

One important aspect of the MVC is that it is yours forever and you can will it to whomever you wish. When we looked at DVC we were told that our membership would end in 2042. Marriott does not have an end date.
Sorry for not being clear! The big complaint against most timeshares occurs when members tire of paying the yearly maintenance fees, which can get pricey, and realize that their timeshare is very difficult to get out of and impossible to sell. So they either default on paying the dues and take the hit on their credit and just walk away, or give the timeshare away so the next owner will pay the dues. In both cases the timeshare would have become worthless. And, yes, I guess you could will it to whomever you wish, but, if there’s no way to resell it, you‘re basically just passing on the yearly obligation to pay the maintenance fees.

This is not the case with DVC because there is a robust resale market, where in many cases the timeshare sells for higher than the initial purchase price. Without getting into too much detail, some Disney memberships expire in 2042, but others expire in the 2060s and even 2070.

So re Marriott, my question is, what is the exit strategy? If you no longer use the timeshare, and want to stop paying the maintenance fees, will it be easy or difficult to sell? Can you ever get your money back? By the way, the Ko Olina Marriott is beautiful!

I would love to get more information about the Marriott Vacation Club, do you know any good resources or discussion boards to understand how the points work and booking information?
How does the resale process work with Marriott? Can you ever get your money out of it? And what are the yearly cost of dues?
So re Marriott, my question is, what is the exit strategy? If you no longer use the timeshare, and want to stop paying the maintenance fees, will it be easy or difficult to sell? Can you ever get your money back? By the way, the Ko Olina Marriott is beautiful!
I recommend reading the Tugbbs.com forums. There are tons of Marriott owners and they know all about all of this stuff. You can also look at the Tug Marketplace and see how much resales are listed for. You can go to Ebay, enter the resort and select completed auctions to see how much specific locations/weeks have sold for recently.

Marriott has weeks for sale on resale which can trade to other Marriott locations through Interval World. Marriott has points for sale, both retail and resale. Personally, I wouldn't buy Marriott from the developer based on cost alone, but if there are any differences between retail and resale benefits, you'll find all of that on Tug.

I recommend reading the Tugbbs.com forums. There are tons of Marriott owners and they know all about all of this stuff. You can also look at the Tug Marketplace and see how much resales are listed for. You can go to Ebay, enter the resort and select completed auctions to see how much specific locations/weeks have sold for recently.

Marriott has weeks for sale on resale which can trade to other Marriott locations through Interval World. Marriott has points for sale, both retail and resale. Personally, I wouldn't buy Marriott from the developer based on cost alone, but if there are any differences between retail and resale benefits, you'll find all of that on Tug.
Will do. Thanks!

Marriott will also purchase your points from you if you decide to leave the timeshare. At what rate I have no idea because we don't plan on doing that.

I do know that right after we made our last purchase of points, the cost did go up.

Marriott will also purchase your points from you if you decide to leave the timeshare. At what rate I have no idea because we don't plan on doing that.

I do know that right after we made our last purchase of points, the cost did go up.
The rate is pennies on the dollar, which is not good at all. From my quick research, points are relatively difficult to sell.

The rate is pennies on the dollar, which is not good at all. From my quick research, points are relatively difficult to sell.

Well, since we aren't selling then we don't have to worry about it.

We have enough points for 3 week-long vacations every year. Right now we rent two of the weeks and that money pays for the maintenance fees plus some. We save the extra so that when we can take 3 week long vacations we still have the rental money to pay for the fees.

DH has 3 siblings. When we decide we can't travel any more or we die, the weeks are going to be split up between our nieces and nephew. They will take turns each year on who uses the week. You can't do that with DVC.

Well, since we aren't selling then we don't have to worry about it.

We have enough points for 3 week-long vacations every year. Right now we rent two of the weeks and that money pays for the maintenance fees plus some. We save the extra so that when we can take 3 week long vacations we still have the rental money to pay for the fees.

DH has 3 siblings. When we decide we can't travel any more or we die, the weeks are going to be split up between our nieces and nephew. They will take turns each year on who uses the week. You can't do that with DVC.
You can do it with DVC, but it takes a little planning. If you have 3 people to whom you’d ultimately want to will, say, 300 points, you’d have to initially buy three 100 point contracts. If they receive them years later, for whatever reason, any time before the contracts’ expiration date, which for the newest resort would be 2070, they could still use the points for potentially many many years. But, you’re correct, with DVC you can’t split up a contract and divide the points.

But, whether it’s DVC or Marriott, the gift comes with an annual, pricey obligation to pay the maintenance fees. With DVC, the inheritors would have an option to sell the contract on the resale market if they don’t want the points. I’m not sure it would be as easy or profitable with Marriott. That said, I’m no expert, and though we do own at Aulani, we love the walk by the lagoons down to the Marriott, and I do think it’s one of the prettiest and highest quality resort properties on Oahu. If we weren’t such Disney fans, we probably would have purchased there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter