March 30th Magic - Castaway Cay Day

DixieDreamer

<font color=blue>Instant Human - <font color=brown
<bgsound src="http://www.lyonfamilywdw.com/CalypsoMidis/feelhi1.mid"loop="2">

Disney saved the best for last - putting the day at Castaway Cay on the final day of our "magical" vacation. We arrived into port and had an excellent view from our verandah of this beautiful paradise island.

<center>
DCL_CCBay3.JPG
</center>

After a quick (but oh so substantial!) breakfast, we proceeded to the gangway to get in line for leaving the ship. We had heard that umbrellas on the beach went fast - and wanted to be sure we claimed one early. We made a bee line to the family beach area and found a perfect spot close to everything. DD and I had decided to do some snorkeling and so we immediately went to get our equipment. We got into the water before too many people began stirring the area up and were rewarded with a wonderful snorkeling experience. The number and variety of fish was astounding! We did the entire large circuit of the lagoon before we finally came ashore - well over an hour later. Afterwards, we headed back to the family beach area to join DH who had comfortably settled into an island rhythm!

<center>
DCL_CC_2.JPG
</center>

DD swam while I relaxed for a while with DH. Her new friend Alyssa (from our dinner seating assignment) was there - and they spent many hours that day swimming and playing together.

<center>
DCL_CC_12.JPG
</center>

About 11 am we were able to fish DD out of the water and we all headed to the bike rental area. The cost was minimal to rent the bikes - and it turned out to be our favorite activity we did that day! The bike trail takes you over the old air strip towards the adult beach area, but then you turn on to a lovely dirt track (shaded by palms) that takes you to an ocean view point further out on the island. There were water stops along the way to stay hydrated and it turned out to be a very enjoyable ride. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing this. :)

We returned the bikes at about 12:30 pm and decided we had worked up an appetite. Cookies BBQ was just what we needed. We were pleasantly suprised to find the lines minimal and fast moving - and more importantly - that there was plenty of covered shade seating for everyone. We enjoyed our lunch in the shade and felt refreshed and ready to explore the island some more.

We explored the little retail shop. Next to this shopping area, there is a whimsical Disney detail that adds to the enchantment of this place. Mount Rustmore plays off the "castaway" theme... giving it a decidedly Disney twist!

<center>
DCL_CC_10.JPG
</center>

Opposite the shopping area is the children's area - Scuttles Cove - where alot of the planned kids activities took place.

<center>
DCL_CC_7.JPG
</center>

Later we returned to the beach, and swam and sunned some more. Finally, at about 3 pm we decided that we probably had had enough sun for one day - and began a slow return to the boat. We walked (rather than riding the tram) just to savor the island as much as we could. DD posed for me - proving that she was "hooked" on this place! :D

<center>
DCL_CC_14.JPG
</center>

The MAGIC stood tall and beautiful - waiting for her many "castaways" to return.

<center>
DCL_CC_9.JPG
</center>

All good things must come to an end... and so too did our "magical" vacation. To recap, we had splendid care from the Disney CM's, ate very well and were pleased with the overall quality of the food, and we felt our excursion choices were good ones. The only negative comment I would make, is that we really did not enjoy St. Martin as much as we did the other destinations. It was not bad - but comparatively - the other islands had more beauty to offer.

I hope you have enjoyed these reports, and I thank you for indulging my enthusiasm and desire to "share" our good times with everyone. :) If you missed the preceding reports - here are the links if you care to look at them:

A Day at Epcot

A Day at Animal Kingdom

All Aboard the MAGIC!

A Day at St. Martin

A Day at St. Thomas

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. The pictures were all just wonderful!!! You have a great eye! Thank you again!

Holy Cow what an outstanding report!! How did you get the pictures in the report? Sounds like your family had a great time. Thank for sharing.

TK

Thanks so much, Dbl D, for this last one, along with the others. Great treat for a landlubber like me. :)

How cute with Lindsay getting 'caught' on that hotdog bait from the FISHerman. :rolleyes: :D And that last shot of the ship is just breathtaking. Thanks for all.

I have enjoyed all of your trip reports so much DD!

You're reports are even better than looking at trip brochures! LOL;) You deserve a BIG pat on the back for all of the effort and time you've spent on these reports and for that I say thanks so much!:sunny: :sunny:

****Cindy

I'm going to quick post before my computer crashes again! :D

How wonderful Dixie! Thank you so much for posting these! I really have enjoyed them!

What did your DD have around her neck, if I may ask?

It must have been so hard to come home.:(

Thanks so much DD, for all the great reports.:)

Maybe it's because it's the last one, but I thought these pictures were extra special.;)

Or maybe it's my new computers video card that I just brought home today (same monitor)LOL

Ditto to Dan's comments.
Loved Lindsay w/hot dog catch & last shot of the ship:D

:jester: :Pinkbounc :jester: :jester: :Pinkbounc :jester: :Pinkbounc

CRB#33 my daughter has on the waterproof card holders - seals tight and has her Key To The World card (KTTW card) which is your room key, and your charge card while on board. When off the ship... you must have it (along with pic ID) to get back on the ship. The water proof carriers come in a slim version (what DD is wearing) and a fatter version that will hold more stuff (like what they sell at Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Very handy. I bought a couple.

Glad you all enjoyed the pics. Yes, it was very depressing to have to go home. :(

Great reports DD!!!!! I loved each and every single one! You, like Dan M, have an incredible talent for photography! Thank you so much for your reports! I'm all set to sail now! :D

My 7 yo DD read it to my 5 yo DS. They enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures also.

They are very excited and can't wait for our turn.

Thanks.

We loved your report. Our 7yo DD read it to our 5yo DS. They are so excited and can't wait for our turn.

Thanks!

Dixie Dreamer, looks like you really enjoyed yourselves!!! The photographs are beautiful - maybe they will help me convince DD that a cruise is in our future - disney of course!! Thanks again for posting, and it was so nice to meet you while in WDW! LisaF

Thank you soooo much! The pic and music is great. We are going in 14days and loved the advice. Take Care and have a magical day...by the way what kind of camera did you use?

Angela:cool:

angelabielanin - I was using a Canon PowerShot S10. It is a nice camera - physically small and takes high resolution pics. It has been a fun camera to have on trips.

Thank you! We are sailing one month from today and your posting makes us really want to start packing!

DixieDreamer:

Great report. I felt like I was right back on that cruise, the music did the trick. I wish I had your talent to make such a beautiful report. Glad you had a good time.

Lyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter