• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend DVC experiences

JeffW

Mouseketeer
Ok, I could easily see this as being in the wrong forum, so I apologize if I guessed wrong. But I inherently trust anyone that does runDisney so I want your feedback ::yes::

We are new owners at BLT (yay!). Open up the tool for January '18 and Th/Fri/Sat nights of marathon weekend are booked (boo). We're looking for a 1 bedroom and have the other nights surrounding these days reserved.

So my question for you experienced marathon DVC'ers, how much does the availability change, if at all, since we are a little over 8 months away? We'll potentially look to jump to another resort at 7 months, but wonder if there's still hope at our home resort and if there are other top secret strategies (other than booking 11 months out, which we'll do in future years)

People might be changing at 7 months, so keep your eyes open and check several times in that time period. I've had Bay Lake booked since 11 months for Princess, but at 7 months I'll be looking elsewhere...others might be doing the same for marathon weekend!

You can always try a waitlist, but also check on your own. WL isn't an instant thing, and manual checkers can often grab dates before they go to fill the WL.

And...if you're registered and committed to going, you might look to reserving a room anywhere on property. Make sure it's cancellable of course. Then if/when you get Bay Lake or another DVC, just cancel that.

Ok, I could easily see this as being in the wrong forum, so I apologize if I guessed wrong. But I inherently trust anyone that does runDisney so I want your feedback ::yes::

We are new owners at BLT (yay!). Open up the tool for January '18 and Th/Fri/Sat nights of marathon weekend are booked (boo). We're looking for a 1 bedroom and have the other nights surrounding these days reserved.

So my question for you experienced marathon DVC'ers, how much does the availability change, if at all, since we are a little over 8 months away? We'll potentially look to jump to another resort at 7 months, but wonder if there's still hope at our home resort and if there are other top secret strategies (other than booking 11 months out, which we'll do in future years)

We own at BLT too. Last year we were looking for a 2 bedroom and forgot to book till about month 9. We wound up waitlisting BLT at that point. At 7 months we booked OKW and then called and added Boardwalk to our waitlist. About 5 months out our waitlist of Boardwalk came through. When that happens your other waitlists are cancelled. So waitlists do come through but I am not sure if it will happen at BLT.

I've reserved marathon weekend at 11 months the past 3 years, it books up quick in my experience. This year is especially rough with the event starting on the 3rd, I ended up booking new years eve through the race week making it a long stay for Dopey. Getting in early lets you do the start date plus beating the majority trying for just the race days.

Checking the availability tool looks like SSR, OKW, AKL, WL are all open right now for a 1BR. I've waitlisted in the past on a resort swap after 7 months with no luck. I'd make alternate plans for now and be ready to jump at 7 months that way you aren't stressing. Also consider adding a few days on the front end to get in before those reserving just Fri/Sat/Sun.

Thanks for all of the feedback and good suggestions. We'll definitely pay attention to the 7 month window and be ready with some kind of direction. We want to stay Tues->Tues, and have the other days currently reserved.

One other question that I haven't found a good answer to. In previous years, when trying to figure out if we wanted to buy DVC, we reserved rooms through Disney for BLT and other DVC resorts and paid cash. If those types of rooms are available for part of the stay, can you merge that with a points reservation to create a single continuous reservation? (Now I'm sure I'm on the wrong board :offtopic: )

If those types of rooms are available for part of the stay, can you merge that with a points reservation to create a single continuous reservation?

Nope. You'll have two reservation numbers (or more depending on how availability is). Even with the exact same room type booked you *might* have to move rooms. (Request at front desk checkin that you keep the same room and check back)

Now I'm sure I'm on the wrong board :offtopic:

Doesn't really matter. Dvc members are everywhere. Forums can't contain us. But feel free to double-check on the proper board. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter