See....I told you - my opinion really isn't worth anything! :) Only reason I suggest different color bibs, is it would be easier for attendants to separate people trying run into a corral where they don't belong. I was in corral E, and not a single attendant asked to see my bib on the way in. I think there were just two attendants at the entrance and their heads were spinning in circles with all the people going/pushing by them. And, my number was 10187. Initially, I was placed in G, but runDisney didn't apply my POT correctly. They moved me up to E and I had a blue sticker with the letter E on it as proof I was reassigned. But again, no one even looked at my bib. So, that's how people jumped from corral to corral. I would think different color bibs would require just a glance from an attendant instead of having to read the numbers or other lettering while they were rushing in. Maybe more attendants would work? Maybe there's just too many participants to keep it organized? If people would just line up as their told, it would be easy. But, nowadays, cheating is the preferred method to get what you want.
You are always going to have people trying to jump ahead into corrals where they shouldn't be. Make the font bigger, change colors, whatever, it doesn't matter. I was in G and they were checking bibs just fine. This system has worked for them for a long time now and it seems to be working. I don't necessarily think more volunteers would work. I have never done Boston or any of the majors or anything so this is my largest organized race. There is always room for improvement but I don't think what you're suggesting would necessarily be an improvement. No race organization is perfect.

I got moved up at the Expo from H to D, and there were many other people in line with me who were making similar corral changes.

And let me add, it is extremely easy to change your corral. Although I came prepared with printouts of POT, they didn't even look at it. I just said "I'm looking for a corral change" and they asked "what is your estimated time of finish", and I said around 4:35 or so, and they just put a "D" sticker on my bib. I get that they want to go thru the line as quickly as possible, but it seemed almost too easy.

That was an extremely rare situation and was definitely not the case when I worked Runner Relations.

The 2018 marathon was my first runDisney event. My on opinion, which really isn't worth anything, is there should be two groups up front. First group should be elites. Second group should be "qualifiers" (as in Boston) or people who can prove they have the potential to finish in say 4:00 or less, that aren't in the elite group.

Both the elite and the qualifier groups, should have different bib colors than the rest of the runners, and there bib colors should different from each other. As for the rest of the field, corral placement should be based strictly on when you signed up. Aide from qualifiers there should be no POT submissions permitted. You sign up early, then you end up in Corral C. You sign up late, you end up in H. This way, people who are close to Boston qualification can't complain they got stuck behind people running a 6 hour pace, and lost their chance at qualifying. And in traditional fashion, Disney could set up an upcharge for people who want to pay their way to Corral C. Otherwise, everyone else is in the same pot. If using different color bibs to differentiate the elite and potential qualifiers from everyone else doesn't work, then I doubt any set up could be policed. One other thing race organizers could do is change the bib color for all corrals and not release the appearance of the bib until you go to pick up your packet. That way, someone can't photoshop or create their own bib at home with a different number on it and use that to move up into an earlier corral. Even this setup wouldn't stop people from hopping from corral t corral but different bib colors should help. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

As others have said - this is a terrible idea.

Nobody tries to BQ at Disney. It’s a lucky happenstance if they do, or they’re already damn close to a BQ and are in A to begin with.

You personally said you felt you were corralled wrongly, with no PoT, but in the end your actual Marathon finish time ended up being in line with where you were corralled.

Please stop trying to make mythic changes to a system to fit what you want it to be. Run more Disney races and you’ll understand why the process and thinking is in place.

The 2018 marathon was my first runDisney event. My on opinion, which really isn't worth anything, is there should be two groups up front. First group should be elites. Second group should be "qualifiers" (as in Boston) or people who can prove they have the potential to finish in say 4:00 or less, that aren't in the elite group.

Both the elite and the qualifier groups, should have different bib colors than the rest of the runners, and there bib colors should different from each other. As for the rest of the field, corral placement should be based strictly on when you signed up. Aide from qualifiers there should be no POT submissions permitted. You sign up early, then you end up in Corral C. You sign up late, you end up in H. This way, people who are close to Boston qualification can't complain they got stuck behind people running a 6 hour pace, and lost their chance at qualifying. And in traditional fashion, Disney could set up an upcharge for people who want to pay their way to Corral C. Otherwise, everyone else is in the same pot. If using different color bibs to differentiate the elite and potential qualifiers from everyone else doesn't work, then I doubt any set up could be policed. One other thing race organizers could do is change the bib color for all corrals and not release the appearance of the bib until you go to pick up your packet. That way, someone can't photoshop or create their own bib at home with a different number on it and use that to move up into an earlier corral. Even this setup wouldn't stop people from hopping from corral t corral but different bib colors should help. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Different bib colors is an interesting idea. I don't think there would be any harm in them trying it.

I don't understand why you would advocate near complete abandonment of corralling based on time, though. You would take a situation where people are already complaining about the mixing of faster and slower runners in the last couple of corrals and replacing it with a system that extends that situation to the vast majority of the corrals. It makes no sense.

As others have said - this is a terrible idea.

Nobody tries to BQ at Disney. It’s a lucky happenstance if they do, or they’re already damn close to a BQ and are in A to begin with.

You personally said you felt you were corralled wrongly, with no PoT, but in the end your actual Marathon finish time ended up being in line with where you were corralled.

Please stop trying to make mythic changes to a system to fit what you want it to be. Run more Disney races and you’ll understand why the process and thinking is in place.
I'm not trying to make any changes to the system at all. Others here complained about the system, and I just tried to offer up some ideas that may help their issues. What i it with the bitterness on this board? Why don't you take issue with the people that complained about the people hopping corrals, or better yet, the people that did the hopping? As for my finishing time, I stopped along the way for about 20 - 25 pictures and rest room breaks to the tune of about 45 minutes. I'll be back next year and so long as a POT system is still in place, and I'll be placed where my POT says I should be placed. And just like this year, where I finish in comparison to my starting position won't mean a thing other than I stopped off along the way for pictures, restroom breaks, and push ups for the drill sergeant on the hill.

Different bib colors is an interesting idea. I don't think there would be any harm in them trying it.

I don't understand why you would advocate near complete abandonment of corralling based on time, though. You would take a situation where people are already complaining about the mixing of faster and slower runners in the last couple of corrals and replacing it with a system that extends that situation to the vast majority of the corrals. It makes no sense.
Again, I'm not trying to abandon anything. I'm simply offering up some potential solutions to make all the people happy that were on here earlier complaining about the corral hoopers. My experience was great. Then again, I obey rules and regulations. I'll just sit in the background on this issue and watch the others complain. Obviously, this is a touchy issue for some.

I'm not trying to make any changes to the system at all. Others here complained about the system, and I just tried to offer up some ideas that may help their issues. What i it with the bitterness on this board? Why don't you take issue with the people that complained about the people hopping corrals, or better yet, the people that did the hopping? As for my finishing time, I stopped along the way for about 20 - 25 pictures and rest room breaks to the tune of about 45 minutes. I'll be back next year and so long as a POT system is still in place, and I'll be placed where my POT says I should be placed. And just like this year, where I finish in comparison to my starting position won't mean a thing other than I stopped off along the way for pictures, restroom breaks, and push ups for the drill sergeant on the hill.

You and one other person complained about corralling. They were able to get upgraded to a better corral and you finished exactly where you were supposed to finish - stops or not.

As for corral-jumpers - you haven’t been around here long, because my view on that and one person in particular is very clear.

Congrats on finishing your Marathon and good luck on your future goals.

Again, I'm not trying to abandon anything. I'm simply offering up some potential solutions to make all the people happy that were on here earlier complaining about the corral hoopers. My experience was great. Then again, I obey rules and regulations. I'll just sit in the background on this issue and watch the others complain. Obviously, this is a touchy issue for some.
It’s not a touchy issue really but there isn’t a good way to stop corral hopping. People who set out to do it are going to do it or at least try. You can set whatever rules and regulations you want but people still cheat the system. People don’t run the full course either, they’ll cut corners on out and backs and such.

I'm not trying to make any changes to the system at all. Others here complained about the system, and I just tried to offer up some ideas that may help their issues. What i it with the bitterness on this board?

I'm not sure what you're really trying to accomplish here. The changes that you have proposed would make an issue that is currently isolated to a corral or two much, much worse. I'd be very interested to hear exactly what issue you are "making better" with these suggestions.

As for "bitterness" on this board, I think you get out of it what you put into it. This group tends to be very well informed, willing to help and very supportive. Differing viewpoints are welcome and are debated and discussed openly. However, when someone who has openly complained about the proof of time system comes back after an event with a suggestion that would essentially eliminate that system and create vastly more chaos during the race itself, you can expect some pushback.

One last comment before I shut my trap. Disney already implements corral placement based on when you sign up for anyone who signs up after, or doesn't supply a POT by, October 3rd. So, you could be a potential 3:30 or 4:00 finisher and if you sign after 10/3 you can't provide a POT, and likely will get placed in one of the later corrals, if not the last. Does this system sound fair to the runners who could finish in 3:30 or 4:00? Nope. But that's the way it's set up and starting in Corral G or H apparently didn't deter some of those runners from finishing in the time they thought they could run. Like I said, I have no issues with the system, but for all the people who take issue with the corral hoppers, I say.....should we be surprised that people cheat their way to the front? After all, people cheat at the highest levels in the society we live in. It's a world of shortcuts.

One last comment before I shut my trap. Disney already implements corral placement based on when you sign up for anyone who signs up after, or doesn't supply a POT by, October 3rd. So, you could be a potential 3:30 or 4:00 finisher and if you sign after 10/3 you can't provide a POT, and likely will get placed in one of the later corrals, if not the last. Does this system sound fair to the runners who could finish in 3:30 or 4:00? Nope. But that's the way it's set up and starting in Corral G or H apparently didn't deter some of those runners from finishing in the time they thought they could run. Like I said, I have no issues with the system, but for all the people who take issue with the corral hoppers, I say.....should we be surprised that people cheat their way to the front? After all, people cheat at the highest levels in the society we live in. It's a world of shortcuts.
In order to go through 25,000 runners they need some sort of deadline so they can properly corral. runDisney explicitly states that you run the risk of being placed in the last corral if you do not submit a time or sign up after the POT deadline but you are allowed to submit a one time POT when signing up after the deadline.

Last edited:

Not true. If you register after the PoT cut off date, you're allowed to submit one when you enter. You can't go back and improve it later, but you do get to submit one at the time you sign up for the race.

Huh? Now you're just moving the goalposts. Your suggestions for helping combat corral hopping were acknowledged (at least by me) to be interesting and potentially worth a try.

However, in that same post you also proposed a near complete abandonment of the proof of time system, specifically proposing that everything from Corral C back should be a pace-independent free for all. That's where the pushback and disagreement is coming from and your statement that you're "not trying to abandon anything" is quite disingenuous and revisionist.

I’ve done many different races/race series, and in my opinion runDisney handles corral placement the best of all I’ve experienced. Is it perfect? Of course not, but I always feel safe and that the volunteers are doing their best to get everyone where they should be. I dropped back to run with DH during Dopey, and the same volunteer each day looked shocked and confirmed with me that I was indeed placing myself in a later corral. :rotfl2:

You said you you belonged in a corral better than the 5:30 mark, but had no PoT to prove that effort.

You finished in 6:29, which is a fact, due to whatever reasons (character stops, etc.).

What exactly do you want RunDisney to do to help SPECIFICALLY YOU, because that’s really what you care about. Don’t act like you care about others, when all you’ve done is complain about corralling and have taken up the mantel of the ONE other person that has gone along with your complaint.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I hope you're all having a great weekend and enjoying some awesome weather. ("Awesome" being relative, of course, it was 45 degrees here yesterday and I loved it.)

Anyway, onto this week's Sundays are for Disney question... What is something (attraction, show, menu item, literally anything!) that is no longer at Disney that you wish was still there?

I'm going to go for a couple of deep cuts and go with 1.) Mulch Sweat and Shears, the cover band that performed at Hollywood Studios we randomly saw one day several years ago and 2.) once upon a time, my wife ordered this pork belly sandwich (or something similar) at Liberty Tree Tavern and it was SO GOOD. I desperately wanted to try it again on a return visit, but the menu had changed.

Beyond that, I never got to see the Osborne Family Lights at Hollywood Studios, which I think would have been cool.

What is something (attraction, show, menu item, literally anything!) that is no longer at Disney that you wish was still there?

There are a lot of things and this isn't even everything...

Wasabi Shrimp Salad at California Grill
Empress Lily at Disney Springs
Adventurer's Club
Comedy Warehouse
Osburne Lights
Maelstrom
Miyuki
Earful Tower

I miss bascically all of Old Epcot... Horizons, World of Motion, Kitchen Kabarate.... Then there's River Country I miss too. Oh yes Maelstrom & the Earful Tower I miss after seeing @Dis_Yoda response.

I'm pretty sure we're in for the 2019 marathon maybe adding the 10k as well, I'm really glad registrations are later this year. We did Dopey in 2016 I'm really not compelled to do it again yet and Goofy while sounds fun I really liked having the marathon be standalone to race but with some stops.

I miss the animation drawing thing at Studios, Osborne lights and Malestrom.

Even though I never knew about it until it was closed, River Country seems like it would have been neat to visit.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I hope you're all having a great weekend and enjoying some awesome weather. ("Awesome" being relative, of course, it was 45 degrees here yesterday and I loved it.)

Anyway, onto this week's Sundays are for Disney question... What is something (attraction, show, menu item, literally anything!) that is no longer at Disney that you wish was still there?

I'm going to go for a couple of deep cuts and go with 1.) Mulch Sweat and Shears, the cover band that performed at Hollywood Studios we randomly saw one day several years ago and 2.) once upon a time, my wife ordered this pork belly sandwich (or something similar) at Liberty Tree Tavern and it was SO GOOD. I desperately wanted to try it again on a return visit, but the menu had changed.

Beyond that, I never got to see the Osborne Family Lights at Hollywood Studios, which I think would have been cool.

The thing that I miss the most by a very large margin is the clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl that you used to be able to get at Columbia Harbour House. Far and away one of my favorite things when I started going to Disney! The CHH clam chowder has been in constant decline in size and quality since they dropped the bread bowl.

I can't tell you how thrilled I was to find it at DL when I made my first trip there two years ago. It was fantastic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!