Marathon Weekend 2018

Done with my race video as well...enjoy

We left late, got caught in horrific traffic on marathon morning and never made it to corral A (had to start with B) but had an absolute blast with two great friends.

3:51 and change with an easy .50 mile over with all the goofing off

More fun over 26.2 miles then I'e ever had (4th Disney Marathon)

Thanks for sharing! I think you guys passed me somewhere between AK and MK. If not, I was passed by another group of 3 guys having a lot of fun.

This post may reflect a wisdom deficiency. This is probably the only audience that would appreciate it. I hope it provides some levity to your day. I hope.

Below is a Photopass picture taken during the half at the castle exit. The left side could be poster for RunDisney - two friends (sisters?), smiling, colorful attire (Anna and Elsa?), enjoying the run, arm in arm. The right side reflects something much different. What in the world is that old man thinking? Is he being chased? Is he falling over? He looks startled or disturbed.

Regardless, I probably ruined it for the girls. Maybe they can crop me out. I guess I need to be more conscientious and accommodating to others for key photopass locations.

How funny! I think you're improving the photo.

Anyone see anyone do anything really crazy or unique on course for the marathon (or half even)? I love hearing about the unique things people did since I'm too scared to break from running with just character stops so often, hahaha.

and here's my video, it's basically just course stuff & shaky but the army man at 7:36 is pretty good.

Last edited:

Anyone see anyone do anything really crazy or unique on course for the marathon (or half even)? I love hearing about the unique things people did since I'm too scared to break from running with just character stops so often, hahaha.

and here's my video, it's basically just course stuff & shaky but the army man at 7:36 is pretty good.

I enjoyed having the wild turkeys come out of the woods to spectate up close and personal during the marathon. Haven't seen that happen before!

I had a crazy lady on a ECV cut through the course in DHS. She literally could have seriously hurt someone.

I leap frogged with a guy in a full on heavy weight stitch suit, that I couldn't believe kept the thing on the whole time. I had to ask by the boardwalk how he wasn't dying of the heat. He said he felt great and that he was proud he kept the hood up the whole time too. I would have passed out. That was probably the most unique.

I did however encounter some things that put the nerves on edge. At mile 2 of the marathon there was a runner down surrounded by bike attendants. Appeared she tripped over a lane reflectors and went down hard by the conversation in passing. Then there was an ambulance headed into MK as I was headed out at mile 6. Left me with an eerie feeling for awhile.

+1 for wild turkey spectators - that was fun and unexpected!

On Osceola, I saw spectators on the wrong side of the road, standing in the moving traffic lane. A couple WDW buses came awfully close to taking them out.

Anyone see anyone do anything really crazy or unique on course for the marathon (or half even)?

I saw a woman take a hard fall approaching MK. She was either part of or got tangled up in a Galloway group. It was in a tight 'S' turn where it was hard to maintain your lane. I hope she was alright.

Other than that, I saw the usual craziness of runners cutting across the course at a 90 degree angle to either get to a restroom, photo stop, or mile marker. During the half, I collided with a small female runner cutting across the course. Luckily I was able to catch her before she went down. Neither one of us seemed worse for wear.

Anyone see anyone do anything really crazy or unique on course for the marathon (or half even)?
Nothing crazy or unique, but in the half I did see what appeared to be 3 runners cutting the cones on the hair-pin turnaround after mile 11 as you head up the ramp to mile 12 before entering Epcot. It was pretty obvious what they were doing. It's probably a savings of 50 - 60 yards if that, but it just irked me.

I leap frogged with a guy in a full on heavy weight stitch suit, that I couldn't believe kept the thing on the whole time. I had to ask by the boardwalk how he wasn't dying of the heat. He said he felt great and that he was proud he kept the hood up the whole time too. I would have passed out. That was probably the most unique.
I saw someone on course in like a full winter jacket and thick pants. I was thinking they had to be so hot inside. I was hot just in my long sleeve shirt.

Nothing crazy or unique, but in the half I did see what appeared to be 3 runners cutting the cones on the hair-pin turnaround after mile 11 as you head up the ramp to mile 12 before entering Epcot. It was pretty obvious what they were doing. It's probably a savings of 50 - 60 yards if that, but it just irked me.
I saw that too and was just like why?

Half of my marathon finish photos were with some guy's arm in front of my face. I have some great ones luckily but that bummed me out. It happens when there's so many people on the course.

I dropped my gloves in the middle of the TTC parking lot while swapping out layers. Had to duck outside the cones and run upstream trying to figure out where they were (my hands have real problems with cold, so there was no way I was finishing the marathon without them). I finally spotted them in the middle of the lane about 200 yards back, so I was one of those obnoxious people playing Frogger cutting across people to pick them up. Sorry to anyone I cut off!

I missed the 5k timing mat at the half marathon but luckily a nice lady yelled out and told my daughter that I had missed it. I was on the right side of the course so I went off the course and ran back and crossed the mat. What a bummer that would have been to miss! Thanks to the lady dressed as Nemo, whoever you are! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts