Marathon Weekend 2018

Okay experts, I need some timing advice. How long would you factor the following to take, yes, I know there are no guarantees just looking for a few ball parks to go along with my own ideas:

Magic Express to POP (if it matters flight arrives at 11:40am)
Check-in at POP
POP to Expo
I've never stayed at POP, hence why I don't trust my estimates.
I’d think anywhere from 35-60 minutes from DME to Pop. Depends on if you are the first or last stop or in the middle.

Check in your room might not be ready yet but they can hold your bags. I’d think 20ish minutes for that? Pop to expo shouldn’t be terrible 15-20 minutes maybe?

Okay experts, I need some timing advice. How long would you factor the following to take, yes, I know there are no guarantees just looking for a few ball parks to go along with my own ideas:

Check-in at POP
POP to Expo

My estimate would be 2-3 hours from landing to expo arrival. When I've timed in the past, I've measured it to be about 2 hours from landing, walking to MDE, boarding MDE, arriving at hotel, and checking in/dropping off bags. I'd add a little buffer for the expo trip. Thus, ~2-3 hours (1:40-2:40pm).

My estimate would be 2-3 hours from landing to expo arrival. When I've timed in the past, I've measured it to be about 2 hours from landing, walking to MDE, boarding MDE, arriving at hotel, and checking in/dropping off bags. I'd add a little buffer for the expo trip. Thus, ~2-3 hours (1:40-2:40pm).

I agree with this, and this is about the time that I have budgeted as I am doing the same thing (except from All Star and a few hours earlier :)).

Am I the only one considering doing the expo on day two? I am doing the half by itself, so I think there should still be swag on day 2 with potentially less crowding.

Am I the only one considering doing the expo on day two? I am doing the half by itself, so I think there should still be swag on day 2 with potentially less crowding.
If you’re doing the half going day two is perfectly fine. Day 1 is definitely the lag crowded because dopey and 5K racers have to go that day.

You won't be alone. We'll be going Friday, day 3, since we are only doing the marathon. We could go Thursday after we get in, but really just want to hit a park I think. Some stuff might be sold out like Dopey stuff or the ornament, but I bet they'll be half stuff still left for you on day 2.

I'm curious on that 25th anniversary figurine to see what it is, if they sell out oh well cause I didn't want to preorder, but hopefully some might be left.

Last edited:
Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great week. I’m getting this out early before I’m in the middle of nowhere in the woods for deer hunting.

Today’s question: focusing in on Magic Kingdom dark rides (stuff like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, etc.) which is your favorite?

My answer: I’m going to go with Haunted Mansion. It’s one of those classic attractions that has stood the test of time and is still a marvel in today’s world.

Last edited:
Answer to @rteetz question for today (short): Haunted Mansion

Answer to @rteetz question for today (long): In August, 1974, my best High School buddy invited me to vacation with his family and stay with his grandparents who lived in Melbourne. We were both on the golf team and crazy passionate about the sport. The trip promised the opportunity to hideously indulge in our passion. My friend's grandfather had set aside a day for the family to experience the Magic Kingdom and he paid for almost everything. Even so, I was less than grateful and remember thinking that this was just a wasted opportunity to play golf. I had expectations that this was going to be like Kings Island or LeSourdsville Lake which were the two amusement parks nearest to Dayton, Ohio. One of the key magical events that occurred that changed my attitude and perspective was the Haunted Mansion.

With the limited number of E-tickets sold in the ticket books, we were selective in using them. We approached the Haunted Mansion and I remember having some hesitation, not because of fear but because I had the idea that this was going to be nothing more than one of the frighten-you-with-fake-blood and/or jump-out-from-hiding-and-scream-at-you fests that popped-up during Halloween or at the summer county fairs in Ohio. The magic first started to work on me in the stretching room. Its effectiveness increased as the Doombuggies paraded past ghosts having a party in a ballroom, statues that sang Grim Grinning Ghosts, and Madame Leota. I think the deal was sealed when we picked up a Ghost Hitchhiker. And at the end, when Little Leota invited us to "Hurry Back" we did just that and rode again without hesitation and with much anticipation.

Last edited:
Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great week. I’m getting this out early before I’m in the middle of nowhere in the woods for deer hunting.

Today’s question: focusing in on Magic Kingdom dark rides (stuff like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, etc.) which is your favorite?

My answer: I’m going to go with Haunted Mansion. It’s one of those classic attractions that has stood the rest of time and is still a marvel in today’s world.

Haunted Mansion always and forever! I've been to WDW enough that I take in rides and attractions much differently these days. The ones I enjoy I've done so many times that it's not imperative that I hit them every trip. The Haunted Mansion is the exception to that. It's the one "must do" ride on every trip.

Hmmmm, Tough call, Pirates & Haunted Mansion & Peter Pan all tie for my favorite MK dark rides as in I must ride them at least a few times a trip, the more the better.

Is it really just 7 weeks till the marathon?!?! I mean I could run it now, but it just feels like time is trucking fast. I have a few little nagging injury things though that need to heal/go away & still need to paint on my outfit!

Check-in at POP
POP to Expo

I’ve been trying to do the same math because I’m thinking about doing this trip without a rental car. One thing that might help is remote check in. That way you could skip the front desk. You don’t have to worry about your bag because DME is delivering it to your room. Second, and this is one of those gray areas, you could not ride DME and go straight to the expo. Your bag still gets delivered. Now technically you’re not supposed to do that, but from what I’ve been reading Disney does not police this. Of course you have to get transportation to the expo via taxi/Uber/Lyft but if you’re on a schedule then it could be an option to look into.

I’ve been trying to do the same math because I’m thinking about doing this trip without a rental car. One thing that might help is remote check in. That way you could skip the front desk. You don’t have to worry about your bag because DME is delivering it to your room. Second, and this is one of those gray areas, you could not ride DME and go straight to the expo. Your bag still gets delivered. Now technically you’re not supposed to do that, but from what I’ve been reading Disney does not police this. Of course you have to get transportation to the expo via taxi/Uber/Lyft but if you’re on a schedule then it could be an option to look into.
Disney definitely doesn’t police it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter