Marathon Weekend 2018

Okay whoever finds the other side of the spinner for the full wins a prize.Its kind of a big deal,the retro Mickey and current Mickey of the 2013 medal is why its my favorite so just showing us one side is just leaving us hanging and waiting.I like the matte look of the silver mickey head,I prefer a matte finish to a bright glossy one,that's also why another one of my favorite medals is the 2016 inaugural Dark Side half medal,that's as far away from a glossy finish as it gets.

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing

It was all started by a mouse.

https://www.mousekeplanner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/level5cover.jpg

Looking at the medals, I think the main issue with me is how many details seem so disjoint between them.

Mickey is in each medal, except for Dopey.

The dates for the 1/2 and full are at the bottom ring of the medal. The date for the 5k is at the top, and the 10k is in the design plate?

The words "Walt Disney World" are on the collar on the 10k, 1/2, full, Goofy and Dopey. It's on the bottom ring of the 5k, which also has virtually no collar.

Goofy is not a circle, or even close.

I can keep going, but you get the point. It's like those cooking competitions, where the chefs get the same starting batch of ingredients, but they all come up with something different from each other. These medals are the same. It's like 6 different teams came up with them, and they collaborated very little with each other.

I'd love to see better cohesion between the medals.

If you're looking for cohesion, you obviously didn't look at this year's medals ... these are the most fitting of a cohesive collection that I've seen in a while. Lots of similar elements - all silver, features glitter, the olive branches, a hidden starburst. Honestly, Dopey should have nothing but Dopey on it ... I'm actually surprised that Mickey is on the Goofy medal, but then again - it IS the anniversary of the Marathon.

I really like the medals! Makes me wish I was running the 10K!

My husband is happy with the Marathon medal!

I know, I'm so tired of the 'I did it' everywhere. But DW had a theory that the other side of the spinner says "If you can dream it..." If true, that would make it awesome.
That would be ideal. Give me that.

I have no say in the matter since I'm not running any of these races...so of course I'm here anyways to weigh in.
I love that mickey is on almost every medal!!! Give me all the mickeys!!!

And now I'll slink away...
Come back. Can I get a more detailed opinion of the 10k medal?

This was my first thought as well. Of course I can do it, I just did it!
Yes. That's how I felt. I really hope the other side is "If you can dream it..."

Dopey: White
Please no. Literally any color but white.

Goofy is not a circle, or even close.
I feel like this accurately summarizes why some dislike the Goofy medal.

They should make one Dopey medal have real diamonds and then put them in with all of the medals and some random Dopey runner will end up with it.
So, I unfortunately have waited to the last minute with booking a hotel for Marathon Weekend. As of right now, all of the values are sold out. The only two moderates available are Coronado and Caribbean beach.

Since it's only me going, I was hoping to get a room at Pop like last year. Am I out of luck, or is it possible more rooms could open up?

Hang in there. Just this morning I booked the one night at Pop that I was missing. And that might be a strategy (if your wallet can handle it). Book individual nights, and keep checking to see if the missing nights open .

Another strategy.....bribe me. ;) I am double booked at Pop and POR, waiting to see what the discounts might be. POR will be the one I keep if the discount is decent.

Come back. Can I get a more detailed opinion of the 10k medal?
I very much enjoy the 10k medal because:
A) Minnie Mouse
B) It appears that Mickey may be starting the race in the wrong direction and Minnie is all like "this sucker, man I'mma beat him"
C) glitter stars
D) the neck ribbon may have polka dots on it
E) Minnie Mouse

I'll try to contain my envy while y'all can be jealous that in a month I will be earning a medal that has both Mickey Mouse and a rando Turkey on it (the most coveted of rare disney characters!)

Following a knockout at 16 seconds into the first round. Your Winner...and still undefeated and undisputed Champion of the World, the 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon Medal.

That IS a great medal and I'm glad I have it, but my favorite Disney medal in my collection is probably still my 2013 Tower of Terror 10-Miler medal, featuring the Hollywood Tower Hotel with glow-in-the-dark windows and moving elevator! The fact that this race is now dead only adds to the charm.

They should make one Dopey medal have real diamonds and then put them in with all of the medals and some random Dopey runner will end up with it.

It's the 40th anniversary of the Richmond Marathon this year, and all the medals will feature a faux-ruby except one, which will feature a real ruby! Apparently, it will be randomly distributed to one lucky finisher - which could be me! :D

That IS a great medal and I'm glad I have it, but my favorite Disney medal in my collection is probably still my 2013 Tower of Terror 10-Miler medal, featuring the Hollywood Tower Hotel with glow-in-the-dark windows and moving elevator! The fact that this race is now dead only adds to the charm.

They have made a lot of great medals over the years and there are many of them that I wish I had been able to run the races because the bling was/is so cool. I don't particularly remember that one but I'm sure it's awesome. I hope they bring back that race or something similar in the future.

The 20th Anniversary Medal still has a different look and feel to it for me; in some way it was clear that it was "special." I was expecting the same thing from the 25th Anniversary Medal and it just looks like any other Marathon Weekend Medal. I guess my boxing analogy was a nod to how it turned out not even to really be a contest in my mind.

I'm still sad that race is gone and I never got a chance to run it. :(

But DW had a theory that the other side of the spinner says "If you can dream it..." If true, that would make it awesome

Genius! Please let this be true! It would match my medal hanger :tiptoe:

It's easy to make comparisons to the 2013 20th anniversary marathon medal - my first marathon and still my most favorite medal ever - but I'm kind of glad they didn't top that one because it is so special to me.

I'm still sad that race is gone and I never got a chance to run it. :(

Yeah, it was definitely a unique event, and you're not alone in missing it. It was a rare evening race, and the villain theming was also very cool. Also, the 2013 female winner was from my town, which was also neat. On the down side, it was the only Disney event where I've seen massive course-cutting. On the parkway section going out to Animal Kingdom, I witnessed probably 100+ runners cut miles off the course by running across the median. :sad2: Hopefully they didn't affect any of the awards with that behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!