Marathon Weekend 2018

I love that Marathon medal!! I think it's a cute theme that Mickey is present on all of them. Not sure about Dopey yet, will need to see it in person..it's very SDMT.

YES! I think I am almost more excited to see the shirts than the medals...is there anything we can read into the potential design based on the look of the medals?

I was thinking the same, but it's hard to decipher with the medal and lanyard colors. I can tell you that for the 1/2, going back to 2012 the pattern has been Royal Blue [12], Yellow [13], Navy [14], Red [15], Royal [16] and Yellow [17]. So, if the pattern follows it looks like Navy for the 1/2 although I would like to see some green.....

- Marathon:I think this may be my least favorite. I feel like the full color Mickey with the 'You Can Do It' is a little much. Of course I can do it Mickey. I just ran 26.2 miles to earn the medal saying I can.
This was my first thought as well. Of course I can do it, I just did it!

I know, I'm so tired of the 'I did it' everywhere. But DW had a theory that the other side of the spinner says "If you can dream it..." If true, that would make it awesome.
I hope your wife is right. That would make the whole thing less silly.

YES! I think I am almost more excited to see the shirts than the medals...is there anything we can read into the potential design based on the look of the medals?

I'm usually more excited to see the shirts. i do enjoy collecting the medals and I proudly display the bling. But I wear the shirts a lot and smile every time I wear one of my Rundisney shirts....even the ones with the more primitive designs (i.e., this years tink and dark side shirts).

And now the wait for the design and color of the race shirts!

The shirts need something new and different,some new colors, a white shirt,unique designs,something!!It seems like a lot of the shirts look the same lately,I was saying the same thing about the medals about two years ago and I feel they've done a good job with the majority of the medals lately.I'm doing the full and I really like the full medal,I'm still sticking with the 20th anniversary medal as my favorite but I like this one.

Wow, I've been so focused on getting everything up in my journal from my trip last weekend that I didn't see this until five minutes ago (and I think I found this board in a quest to find medal pictures a few years ago, so I'm a little ridiculous with the whole medals thing).

Anyway, I think I was a little too excited for them because I'm pretty underwhelmed. My takeaways:

-I love Mickey being on all of the medals because I feel like it's an additional nod to this being the 25th Marathon. All of the medals are 25th Anniversary Medals in that way.
-They look...cheap-ish. Well, the matte silver on the Half and Full medals are leaving me with that impression. I know they are being mass-produced at cost, but I like my suspension of disbelief.
-Goofy is atrocious. You should be trying to make people forget last year's Half medal RunDisney, not doubling down. Okay, maybe that's harsh; I just don't understand why they seem to go out of their way to have continuity on the medals and have one semi-ridiculous outlier.
-Dopey is the best they've done so far for that series. I'm optimistic that it will look cool in-person.
-The ribbons all look super fab. A+ work by the ribbon design team.
-Following a knockout at 16 seconds into the first round. Your Winner...and still undefeated and undisputed Champion of the World, the 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon Medal.

I'm still stoked to add them all to the collection in January. I guess they could've done worse and I'm sure they'll grow on me; my expectations were too high.

I love that the medals feature that "vine" detail similar to what you see on Olympic medals/merch ... I'm sure it has a more appropriate name, but that's what it looks like to me.

If the shirts are classic with the characters crossing a finish line with clean type and good colors (nothing funky like neons and stuff), these will easily be my favorite shirts.

Anyway ... Disney may have more options since Champion is a "big-name" sponsor of race weekends, but these are the colors that Champion is offering the Double Dry shirt (which is what they give out as race shirts) in long-sleeve for 2017 -- this link is the wholesaler I buy all of my blanks from for my shirt-making:

https://www.bigtopshirtshop.com/col...interlock-crewneck-long-sleeve-t-shirt-cw26-a

Women's are offered in the same colors, as well as a bubblegum pink.

ETA: My guesses, based on medals:

5K: :confused3
10K: Red
Half: Royal Blue
Marathon: Silver
Goofy: Black
Dopey: White

Last edited:
Okay whoever finds the other side of the spinner for the full wins a prize.Its kind of a big deal,the retro Mickey and current Mickey of the 2013 medal is why its my favorite so just showing us one side is just leaving us hanging and waiting.I like the matte look of the silver mickey head,I prefer a matte finish to a bright glossy one,that's also why another one of my favorite medals is the 2016 inaugural Dark Side half medal,that's as far away from a glossy finish as it gets.

Okay whoever finds the other side of the spinner for the full wins a prize.Its kind of a big deal,the retro Mickey and current Mickey of the 2013 medal is why its my favorite so just showing us one side is just leaving us hanging and waiting.I like the matte look of the silver mickey head,I prefer a matte finish to a bright glossy one,that's also why another one of my favorite medals is the 2016 inaugural Dark Side half medal,that's as far away from a glossy finish as it gets.

If we don't see it this weekend at Disneyland Paris, I bet we see it at Chicago Marathon! That's where my bestie sent me pictures of Bath Salts Dopey last year!!

They should make one Dopey medal have real diamonds and then put them in with all of the medals and some random Dopey runner will end up with it.

They should make one Dopey medal have real diamonds and then put them in with all of the medals and some random Dopey runner will end up with it.

But would someone cannibalize their medal for the jewels??

++++++++++++++

I would also like to point out that this EXACT medal is what @Z-Knight mentioned the Dopey medal should look like back for ... 2016? Yeah, I'm going to go with 2016 because that date feels right ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts