Marathon Weekend 2018

I might have been under a rock but...just noticed Expo times are listed on the runDisney site for our weekend

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - Noon - 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, January 4, 2018 - 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, January 5, 2018 - 9:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 6, 2018 - 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Walt Disney World® Resort, Florida Location: ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex

-----------------

Noon‽ Who so late? I want to be in the parks, not scuttling around the expo at that time. Couldn't you make it 9:30 or 10 like the rest of the days?

@courtneybeth , I think I'm going to have to buy Platinum now just to get into the expo early.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - Noon - 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, January 4, 2018 - 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, January 5, 2018 - 9:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 6, 2018 - 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Walt Disney World® Resort, Florida Location: ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex

-----------------

Noon‽ Who so late? I want to be in the parks, not scuttling around the expo at that time. Couldn't you make it 9:30 or 10 like the rest of the days?

@courtneybeth , I think I'm going to have to buy Platinum now just to get into the expo early.
It's noon because they allow the race retreat guests in from 10-12.

\
I'm heading to the parks FIRST! I'll do the Expo later, like right before dinner, so I can get back to the park for a little night time touring :)

Agreed...our plans are to eat lunch in MK then head to Expo with DD3 since she's running the 10K with me. Then return our stuff to resort and grab some lounge snacks before heading back out.

I hope everyone had a great week!

It is Sunday and Sundays are for Disney!

Today's question:

Now that we are settled down from all the Disney announcements last week which one are you most excited for and why?

My answer: I think I'm most excited for Tron and the new Magic Kingdom theater. It gives MK more capacity to spread out crowds and they are two great additions IMO.

I'm pretty stoked for the TRON coaster, Mickey ride, the space restaurant at Epcot and the fact that Epcot will be getting a lot of attention in the coming years.

I'm most excited for the new DVC resort ... I've been wanting to buy a direct contract from Disney (I'm hopefully closing on a resale contract this week!), but I didn't want Poly, Aulani or the new Wilderness Lodge area. We spend almost all of our time at Epcot and DHS, so Rivera would be a perfect fit for us!

Sunday question-

I am most excited for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, and Disney Skyway.

I was excited by all of the recent announcements, but classic Disney is what I go for, so I am pleased about those additions.

While I may border upsetting a few folks, I'm really thrilled that big changes are coming to WDW parks. I do lack patience for some outdated attractions (that not many people use), and feel that some changes are long overdue. I think this mentality really comes from a perspective of living far away, and the high cost of visiting WDW.

While I've never been a Universal "fan", it has been noticeable that something is always new there over the last 3 visits, whereas that has not been the case at WDW.

Happy Sunday!

I hope everyone had a great week!

Today's question:

Now that we are settled down from all the Disney announcements last week which one are you most excited for and why?

I for one am looking forward to the Epcot changes. They might not be as impactful as the other changes, but the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ratatouille attractions will help upgrade Epcot. I'm also hoping for some other minor tweaks and additions to what was announced this year.

Sunday question-

I am most excited for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, and Disney Skyway.

I was excited by all of the recent announcements, but classic Disney is what I go for, so I am pleased about those additions.

While I may border upsetting a few folks, I'm really thrilled that big changes are coming to WDW parks. I do lack patience for some outdated attractions (that not many people use), and feel that some changes are long overdue. I think this mentality really comes from a perspective of living far away, and the high cost of visiting WDW.

While I've never been a Universal "fan", it has been noticeable that something is always new there over the last 3 visits, whereas that has not been the case at WDW.

Happy Sunday!

Thank Universal that they're actually giving Disney serious competition as that's the reason why Disney is building all these new attractions,it took them a while to " get it" but they finally realized they had to spend the money.Now I'm just sitting back and waiting for Universals response which we know will be the third real theme park in that land over by the Orlando eye.

Well, #&@%! According to runDisney's website, regarding early access to the Expo:

https://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/#chear-squad

*** Guests who purchased Platinum ChEAR Squad will not have early access to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo.

I guess rD did this to prevent someone from paying $120 for one day of ChEAR Squad Platinum and sweeping in, buying all the merch before anyone else has a chance, but it kinda hurts that she can walk in at 10 am to get her stuff, but I have to wait until noon.

This may push me to not wanting to purchase either ChEAR Squad at all, nor the Race Retreat.

Husband planned on waiting in the car while I shopped then was going to join me in picking up bibs together. He said doing the 5k and 10k so... gold it is.

My girlfriend and I have no real plans to shop in the expo. We'll find most of the non-Disney specific merch at the expos here in Philly, and for whatever else we need, we'll probably order it online before coming to Florida. Most of the Disney specific stuff we want we'll probably preorder.

Were you planning on buying the Race Retreat? I think the only real benefit left to Platinum is the non-Marathoners being able to go into the RR tent after 5:30.

I had to find a list of the announcements - so many - to remember what I was most excited about. I think I'd go with Ratatouille just because I like the idea of there being things to do in the pavilions beside eat or shop. I know some people don't like putting a movie based ride in the countries but at least it's something. Also a new movie in China is pretty cool. I really like those in the countries.

That was a chief complaint among the younger crowds. They actually didn't get some of the older movies in the ride. The ride really needed to be updated every 10 years or so.

The younger crowds not getting the movies is a them problem. :) I'm teasing but just because they don't recognize the movies doesn't make the scenes interesting. Some needed to be switched out - like maybe Alien for instance but some of the animatronics on that ride are awesome and it will be sad to lose them. Flip side though is Mickey and Minnie getting their own ride so that's pretty cool.

Sundays are for Disney: It's hard for me to pick one thing because they all sound pretty amazing. I'm so happy Disney is really going all in to adding things to the parks. If I have to pick one thing, I'd probably say the GoG ride. I really do love GoG and while I'm not sure how well it will fit in Epcot, I'm hoping it will be awesome anyway.

So Marathoners...if your loved one met you midway at AK...what would you want/need from them?

Question two: Is a LO allowed to "run" with a runner while in an open park?

Felis..not the only one getting the bad ideas out :P

I saw a runner in my last half meet their hubby and she traded off her glasses for sunglasses. If the timing is right, maybe sunglasses?

So Marathoners...if your loved one met you midway at AK...what would you want/need from them?

Question two: Is a LO allowed to "run" with a runner while in an open park?
1. Some extra of my fuel of choice - just in case I lost any between the start and AK. A really funny/clever sign!
2. Technically, no. But it's kind of possible, if both are willing to walk, not run. A friend met me at EP at the end of the full this year - I pulled way over next to the cones marking the race course and she stayed just to the other side of them, and we walked together for most of WS.

Changing clothes and especially shoes during a race is a terrible idea, honestly. Not only do you risk additional chafing - but she's easily going to lose a minimum of 10 minutes in Animal Kingdom between waiting for a bathroom and changing clothes.
(Bolding is mine) THIS!!! ^ AK is not the place to lose time - especially for someone who may be concerned with falling behind pace. The wheels can come off much later in the race, but if you've run strong through the first half/three quarters, you have some buffer to take stretch breaks, do more walking, take an extra restroom break, etc. If she loses a bunch of time changing clothes that early, she won't have any buffer later, when things get really tough.

Honestly, I don't understand the changing clothes thing; I've never heard of that! If the race starts cold and warms up, she may want to ditch layers, so it would be convenient for her to leave those items with you, but a complete change? Nope, not a good idea.

Today's question:

My answer: I think I'm most excited for Tron and the new Magic Kingdom theater. It gives MK more capacity to spread out crowds and they are two great additions IMO.
+1 for TronTronTronTronTronTRON!!!!!!!! And a close runner-up for Ratatouille. I'll never in my life be able to afford the Star Wars hotel, so I'm just pretending it won't ever exist. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter