Mammogram Results-I'm losing it at work, please help me.(Update!!, Pg.6, #83)

devotedchristian

DIS Veteran
I had my mammogram last Wednesday at Kaiser. I've been worrying myself sick since then. I finally called the Radiology department to see if my results were in.

They were.

The scheduler transferred me to the Advice Nurse who gave me the bad news.

She said the "Breast Scheduling Team" will be sending me a letter saying they recommend I come back for another mammogram and possibly and ultrasound on my right breast...something about my nodule.

My mother died of breast cancer 2 years ago so now it looks like it has happened to me.

I called the number she gave me and it was a Kaiser Breast Health Line and to leave a message as they monitor the line all day. I am trying to get an appointment in today to do the test.

I'm so scared. I've been reading about women having breast cancer left and right.

My questions are, if I am in Stage 1, how long do I have to live?

My back has been hurting, but I've chalked that up to bending over alot picking up DS(6) out of the bath tub. Does that mean the cancer has spread to my back?

I've had no other symptons. I had an eye exam last Saturday and it came back with Astigmatism. If the cancer had spread there, would they able to tell?

How long do I have to live?

I'm at work, crying and losing my mind. I'm also angry because why did they not call me? Why send me a letter? :mad::mad:

Had I not called, I would not have known. I'm so ANGRY at Kaiser. Now, I have to go back for further testing.

Please help!!

I had to go in for more mammograms and even biopsies and they turned out fine. I understand the fear but don't jump to conclusions. And very likely whatever your condition, you have plenty of time left to live. :hug:

Someone should have called you, I agree.

Whoa!!! Hold on now, you are getting ahead of yourself.

I have had the "bad" mammogram call before. I've had 4 benign nodules in my lifetime. Each surgically removed. Not fun, but not cancer.

I will tell you that of the women I have known who have had breast cancer, they got "emergency" type call ins pretty much same day.

The waiting is awful and it's very hard not to assume the worst, but DO realize that it could just be a benign condition or even a mistake. My co-worker's wife got a call back last week and had the ultrasound. Turns out there was nothing there.

I had my mammogram last Wednesday at Kaiser. I've been worrying myself sick since then. I finally called the Radiology department to see if my results were in.

They were.

The scheduler transferred me to the Advice Nurse who gave me the bad news.

She said the "Breast Scheduling Team" will be sending me a letter saying they recommend I come back for another mammogram and possibly and ultrasound on my right breast...something about my nodule.

My mother died of breast cancer 2 years ago so now it looks like it has happened to me.

I called the number she gave me and it was a Kaiser Breast Health Line and to leave a message as they monitor the line all day. I am trying to get an appointment in today to do the test.

I'm so scared. I've been reading about women having breast cancer left and right.

My questions are, if I am in Stage 1, how long do I have to live?

My back has been hurting, but I've chalked that up to bending over alot picking up DS(6) out of the bath tub. Does that mean the cancer has spread to my back?

I've had no other symptons. I had an eye exam last Saturday and it came back with Astigmatism. If the cancer had spread there, would they able to tell?

How long do I have to live?

I'm at work, crying and losing my mind. I'm also angry because why did they not call me? Why send me a letter? :mad::mad:

Had I not called, I would not have known. I'm so ANGRY at Kaiser. Now, I have to go back for further testing.

Please help!!

I think the fact that they sent a letter is a good thing. To me that says they don't think it is anything serious but they just want to get a better look to be sure. If it were bad they would have called you and booked you a follow up appointment ASAP.

Gosh my dear I am so sorry. Try not to let your thoughts get ahead of where you are. Take a deep breath. You are doing everything right...you went for the test!!

I don't know why they didn't call you.

Deep breaths. Survival rate is great when you catch it early and you don't even know if you have it.

You will be just fine.

Can you leave work and go home? what about taking a long lunch?

We are all here for you. Stay positive. Hugs to you.

I wouldn't wait. Call and ask to speak to a doctor. Ask exactly what is going on. Show up at the place for your next procedure to schedule if it will help you to be an advocate for yourself. But you need information right now. And the doctor can tell you exactly what they found and how concerned he/she is. This information is what you need to get you through TODAY.

Just had this same thing happen a few months ago. Went to a new facility, brought my old mammos. They called me back and said they saw something in both breasts and I needed to schedule another mammo and ultrasound ASAP. Went back it was nothing, in either breast, and no need for the ultrasound. I won't tell you not to worry, because you will. Just know that there are numerous women who have had the same thing happen, and it turned out fine.

And the best advice I received -- DON'T GOOGLE ANYTHING. DON'T SEARCH THE INTERNET. You'll drive yourself crazy with worry.

Hugs and prayers being sent.

:goodvibes

I don't like the way some systems work in regards to testing, so I agree with you about the letter thing.

As to having to return for more tests, keep your head up. My DW always tells me not to stress out about something that isn't 100% positive.

Case in point, I had some problems that I went to see a doctor for. The end result was the colon cancer was a very distinct possibility. I was a terrible mess as I couldn't get a colonoscopy for a week! With a small child it only made things worse.

The end result was that I was okay, the extra test showed nothing more than a really bad infection, and I had worried myself sick over nothing.

Go get your tests and be sure that they are only doing them so that they CAN help you! We'll keep you in our prayers!

Don't freak out hon! Take a deep breath. The very fact that they sent you a letter IS a good sign. That just means they will probably want to check something suspicious. My mother has had that happen NUMEROUS times to her. Many, many women who have breast cancer live healthy and normal lives after. My MIL had breast cancer years ago and is perfectly ok. The worst thing you can do is go to doomsday scenarious. Stress is very damaging and can make you feel and do worse. *hugs

I think the fact that they sent a letter is a good thing. To me that says they don't think it is anything serious but they just want to get a better look to be sure. If it were bad they would have called you and booked you a follow up appointment ASAP.

Yep! A radiologist pretty much knows when something looks definitively "bad." They don't send letters for that.

Thinking and praying for you. :hug:

We just went through this. My dear MIL (who I love like my own mom) was diagnosed with Stage III Breast Cancer last March. She, like you, was terrified.

However, I'm thrilled to say that she is now cancer free! So even if your test results are "the worst," it's definitely treatable.

And, at this point, you don't know anything for sure. I know that waiting is agonizing, just try to stay calm and take this one day/test/procedure at a time.

Much easier said than done, I know. But please know that I'll be praying for you and sending you lots of positive thoughts and hugs.

I can't tell you the number of people I know who've had to go back, and it's been nothing. I agree with PP - if they thought it was serious, they would've called you. I had a bad lung xray once, and my doctor called me that afternoon.

I also have known many women who have had breast cancer, and they all overcame it, and are living cancer free. Please don't assume the worst.

I wouldn't wait. Call and ask to speak to a doctor. Ask exactly what is going on. Show up at the place for your next procedure to schedule if it will help you to be an advocate for yourself. But you need information right now. And the doctor can tell you exactly what they found and how concerned he/she is. This information is what you need to get you through TODAY.

I don't even know where it is! All I have is some phone number that is nothing but a hotline where they monitor the calls.

All I know is it is the Kaiser Breast Center Hotline. And you have to go through so many prompts to get a Live person.

I'm trying my best to calm down.

Thinking and praying for you. :hug:

We just went through this. My dear MIL (who I love like my own mom) was diagnosed with Stage III Breast Cancer last March. She, like you, was terrified.

However, I'm thrilled to say that she is now cancer free! So even if your test results are "the worst," it's definitely treatable.

And, at this point, you don't know anything for sure. I know that waiting is agonizing, just try to stay calm and take this one day/test/procedure at a time.

Much easier said than done, I know. But please know that I'll be praying for you and sending you lots of positive thoughts and hugs.

Oh my goodness, what were her symptoms?

FWIW, I received a phone call and a follow-up letter. Still turned out to be nothing. We're all with you OP, hang in there.

Try not to worry so bad, I went thru this same thing just last week. I had 2 problems on the left breast and a nodule on the right. Left turned out fine with more pictures, I did have an ultrasound on the right for the nodule, It is only a cyst, they said the cyst is so small I would never find it in a self exam. I was also very worried, like you I lost my mother to breast cancer. Is this your first digital mammogram? Lots have to go back for more pics after their first digital mammogram as it picks up so much more. They also told me that with age breast tissue changes, so any changes they see between an old mamo and a new digital one they will call you back.

Call backs from mammograms are very, very, very common. As others have said, the fact that they were sending a letter rather than calling is actually very good news - it means that they aren't worried.

Call backs are especially common when it is your first mammogram at a given centre (since they don't have an old version, using the same machinery, to compare it to).

I know it is easier said than done, but do not go down the path of "my back hurts, it must be metastatic cancer".

Just had this same thing happen a few months ago. Went to a new facility, brought my old mammos. They called me back and said they saw something in both breasts and I needed to schedule another mammo and ultrasound ASAP. Went back it was nothing, in either breast, and no need for the ultrasound. I won't tell you not to worry, because you will. Just know that there are numerous women who have had the same thing happen, and it turned out fine.

And the best advice I received -- DON'T GOOGLE ANYTHING. DON'T SEARCH THE INTERNET. You'll drive yourself crazy with worry.

Hugs and prayers being sent.

Thank you so much, I need to hear this. I have a little back pain and am now thinking it's cancer.

Whoa there, OP. Take a deep breath. Many, many people have to have follow-up tests after a mammogram and it turns out to be nothing. Waiting is the worst part, but don't go assuming the worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts