Mama Melrose - Very Dissapointed!!!

We haven't eaten there in years and were quite surprised it was still open (as we thought with all the changes that it was closed). We recently read on the boards that it was still open and still offered the Fantasmic! Package. We were going to select for the upcoming January trip. Guess we should rethink that ressie.

I had a meal there in October and it was very good. If you look reviews for any Disney restaurant there will be bad ones.

We haven't eaten there in years and were quite surprised it was still open (as we thought with all the changes that it was closed). We recently read on the boards that it was still open and still offered the Fantasmic! Package. We were going to select for the upcoming January trip. Guess we should rethink that ressie.

Although my family did not enjoy the food there, others do. Some say it is "hit or miss," which I can understand with the waiters, but the food is either good or it isn't. I guess it depends on what people are used to eating. Some people have fussier taste buds, and other people will eat whatever is put in front of them. I think your best bet is to go on other sites and read the reviews. A site that I like to use a lot gave it 3.5 stars out of 5. Don't rely on just a few opinions. If you are unsure, just do a bit more research elsewhere to help you decide.

Although my family did not enjoy the food there, others do. Some say it is "hit or miss," which I can understand with the waiters, but the food is either good or it isn't. I guess it depends on what people are used to eating. Some people have fussier taste buds, and other people will eat whatever is put in front of them. I think your best bet is to go on other sites and read the reviews. A site that I like to use a lot gave it 3.5 stars out of 5. Don't rely on just a few opinions. If you are unsure, just do a bit more research elsewhere to help you decide.

Wow, really? I find your post pretty insulting. I definitely won't eat just whatever is put in front of me. I have actually gone hungry at the Disney Studios instead of eating before. I'd much rather eat at Epcot. Having said that I found my pasta to be tasty during my meal at MM last year.

The thing with restaurant reviews is, you will find good and bad for every single restaurant on the planet. The only way to truly know if you will like something or not is to try it for yourself.

Wow, really? I find your post pretty insulting. I definitely won't eat just whatever is put in front of me. I have actually gone hungry at the Disney Studios instead of eating before. I'd much rather eat at Epcot. Having said that I found my pasta to be tasty during my meal at MM last year.

The thing with restaurant reviews is, you will find good and bad for every single restaurant on the planet. The only way to truly know if you will like something or not is to try it for yourself.
Insulting you or anyone else was never my intention. I apologize if my comments made you feel that way.

We all have different preferences. Isn't that what makes the world go around?

Honestly, I think it is awesome that we don't all like the same things. If that were the case, we would All choose the same meal at the same restaurant...the lines would be going out the door and around the corner, and we would never get to eat there. WDW provides variety for a variety of palettes. We should celebrate our diversity of tastes and preferences.

WDW is the happiest place on earth...I choose to seek happiness and positivity...which is why I thought spending the next year planning with the help of the DIS would enhance that happiness.

Last edited:
I agree. You are correct that it depends, and my family and I are not fussy eaters. I read some negative reviews regarding 50s prime time and we have always had a good experience. If anything, for nostalgia reasons alone I think we will give it another try. Thank you for your post

I commented earlier in the thread that, not having eaten at MM for a number of years, DH and I ate there in May and enjoyed our meal. We are actually very fussy when it comes to Italian food. We didn't think our meal was out of this world, one of the best Italian restaurants we've ever been to, and we do prefer one or two other Italian restaurants on Disney property. However it certainly wasn't terrible or bad, or tasteless, and we most definitely won't eat anything that's put in front of us-ESPECIALLY Italian food. We're going again next month with our kids 1. because we liked it in May and 2. because we feel options in HS are rather limited and it's one of the better ones. Like many guests, we've been to Disney restaurants others love and we just don't understand the hype; we've been to restaurants nobody talks about and loved them. If a place interests you my suggestion is you try it because if you don't you might be missing out on something you enjoy. And if you're like me, you'll just keep wondering what it's like!

I would like to clarify my statement, "people will eat whatever is put in front of them."

As I typed those words I thought of my mother who enjoyed all food with gusto...every vegetable...liver and onions while I cringed...every delicacy from the sea, etc... I thought of my DH who loves to try new things and enjoys most foods. He eats whatever is put in front of him, no argument. I thought of my brother-in-law who has travelled the far reaches of the world and sampled every dish, enjoying most, no matter how rare.

When I typed the words, "Some people have fussier taste buds," I thought of myself and DD19. We generally have very fussy taste buds. We do best at buffets where we can usually find something we like, but don't usually like everything. We eat vegetables for our health, not because we enjoy them. When we eat at 5 star restaurants, we order the simplest meal on the menu. We tend to do well with steak.

I admire people who "will eat whatever is put in front of them." I'm embarrassed by my less than sophisticated palette. In my mind, my post was more self-deprecating than insulting to others.

It's all good, Summer 2018. I am certain that you did not mean anything "mean" by your comments. :)

Food can be hit or miss whether it's prepared in a restaurant or at home. I take great pride in my own cooking skills, but I admit I have an off-day in the kitchen once in a while. Sometimes, it's the ingredients not being as good as they normally are. Other times, it can be due to a mistake like not adding enough or too much of something. Or overcooking/undercooking. There are a lot of variables that can affect the way food comes out. Maybe the OP hit the kitchen on an off-night.

All that said, we enjoyed the meal we had at Mama Melrose a few years ago. We chose it for the Fantasmic package, and it was a solid meal. I wouldn't hesitate to dine there again.

Based on reading these boards for many years I believe that "Italian cuisine" is one of the most volatile issues! ;) Many people have a "grandmother that came over on the boat from Italy" and nothing can touch what she made in the kitchen :) Others (like me) are not as fortunate so the range of "acceptable" Italian food is broader for me than the other group. Having said that, we always felt that MM was just ok. Not bad, certainly not inedible, just...we can probably find something we like better elsewhere. Currently the ONLY eatery in DHS we go for is HBD--and that's not every trip.

Been to mama melrose twice and 2 horrible meals. Sorry yours was bad. On celebration... we were celebrating 20th anniversary lots of cast members congratulated us on our buttons but only 1 restaurant acknowledged at all in 10 days with 10 TS and 2 signatures. It was fine we had dining plan didn't need anything but a congratulations or just something on our dessert we already paid for would have been nice.

Oh and I'm not fussy about Italian. No Italian grandmothers. And I just doctor up the $1 can of hunts for my spaghetti at home. But MM no good. Long time ago though. I almost didn't go to Coral Reef last time because of bad reviews and it was our best 1 credit TS meal.

We ate dinner there in October. One of our best meals! We like to eat at a lot of signature restaurants and I'm pretty sure this meal was better than a few we've eaten at. My husband literally cleaned his entire plate!

Well I guess I will find out one way or the other in a few months. We are doing Mama Melrose for the Phantasmic Package (can't do H&V it is the only Disney restaurant on my never again list). Since my girls love Olive Garden I am assuming they will like this place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!