Making the most of a week in Anaheim

mbf

Mouseketeer
Hi! I am looking for some advice on how to make the most of my DLR vacation time!

Backstory, we are DL noobs but have been to WDW and Universal Orlando two times each. For our December 2015 vacation we decided we would either do WDW again (only the second time for DS10) or DLR and some additional sites in the area. I waffled a bit because I love the all-inclusive atmosphere of staying at WDW. However, in the end DS10 and DH said they like the idea of venturing West (we live in NYS).

There will definitely be DH, DS10, and myself on this trip. Possibly (if work allows) DD’s 24 and 21. I have booked the Embassy Suites Garden Grove for a Saturday – Saturday trip. I am planning on 3 days at DL with no Hopper (maybe add a Hopper the last day if we need to and if possible). Is 3 days too much for a WDW vet new to DLR?

Next question: I would like to plan on a day in LA seeing sites. I have found several bus tours and like the Anaheim Visitor Center Warner Brothers + Movie Star Homes Tour the best although it is pricey (http://anaheim411.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=88). Is the convenience worth the cost to avoid LA traffic? My other option would be rental car and a Hop On/Hop Off Tour of LA but again I think about traffic and parking and wonder how we would fair (remember we are East Coast and have traveled/driven extensively to NYC and Philly and parking is always an issue in those cities).

Lastly: What other “day trips” (both driving and non-driving) would everyone recommend? We thought about Universal Hollywood but wonder if it is too similar to Orlando to be interesting to us. I am actually wondering about maybe a day trip to Catalina Island or to a closer beach with a lot of activities. I have heard Zip Lining on Catalina is a really great time. I am pretty sure we will rent a car for at least a few days and am open to just about any suggestions. I think after 3 days at Disney we will probably be “theme parked out” and DS10 is touch and go as far as the big coasters go (why I am ruling out Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry Farm).

Thanks in advance!

PS – I have read through Hydroguy’s Threads and am making my way currently through a ton of Dis Unplugged Disneyland Edition podcasts. Great info!

Parking in LA is no where near as bad as parking in NYC or Philly and usually cheaper if you pay. Traffic on the other hand is just as bad (as NYC, worse than Philly,) but more spread out. As long as you dont drive during rush hour, traffic will be ok. I would really say its up to you on your preference. If you might want to have some cocktails while you are out, maybe take the tour bus.
I would skip Universal Hollywood if you have been to Orlando, it will be a huge let down, although Citywalk is kind of neat.

I would highly recommend getting the park hopper added on. When we tire of Disneyland we just walk right across the street to DCA. It also has some of the better rides, such as soaring and Tower of Terror.

Catalina is at least a 3 hour drive with LA traffic. Manhattan beach is closer along with Venice beach. Though I probably wouldn't take a child to Venice.

Hi! I am looking for some advice on how to make the most of my DLR vacation time!

Backstory, we are DL noobs but have been to WDW and Universal Orlando two times each. For our December 2015 vacation we decided we would either do WDW again (only the second time for DS10) or DLR and some additional sites in the area. I waffled a bit because I love the all-inclusive atmosphere of staying at WDW. However, in the end DS10 and DH said they like the idea of venturing West (we live in NYS).

There will definitely be DH, DS10, and myself on this trip. Possibly (if work allows) DD’s 24 and 21. I have booked the Embassy Suites Garden Grove for a Saturday – Saturday trip. I am planning on 3 days at DL with no Hopper (maybe add a Hopper the last day if we need to and if possible). Is 3 days too much for a WDW vet new to DLR?

Next question: I would like to plan on a day in LA seeing sites. I have found several bus tours and like the Anaheim Visitor Center Warner Brothers + Movie Star Homes Tour the best although it is pricey (http://anaheim411.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=88). Is the convenience worth the cost to avoid LA traffic? My other option would be rental car and a Hop On/Hop Off Tour of LA but again I think about traffic and parking and wonder how we would fair (remember we are East Coast and have traveled/driven extensively to NYC and Philly and parking is always an issue in those cities).

Lastly: What other “day trips” (both driving and non-driving) would everyone recommend? We thought about Universal Hollywood but wonder if it is too similar to Orlando to be interesting to us. I am actually wondering about maybe a day trip to Catalina Island or to a closer beach with a lot of activities. I have heard Zip Lining on Catalina is a really great time. I am pretty sure we will rent a car for at least a few days and am open to just about any suggestions. I think after 3 days at Disney we will probably be “theme parked out” and DS10 is touch and go as far as the big coasters go (why I am ruling out Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry Farm).

Thanks in advance!

PS – I have read through Hydroguy’s Threads and am making my way currently through a ton of Dis Unplugged Disneyland Edition podcasts. Great info!

Three days at DLR is just about perfect for December, provided you are going in early December, rather than during the last two weeks of the month. It can get crowded at that time. Sorry I don't have any info about other activities--it's been several years since we did anything else in SoCal. Once we're there, we never get out of DLR. Have a great trip!

Catalina is at least a 3 hour drive with LA traffic. Manhattan beach is closer along with Venice beach. Though I probably wouldn't take a child to Venice.

Awholenewdisney --

You can't drive to Catalina -- it's in the middle of the ocean. You can drive from Disneyland Resort to Long Beach (where the Catalina Express is) in about 25-35 minutes, depending on what time of day you go. It takes an hour to get to Catalina by boat, give or take a few minutes.

Thanks in advance!

mbf --

While I have not ziplined on Catalina, I can help with Catalina info.

I have one thread with a lot of info and some photos here and there (it's relevant even if you don't use the free birthday offer that I talk about in the thread) -- HERE.

And I have a Catalina trip report (which doesn't include photos or info from my most recent trips) -- HERE.

And, in my Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread, there is a post about Other Holiday Activities to Do/Things to See Around SoCal. Keep in mind that there is no info for 2015 yet, so some of the links may have become inactive and all of the 2014 references have to be changed to 2015, but those activities will be happening in 2015.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions and advice. I am going to run the Catalina Ferry idea by my DH and son. I kept looking at Google maps wondering how bad traffic must be if the ferry terminal takes 3 hours to get to lol!

I will definitely check out your threads too Sherry E.

My SIL and her family are going in March. They are doing a lot of the things I see advised against on here and other places: 2 separate rental cars instead of one big one (I would imagine getting separated in heavy traffic is a distinct possibility they have not thought about); a lot of driving around all over Southern California. I am going to see how they fair in all of this but from past travel experiences I like to keep DH on a short leash during vacations as he tends to meander off course and therefore off schedule. A lot less stress that way!

Keep those comments coming!

Thanks in advance!

It sort of depends on what you're interested in. Just as a heads up...Hollywood itself is not all that glamorous like it may appear on TV. I don't care for Universal Studios because, to me, it just pales in comparison to Disneyland. But many people enjoy going there.

The La Brea tar pits are kind of cool if anyone in your family is a dinosaur buff. There's the Getty Museum in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Arboretum is very nice & is where Fantasy Island was often filmed back in the 70s. There's also the California Science Center, which has the space shuttle Endeavor there.

A trip to the beach is always fun, but in December, the water is way too cold to swim in unless you have a full wet suit & booties.

If you are skiers or snowboarders, Big Bear is a 2 hour drive from Anaheim. Snow Summit & they have the capacity to make their own snow on most of the runs.

SOCAL is rich with activities and sights. There's no way you can do it all in a week. Since this is your first trip to the LA area, I would suggest you prioritize a handful of things that you can only do there. Typically, folks like to see the ocean. There are plenty of little beach towns in OC and LA that are great and all have their own character: spend some time in the ocean, get some good food, check out the "scene," walk through the shops, etc. My trips down as a kid always included a museum or two: La Brea Tar Pits (as mentioned), Museum of Natural History, even Autry National Center of the American West. There are some ideas here are maximize time and local fare: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/los-angeles/748393
If you want to get away from tourists, you can also check out community calendars for events.

For families with kids I recommend in the LA area: La Brea Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory, LA Zoo (if you're not going to SD Zoo), Autry Center, Natural History Museum, California Science Center, Aquarium of the Pacific.

A trip to Catalina is good, or you can go whale watching.

Depending on where you live it could also be fun to drive to Palm Springs to ride the Aerial Tramway to the top of Mt San Jacinto, where it will likely be cold and snowy in December.

I moved this thread over to our Southern California forum, as it's more about things to do in SoCal and not so much about Disneyland-specific planning.

mbf --

If your son and husband like cars and other vehicles, there is the Petersen Auto Museum in L.A. (very close to the Tar Pits, LACMA, Farmers Market, etc.). [ETA: The Auto Museum is currently closed until December 2015, if I am not mistaken.]

Plus, across the street from LACMA and the Tar Pits there are (I think they are still there) 10 sections of the real Berlin Wall on display. It's called The Wall Project. It's an exhibit that a lot of people don't know about (I didn't know about it for the longest time, and I live in the area!).

Last edited:
We are planning a DL trip in September. 2A. No wheels. My plan was to stay at DL Hotel for the week.

Saturday - LAX
Sunday - Greyline tour of LA
Mon - DL or DCA
Tues - DL or DCA
Wed - Relax
Thurs - DL or DCA
Friday - Greyline tour to Catalina
Saturday - ?
Sun - LAX

Not sure if it's worth staying at DL the entire week. Weekend is expensive and we would be skipping the parks on those days anyway. Don't know other good spot to stay or how to get there.

Catalina is quite fun to see, you can rent a golf cart and take a tour of the island. We had a blast. My TR link below has pictures of Catalina.

We are planning a DL trip in September. 2A. No wheels. My plan was to stay at DL Hotel for the week.

Saturday - LAX
Sunday - Greyline tour of LA
Mon - DL or DCA
Tues - DL or DCA
Wed - Relax
Thurs - DL or DCA
Friday - Greyline tour to Catalina
Saturday - ?
Sun - LAX

Not sure if it's worth staying at DL the entire week. Weekend is expensive and we would be skipping the parks on those days anyway. Don't know other good spot to stay or how to get there.

iZon --

Let me know if you need any additional info about Catalina (beyond the two Catalina-specific threads I linked in post #5^^^). I've never done the Gray Line tour, but I have a lot of experience with visiting the island (and I will be back there again in July). In addition to the threads I linked above, I also did a podcast with DIS Unplugged (specifically, with Tom Bell and Mary Jo) a couple of months ago, and we talked at length about Catalina Island. The podcast can be found here (click on the Day Six Adventure section) - http://www.disunplugged.com/2015/03/23/dis-unplugged-podcast-032215-disneyland-show/.

In fact, Mary Jo and I left out quite a bit of (what I feel is) valuable info about trips to Catalina in our discussion, along with some tips -- we didn't mean to leave out those things, but we simply ran out of time and had to end the discussion. I wrote a companion piece to/continuation of the podcast, filling in some of those blanks that we did not get to, and I loaded it with detailed info and photos. I submitted it as an article to The DIS, and it doesn't look like it is going to be published. So I might have to just copy/paste/post some of what I wrote in my existing Catalina thread.

Last edited:
1) Get a hotel that is walkable to Disneyland. Look at the new SpringHill Suites Anaheim Resort Convention Center, Marriott Courtyard Anaheim Hotel & Waterpark, Residence Inn Maingate, Homewood Suites, Hyatt Place and Hyatt House. All of those (except the Residence Inn) is new, three of them aren't open yet but will be by Nov/Dec.

2) GET a park hopper. DLR is NOTHING like WDW. DL and DCA are like one giant theme park. We jump back and forth between parks all day.

3) I think Catalina is a waste myself if you are only in So Cal for a week. Do a three hour whale watching tour out of Newport Beach instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter