!!!!MAJOR!!!! ESTA Problem! :(

sarah4291

Mouseketeer
Ok so we have booked to fly in 3 weeks and 3 days! Last night me and my fiancé went to do our ESTA!

We entered all the info correctly and then we had an error - passport not valid!!! AGH!!

So lets explain why! Our holiday is our honeymoon! I have booked it in my new name and I have sent off and received my new passport in my married name!!

The problem we have is that the passport is post dated to the day of the wedding - 27th July - we fly on the 29th July - only 48 hours later!!! The problem??? You have to do your ESTA 72hours in advance!!!

So this is where we have a !!!!MAJOR!!!! Problem!!! Has anyone had any experience of this and can help with what to do? PLEASE!!!

Thankyou!!!

not sure I can actually help but the Esta application will only recognise a valid passport - there is no getting around that and many people just fly on their maiden name as its easier!

You do not have to do the Esta 72 hours in advance, its just recommended because then it gives you enough time to sort any problems should they arise.

You only really have 2 options,
fly using your old passport (i'm not sure if they send it back to you or cut off the corner - it was a long time ago when i got married :rotfl2:)

apply for your esta after the passport is valid and prey that there are no problems.

I know a lot of TA's are telling people that it will be no problem to fly in your married name without letting them know about this issue!

Like I said, not much help really but i couldn't read and run...

Hope you have a lovely wedding day and i'm sure things will work out just fine :goodvibes

Hi

First off, don't panic - federal law does NOT require you to apply 72 hours in advance - it's just recommended. Most applications are approved very quickly - all of ours were less than 24 hours.

Many applications are authorised almost instantly.

I assume that you don't have any reason to believe the ESTA won't be accepted? If not you should be fine - you could theoretically even apply on the plane on the way over there and chance it that it will be cleared before landing - although I wouldn't recommend it ;)

Thankyou for the replies! There really is no reason it wouldn't go through! As the wedding is a Saturday are the timings still the same if I apply on the morning of the wedding!!!

And as the one PP said - you are right - the TA didn't let's know about any problems and said it was no problem!!!

For a esta it say up to 72 hours before flying as just in case there a problem, I belong to a wedding forum and this comes up all the time, and everyone that's got a new passport that's going on honeymoon right after wedding stays up to 12am morning of wedding to do it as soon as the passport comes vaid, just do it morning of the wedding your be fine.

For a esta it say up to 72 hours before flying as just in case there a problem, I belong to a wedding forum and this comes up all the time, and everyone that's got a new passport that's going on honeymoon right after wedding stays up to 12am morning of wedding to do it as soon as the passport comes vaid, just do it morning of the wedding your be fine.

Would this work though considering time differences? USA are several hours behind us, and seeing as it is an American website would 12am work as it wouldnt be the 27th in the USA yet! :D

We completely forgot to get ESTA's for our DS's a couple years ago (DH had one, I'm Canadian and don't need one) until we were at the airport. DH managed to apply and pay for both on his iPhone while we stood in the queue for US Airways. As others have said, 72 hours is a guideline, but there's a real last minute story for you!

So happy I decided to just keep my own name when I got married!

OP, based on lolainkent's son managing to get one just before they checked their luggage I'm sure you'll be fine. I know it's easier said than done!

That is why a lot of brides book their honeymoon in their maiden names and don't change until after the honeymoon. Can you change your name on the booking?

Hi

First off, don't panic - federal law does NOT require you to apply 72 hours in advance - it's just recommended. Most applications are approved very quickly - all of ours were less than 24 hours.

Many applications are authorised almost instantly.

I assume that you don't have any reason to believe the ESTA won't be accepted? If not you should be fine - you could theoretically even apply on the plane on the way over there and chance it that it will be cleared before landing - although I wouldn't recommend it ;)

Are you sure they don't check you have an ESTA in the UK before allowing you to board?

We completely forgot to get ESTA's for our DS's a couple years ago (DH had one, I'm Canadian and don't need one) until we were at the airport. DH managed to apply and pay for both on his iPhone while we stood in the queue for US Airways. As others have said, 72 hours is a guideline, but there's a real last minute story for you!

Glad I'm not alone. Last November I arrived at the airport and discovered, on check in, that my ESTA had expired. BA staff kindly let me use their office and computer (at Manchester) and I did it there and then. My hands were shaking a bit, but all went through okay :)

Sure you'll be fine OP :thumbsup2

Definitely sure.

It's an electronic authorisation system which is only checked when entering the US.

See my response above. It was BA who told me about the 'problem' with mine at the airport - it had been valid when I booked the ticket, but wasn't when I came to travel. I would never have known and would have entered the USA had BA not told me.

See my response above. It was BA who told me about the 'problem' with mine at the airport - it had been valid when I booked the ticket, but wasn't when I came to travel. I would never have known and would have entered the USA had BA not told me.

Interesting to know!

VA didn't check with us last year - they just announced on the plane that ESTAs were required for entry into the US.

I suspect it's airline policy rather than federal law requiring them earlier than entry.

The Airline Def do know if you have an ESTA or not and will not let you board unless they can see it in your booking, its linked to your passport number, and unless its in their system at check in- you're not flying.

You also cannot do online check in without a valid ESTA.

I know this as last year BA could not see my ESTA in their system- even though I had one, took a firm reply and a call to their IT department to get it sorted.

BA told me if you are refused entry- and not having a valid ESTA or Visa would be reason for refusal, they are fined heavily and have to fly you home, something they and you don't want.

i work at the airport at checkin....we wouldnt let anyone board without knowing that they had a valid ESTA...on saying that the amount of people that turn up without an ESTA is unbelievable..most of the time we just send them to the internet kiosk and they do it there and then no problem

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter