Main St. Bakery French Toast Loaf

Paula H

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have the recipe for this???? I recently saw it in a magazine - maybe even the Disney magazine - I saved for mom's birthday brunch this weekend, but now I can't find!!! Can anyone help? Thanks.

Just checked to Disney recipe sites I have bookmarked with no luck. There were several french toast recipes but none identified for that location.

Deb

I found the recipe at allearsnet.com. I don't know if I'm allowed to re-print someone else's recipe, and since it will be easy for you to go to the site I will just direct you there. Go to the dining section and then to recipes. It sounds delicious!

French Toast Loaf

(Courtesy of Scott)
YIELD: 1 Loaf

Ingredients:

12 slices day-old white bread (preferably a homestyle white, not Wonder Bread
type)

8 oz. butter (chilled and sliced)

Brown sugar batch:

9 oz, light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together and set aside.

Batter:

10 oz. heavy cream
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together and refrigerate until ready to use.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Method:

Liberally spray a loaf pan with Pam or other vegetable spray. Layer three slices day old bread on bottom of pan. Sprinkle 1/3 brown sugar mixture on top of bread, then layer 1/3 of the butter. Repeat these steps two more times. Top off with three more slices of bread (should have a total of 12 slices of bread). Press down with hand to compact bread into loaf pan.

Slowly pour 16 oz. of batter over top of loaf, covering completely. This may take a little time, to allow it to fully absorb into bread and flow into spaces at bottom. (Take
your time here and pour into corners. Lift bread at corners a little to get into bottom quicker if you want.)

Place loaf pan on some paper towel in case of overflow. Cover top of loaf with parchment paper and wrap top tightly with aluminum foil. Place in refrigerator and allow to sit overnight.

Heat oven to 325º F. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until internal temperature in center of loaf is 160 degrees. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Place a plate on top of loaf pan and invert to remove from pan. Cut into 7 slices and serve.

Thanks so much!!! I can't wait to try this. I've read about it on the dining boards and forgot to try it during our last trip - so I'll make it for Sunday brunch, and then have the "real" thing in just a month! Thanks again.

I just made this recipe a couple weeks ago and it came out pretty good. I did learned a couple things that Ill share.
Where it says to take your time pouring it and get in the corners and lift...follow those directions. ;) I was sort of rushed while doing it and figured it would just absorb down to the bottom. In the end when it was flipped over, the bottom was very soggy and the some spots on the top were totally dry.
Also, I tried to cut the loaf into 9 slices and only do 3 layers. I thought cutting the loaf into 12 equal slices would be tough and I was afraid the slices would be too thin and rip while cutting them. In only doing 3 layers, there were only 2 layers of the filling and butter. When eating it there were times I got a big bite of butter or a big bite of the mixture. It really should have been spread out more into 3 layers...or I should have used less if only doing 2 layers of that.
So I guess in general, follow the directions exactly and take your time. Like I said, it still came out pretty good. DH was raving about it so if he compliments me it must have been good, but I think I should have been more careful. ::yes::

CamColt,
do you think that you could make this and freeze it until you baked it. It would be great to make up for Christmas morning.

Thanks again everyone. I did make this and it was a huge hit!!! I followed the recipe exactly and it was wonderful. Be sure to put a shallow baker or cookie sheet on a seperate rack a few inches under the loaf pan while in the oven, though. Mine bubbled over into the bottom of the oven and smoked up the whole house!

Good tip, Paula. :D

Torismom, I didnt find an overly eggy taste. I tasted more butter and cinnamon/sugar than anything.

Sharbear, I suppose you could make it ahead of time and freeze it. It does need to sit overnight anyway though, so if you could make it on Christmas Eve day it would be ready to pop in the oven on Christmas morning. Im actually planning on doing this too. ;)

French Toast Loaf
Main Street Bake Shop, Magic Kingdom
Submitted by: Barb A
Ingredients:
12 slices day-old white bread (preferably a homestyle white, not Wonder Bread type)
8 oz. butter (chilled and sliced)
Brown sugar batch:
9 oz, light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Mix together and set aside.
Batter:
10 oz. heavy cream
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Mix together and refrigerate until ready to use.
Method:
Liberally spray a loaf pan with Pam or other vegetable spray. Layer three slices day old bread on bottom of pan. Sprinkle 1/3 brown sugar mixture on top of bread, then layer 1/3 of the butter. Repeat these steps two more times. Top off with three more slices of bread (should have a total of 12 slices of bread). Press down with hand to compact bread into loaf pan. Slowly pour 16 oz. of batter over top of loaf, covering completely. This may take a little time, to allow it to fully absorb into bread and flow into spaces at bottom. (Take your time here and pour into corners. Lift bread at corners a little to get into bottom quicker if you want.)
Place loaf pan on some paper towel in case of overflow. Cover top of loaf with parchment paper and wrap top tightly with aluminum foil. Place in refrigerator and allow to sit overnight.
Heat oven to 325º F. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until internal temperature in center of loaf is 160 degrees. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Place a plate on top of loaf pan and invert to remove from pan. Cut into 7 slices and serve.
Yield: 1 Loaf

We just had the Main Street Bakery French Toast Loaf. It was awesome!
Has anyone used Texas Toast style bread with this recipe?

DolphinBoy said:
We just had the Main Street Bakery French Toast Loaf. It was awesome!
Has anyone used Texas Toast style bread with this recipe?

Yes, I have only made it with Texas toast bread and it comes out reeeeeallly good! :thumbsup2 Therefore, I have not attempted this recipe with regular bread...Just be prepared, as using Texas toast bread causes your loaf pan to be very tightly packed and this then causes it to take awhile to pour in the egg mixture into the pan. Just be patient, as the egg mix will soak in very slowly. And, it is well worth the wait! :thumbsup2 Yummers!!!!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter