Magic Kingdom and pit bulls

pop pop

Earning My Ears
Yesterday on the 12th of February Nana and I were at a very crowded Magic Kingdom watching the muppets when this big guy walks by with his pit bull on a leash. So it’s ok to make people uncomfortable as long as your needs are met?
I think Disney should rethink their policy on these social anxiety support dogs. Just imagine what could happen!
What are your thoughts?

Yesterday on the 12th of February Nana and I were at a very crowded Magic Kingdom watching the muppets when this big guy walks by with his pit bull on a leash. So it’s ok to make people uncomfortable as long as your needs are met?
I think Disney should rethink their policy on these social anxiety support dogs. Just imagine what could happen!
What are your thoughts?
My thoughts?
Angry that Disney allows it.
Some owners with this breed of dog chose it because they like the feeling of power and superiority over others it gives them.

Saw an obvious pit bull in Epcot.
Clearly not a service dog.
Had a construction vest wrapped around him (didn't fit) and
was wearing a choke collar with the inward spikes (certainly not needed for a service dog).

Tricky territory that is impacting all sorts of businesses, and hopefully leads to some legal guidelines.

My personal preference would be no real dogs in the theme parks. It's been a slippery slope that went from service dogs to emotional support dogs and even pets are not being screened out from entering the parks, although in theory they are not allowed, but there is a lack of enforcement. It's gotten to where many guests feel unsafe about having to encounter so many dogs in the parks.

When did they start allowing dogs in the parks? I definitely understand service dogs, but are you all saying just regular pets are allowed now? How prevalent is this? I love my dog, but I couldn't see walking around a theme park all day with her....and I don't really feel like dealing with other people's pets.

In theory pets are still not allowed in the parks, but if someone shows up with a dog, it is assumed to be a service dog and so it is allowed in. I first observed significant numbers of dogs in the theme parks starting last fall. (Hadn't seen any on all my trips before then.) I saw on average around six to eight dogs per day in each theme park.

I am hoping this experiment will be a HUGE fail but that does not look like it is going to be the case. I sincerely hope that it does not take a nasty bite or dog fight for Disney to come to their senses. Sometimes it is hard enough to watch out for groups that stop short, strollers, and inexperienced evc drivers looking up. Now add watching the ground to make sure you don't slip in dog doo is too much. I don't even want to think about park close packed bus ride back to resort with dog in the way. Every new policy they implement and then not enforce is just another nail in the coffin. There is a lot riding on my upcoming trip. I spend way too much at Disney as it is, but I will not spend $$$$$$$$$ to vacation in a kennel.

What are your thoughts?

Well yes, someone's NEEDS do come before someone else's COMFORT.

However, I'm not convinced that most of these "emotional support" animals are needed. I really wish they had some type of legit certification/verification process, that businesses actually followed through with.

I am hoping this experiment will be a HUGE fail but that does not look like it is going to be the case. I sincerely hope that it does not take a nasty bite or dog fight for Disney to come to their senses. Sometimes it is hard enough to watch out for groups that stop short, strollers, and inexperienced evc drivers looking up. Now add watching the ground to make sure you don't slip in dog doo is too much. I don't even want to think about park close packed bus ride back to resort with dog in the way. Every new policy they implement and then not enforce is just another nail in the coffin. There is a lot riding on my upcoming trip. I spend way too much at Disney as it is, but I will not spend $$$$$$$$$ to vacation in a kennel.

We feel the same. We just went to Disney after New Years (marathon weekend) but have no upcoming trips planned. This is, I think, the first time in about 5 years that I don't have an upcoming trip planned. The new policy allowing pet dogs in some resorts bothers me, and we definitely noticed more dogs that did not appear to be trained service dogs in the parks.

Last edited:
Not all pitbulls are bad.. people who raise them to be fighters is what's wrong. Also it's easy to spot a real service dog vs a pet. If the dog barks or growls or even looks hyper while "on duty" they are mostlikly a pet.
So, when it's not a real service dog, does Disney remove it?

What do the service animals do while their owners are on the ride? Surely they aren't taking animals on Rock n Roller Coaster and the like.

So, when it's not a real service dog, does Disney remove it?
Saddly not likely. You can buy fake vests and company's do not want the legal issues. I no Walmart used to ban all animals other than service dogs. Someone sued them and now the greeter can't even check for a certificate and no employee can say anything. If a "service" dog bites someone that person will be sued into the ground so I hope the trend stops and only people who have a need bring them.

Not all pitbulls are bad.. people who raise them to be fighters is what's wrong. Also it's easy to spot a real service dog vs a pet. If the dog barks or growls or even looks hyper while "on duty" they are mostlikly a pet.

I agree. There is no reason that a pitbull could not be a legitimate service dog, though I don't think it's a common choice. Many pits are perfectly behaved and have a good nature. German Shepherds are more common as a service animal, but I have been bitten by one of those and am not that comfortable around them. I give any strange dog a wide berth though. Now, I am talking about legitimate service animals as defined by the ADA. The rise in "Emotional Support Animals" is getting out of hand and many people do obviously abuse the policy. I think a crack-down on that is warranted, though I am not an expert on the legal issues therein.

Last edited:
Assuming you treat it like a child. Someone waits with the dog while others ride.

Yes, dogs simply can't board most rides and must have someone to watch them if the primary user rides. Interestingly, some rides do actually allow the animal to board, but they are not roller-coasters or any other fast moving type of ride. The list on WDW's site is not exhaustive and it may also depend on the size of the animal.

If the dog really is a legitimate support dog, then yes the dog needs to be there whether you are judgmental of the breed or not.

This. All of this. The perception that pit bulls are somehow inherently bad dogs is based in sensationalism rather than science; the pit bulls I've actually met in person have invariably been child-loving cuddle-monsters. Any dog can be dangerous if it's raised by a bad or incompetent owner, but if raised correctly there's no reason whatsoever a pit bull couldn't serve as a support or service dog (apart from my general impression that they're not necessarily the brightest dogs on earth...). If someone has a legitimate need for the animal, yes, their need is more important than your comfort. I agree that people shouldn't bring untrained animals into public spaces (the dog in a pinch collar is a clear example), but that's the full extent of my agreement.

My personal preference would be no real dogs in the theme parks. It's been a slippery slope that went from service dogs to emotional support dogs and even pets are not being screened out from entering the parks, although in theory they are not allowed, but there is a lack of enforcement. It's gotten to where many guests feel unsafe about having to encounter so many dogs in the parks.

I'm frankly disgusted by this suggestion. While I understand the frustration re: emotional support animals that may not meet reasonable standards of training for an animal that's to be brought into a public space, the idea that a blind person should be made to go without the dog that enables them to safely navigate chaotic spaces and enjoy a measure of independence, or that someone who suffers from seizures should be made to go without the dog that alerts them to oncoming seizures and protects them from the harm that could befall them if they were to fall during an episode just because you don't like being around dogs...no. Just no. People with disabilities have a right to enjoy public spaces, same as you, and they have a right to the tools that enable them to lead fuller, safer lives.

None of the dogs I have seen in the parks appeared to be with a blind person. If the only dogs in the parks were actually assisting blind people, I would have been fine with that.

BTW my personal preference was just that, my personal preference; it was not a suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter