magic bands and a card

12disneybee

Mouseketeer
We have our magic bands
one party member hates anything on her wrist, can she get a card and does having the card void out her magic band?

I think you have to really jump through hoops to get a KTTW card anymore,but she doesn't have to wear the Band-some Guests keep them in their pockets,etc. and just pull them out when needed.:)

DS doesn't like to wear the MB, so we get him a card. He could use the card as a room key, theme park admissions, FP+and DDP, but it wouldn't work for purchases. We've never had a problem when we've asked for it.

I think you have to really jump through hoops to get a KTTW card anymore,but she doesn't have to wear the Band-some Guests keep them in their pockets,etc. and just pull them out when needed.:)
This. Having a band doesn't mean you have to wear it. Folks tend to forget that. Keep it on a bag strap if you want, in your pocket, clipped to a belt loop. But yes, if you want a card instead then you can get one. Some people are just anti RFID and want a card instead. It will mean no ride photos automatically linked and no 7DMT photo at all (no scanners installed there). In case that matters.

We've never had a problem when we've asked for it.
Awesome news!

I tried to get a KTTW card shortly after MBs were introduced and they acted like it was almost impossible to do that anymore-glad to see that has changed and the KTTW cards are easily obtainable now for Guests who want them.:)

This. Having a band doesn't mean you have to wear it. Folks tend to forget that. Keep it on a bag strap if you want, in your pocket, clipped to a belt loop. But yes, if you want a card instead then you can get one. Some people are just anti RFID and want a card instead. It will mean no ride photos automatically linked and no 7DMT photo at all (no scanners installed there). In case that matters.
But aren't the cards RFID as well?

I know that, but the PP didn't specify long or short range- just "anti-RFID".
Sorry. I'll be more clear in the future. Point being, cards won't work with any of the readers that you don't touch. So they won't work with ride photo system.

Thanks
Does the magic band stay active along with the card or does the card inactivate the band? I'm not interested into ride photos so it's not an issue

Thanks
Does the magic band stay active along with the card or does the card inactivate the band? I'm not interested into ride photos so it's not an issue
Both would be active and can be used interchangeably unless you specifically deactivate one or the other in MDE.

Knowing Disney, just because one person reports that they didn't have any issues getting a card, doesn't mean it will be the same for everybody.

Cards have an RFID chip in them. They only work at touch points. The bands have a long-distance sensor as well which is how your ride photos show up on your MDX account. The distance needed to trigger it isn't all that long though.

So someone who is genuinely anti-RFID is out of luck because WDW only uses RFID technology now. I guess the best they could do is get one of those wallets that claims to shield RFID.

And, cards are obtainable at customer service with no problems, I called and the info med me many people prefer the card still.

Knowing Disney, just because one person reports that they didn't have any issues getting a card, doesn't mean it will be the same for everybody.

Cards have an RFID chip in them. They only work at touch points. The bands have a long-distance sensor as well which is how your ride photos show up on your MDX account. The distance needed to trigger it isn't all that long though.

So someone who is genuinely anti-RFID is out of luck because WDW only uses RFID technology now. I guess the best they could do is get one of those wallets that claims to shield RFID.
True. If you encounter a CM that won't cooperate, politely ask for their supervisor. It should not be an issue. They do have it on their site that you can opt out of the bands if desired.

Personally, I would just choose not to wear it, leaving it in my pocket or on my bag strap instead. That is easier than dragging a card out all the time.

Has anyone had any luck getting a KTTW card AND MB?

I was told it was one or the other-they wouldn't "issue" both.

Has anyone had any luck getting a KTTW card AND MB?

I was told it was one or the other-they wouldn't "issue" both.
I don't see how that could be. Until the past month or so, if you stayed on site you got a band, no matter if you wanted one or not. They have always said they would offer KTTW cards for anyone who does not want to use a band. Even now they won't let you decline a MB if yours are more than 1 year old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter