Looking for vow renewal couples for Modern Bride article

k-wa

Mouseketeer
Hi,

If you would like to be mentioned in a small story and are planning a vow renewal or have recently renewed your vows AND have been married less than 10 years please e-mail me ASAP. My story is due next week. Thanks.

e:mail: kawereszynski@yahoo.com

k-wa said:
If you would like to be mentioned in a small story and are planning a vow renewal or have recently renewed your vows AND have been married less than 10 years please e-mail me ASAP. My story is due next week.

Oh, that's such a shame that you wanted folks married less than 10 years. My husband and I renewed our vows in October for our 20th anniversary. We had an evening ceremony inside the Wedding Pavilion, followed by a private dinner party inside Disney-MGM Studios' Great Movie Ride. Our evening began with a "handprint" ceremony and ended with a custom fireworks display that took everyone's breath away, ~sigh.~

It would have been fun to have helped you out. Since I'm not in your category, if you're bored, you can read about some of my adventures on the Dis' Trip Reports board -- click here and click here.

Good luck with your article.

Janet,

Like many of the other Disers, I have enjoyed your vow renewal story very much. Unfortunately, the piece is specifically about a trend of renewing after only a few years -- or just one year -- of marriage. Thanks for offering to contribute and congratulations on your beautiful and imaginative renewal!

--Kathleen

k-wa said:
...the piece is specifically about a trend of renewing after only a few years -- or just one year -- of marriage...

K-wa, I am truly sorry that I couldn't help you out. My fingers are crossed that someone has come forward who can.

One day I hope the magazines will realize that established married couples are looking to do things out of the ordinary and nothing at all like the "first time around." I know that I didn't buy many of the wedding magazines strictly for the simple reason that I found them too cookie-cutter and "been there, done that." I was craving the unusual, and would have killed to have read the details of the Dobo's 50th wedding anniversary vow renewal that they threw at Walt Disney World a few years ago. Boy, that would have made some excellent reading, in my humble opinion.

I forgot to mention what had been stated on the old FTW website regarding that 50th wedding anniversary celebration:

- - - - - - -
Some fairy tales really do come true.

This featured celebration is truly a magical one - for it's all about one special couple renewing their wedding vows after 50 years and keeping the "Happily ever after" in their lives for many more years to come. Don't forget to check back often to see the newest Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding.

Barbara and Bill Dobo
February 4, 2000

Vow Renewal Location:
Disney's Wedding Pavilion and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

The Dream
The dream began 50 years ago when Barbara and Bill first said "I do." They knew the Walt Disney World® Resort would be the perfect spot for their 50th wedding anniversary vow renewal. They have, after all, been to the Walt Disney World® Resort over 45 times! Guests from Washington, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and even Australia traveled to celebrate this extraordinary occasion.

The Setting & Celebration
In order to celebrate 50 years of magic together, the happy couple stretched the occasion out over eight days! A few of those magical days follow:

Tuesday - The Dobos arrived at Disney's Contemporary Resort via private plane charter from North Carolina. Guests joined them for a buffet dinner with a heavy '50s theme - everything from servers dressed in '50s garb to '50s music, floral arrangements and props!

Friday - The vow renewal ceremony was held at Disney's Wedding Pavilion. The staged exit included a white dove release and a flurry of bubbles. The celebration, at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, included tuxedo-costumed and white-gloved butlers with silver trays and Major Domo with the announcements. At the vow renewal dinner and dance, each guest enjoyed white chocolate Mickey & Minnie favors and individual wedding cakes!

Saturday - A dessert party at the United Kingdom Pavilion at Epcot® provided guests with coffee, cordials and "The Divine" - an appropriately named dessert buffet. The night ended with a bang as the sky lit up with fireworks from IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.

Sunday - Off to Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground for a dinner show and dance at the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue!

Monday - No 50th wedding anniversary vow renewal would be complete without a reception cruise aboard the Liberty Belle Riverboat at the Magic Kingdom® Park. And following the cruise, a private dinner was held in The Haunted Mansion and included a blood orange cilantro sorbet served in a lighted skull ice sculpture.

Tuesday - Guests boarded a private plane charter and departed, taking with them an unforgettable experience courtesy of an unforgettable couple.

The Menu
What do you serve over eight incredible days? Everything from honey pecan roasted breast of chicken with apple and cranberry relish to pan-seared potato-crusted shrimp.

The Entertainment
Some of the many entertainment highlights were: Major Domo at the ceremony, The Michael Cross Orchestra performing and Mickey and Minnie appearing at the vow renewal dinner & dance, the dessert party at Epcot® while viewing IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth, the string quartet on the Liberty Belle cruise and, of course, The Haunted Mansion dinner.

The Disney Difference
The couple sums up their experience with these words, "It truly was eight very magical days that only Disney could provide. Mickey and Minnie joining us at our reception dinner and Major Domo added the perfect Disney touch to our ceremony."
- - - - - - -

Yes, sir-ee. I hope to celebrate 50 years exactly as they did. I don't believe anyone has celebrated quite like they have. What an incredible, incredible couple. And what a fun way to honor 50 years of marriage.

Janet

:wave2: This is my first post on Dis Boards YAY!

I have to honestly say the only reason I decided to post was because of finding the story of my grandparents vow renewal party here. It was truly a magical time and that description doesn't even begin to do justice to the extraordinary time we all had that year. My family and I have been back many times since and I eventually moved to Orlando after falling in love with a concierge cast member from the Contemporary. Therefore I can honestly attest to the power of that magical place. If anyone has any questions about the events or anything else regarding our infamous 8 days just let me know and I'll be happy to help as much as I can! And yes the dinner in the Haunted Mansion was by far the most incredible place to have such an event. We enjoyed ourselves so much that I decided to propose to my girlfriend in the mansion! I did that June of 2003 but thats a whole nother story!

yensid74 said:
I have to honestly say the only reason I decided to post was because of finding the story of my grandparents vow renewal party here.

Welcome to the Dis! You're darn tootin' I would LOVE to hear the story of your grandparents. Please start a new thread and begin spilling the beans. And if you have photos to share, please post the link to them.

Your grandparents are my heroes. I hope to do exactly as they did when my husband and I reach our 50th wedding anniversary. I can think of no better place to celebrate a long and successful marriage than a place where the magic lives.

Now share that story!! And, again, welcome to the Dis (and congrats on your engagement).

Janet2k said:
Welcome to the Dis! You're darn tootin' I would LOVE to hear the story of your grandparents. Please start a new thread and begin spilling the beans. And if you have photos to share, please post the link to them.

Your grandparents are my heroes. I hope to do exactly as they did when my husband and I reach our 50th wedding anniversary. I can think of no better place to celebrate a long and successful marriage than a place where the magic lives.

Now share that story!! And, again, welcome to the Dis (and congrats on your engagement).

Hi Janet! :wave:

Well it's not much, but it's a start. Like you, I was curious to see some pix from this grand vow renewal! :teeth: I googled Barbara and Bill Dobo and came up with these few pix on the Disney Wedding Site.

DOBO'S 50TH

Blessings,

Denise

I will be interested to see the final product of this article. I had noticed how quickly people were renewing their vows in grand fashion. I have to wonder how they have money to do it! We would like to do a vow renewal each year on our anniversary, but an intimate (like just us and kids when they come along, God willing) affair that's a reaffirmation and reminder of our vows. I think in some ways people forget the true meaning of a wedding and focus so much on the party and the material side.

Technically, our wedding in December in a vow renewal. We were married legally on August 16, 2004, in a courthouse in southern Virginia. He was in the military. With that said, nothing is certain in the military until you are legally wed. We needed that solidification... quickly.

I wore a knee-lenth white dress, a veil and garter purchased at Wal-Mart, and had a small bouquet. He wore his dress uniform. We exchanged rings we bought at the local mall just days proir. At this point, my white gold has faded to a yellow gold and is cleary visible against my much better made engagement ring. But, the commitment and symbolism is there. I'm freaked out at the idea of not wearing it later this month before our "wedding!"

47b4d606b3127cce99f6c0905c6800000016108AZNmLVy2btt

47b4d606b3127cce99f6c09c5c6400000016108AZNmLVy2btt

We had about 15 people present of both family and friends to witness and support us in our decision. My best freind and Maid of Honor twice over drove 16 hours to be there. Brye's brother and Best Man twice over dropped my ring! He thought Brye was trying to hold his hand instead of get the ring from him! It made for a good laugh and fond memories! Our mothers (neither of our fathers were able to attend) took the group out to brunch at a lovely restraunt. If you're familiar with the 700 Club (news with a Christian approach), our "reception" was held on the same grounds that it is filmed. We had a small cake to cut and a champagne toast. Our moms and friends were our photographers and had us pose for our, "portraits," in the beautiful gardens. We knew God was smiling on us that day. Hurricane Charlie had made it's way up the coast just in time for our wedding. The weather cleared out and brought brilliant sun just as we were seated at the outisde terrace! We even got sunburned!

47b4d606b3127cce99f6c09e5c6600000015108AZNmLVy2btt

It was an important day becuase it was the day we were married; however, if that had become our only wedding day, I think I would have been heart broken. Within about 4 months of the time we met, we had already started planning our Disney wedding. The wedding day we had always envisioned was not in a courthouse without our fathers there. Still, the incredible commitment we were making to one another was evident. I barely choked out my vows through tears of joy... I was marrying my best friend.

We intend to celebrate both our weddings annually. December 29th is a date we have always celebrated as it was the day we met at Disney. Our "vow renewal/wedding," is exactly five years from that day. Our August date will be a much more intimate and quiet affair. As for our wedding rings from that date, we intend to give them to our children as a sign of our love from them... a promise to the commitment we have made to them for all of their lives. I will be wearing the same garter, and my veil from August 2004 will serve as my blusher this December.

The fact that we are already married has really refocused our attention for this December. We can't help but be reminded that this event is based around those incredibly powerful vows we'll be exchanging for a second time. It's nice to be able to focus on them and not the extraneous events.

I certainly will.. It's amazing to see that our party is STILL being talked about! I think thats wonderful. Give me a little time to dig up some pictures and get them on a site so I can link them and I'll keep you all updated on the progress. I hope to have a few pics up by later this afternoon or evening. And thanks for the warm welcome to Dis here board!

yensid74 said:
I certainly will.. It's amazing to see that our party is STILL being talked about! I think thats wonderful. Give me a little time to dig up some pictures and get them on a site so I can link them and I'll keep you all updated on the progress. I hope to have a few pics up by later this afternoon or evening. And thanks for the warm welcome to Dis here board!

Yensid74, I first seriously began researching a Fairy Tale Weddings’ vow renewal in the 1999/2000 timeframe. At some point thereafter, your grandparents’ info went up on the official Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings website. I remember reading their story and being in awe. Your grandparents had reached the 50-year milestone and had decided to celebrate their life, love, and marriage in a most fun and unique way. I thought it was the most romantic & sentimental thing that I had ever heard of.

I was affiliated with a different website back then, and it was the talk of the website. Everyone wanted to know who the Dobo's were and how they had planned their wonderful celebration. I remember searching the Internet for information and did read a brief interview with the Dobo’s daughter (I think it was their daughter, and if it was, perhaps it was your mother?). The article was either about vacation destinations or destination weddings (I can't remember which since it was so long ago), and the woman who was interviewed gave a little more information than what was found on the Disney website. But that was all that I could find.

During the past few years, every now and then I would find myself blindly searching the Internet in hopes that someone had finally gotten around to posting the story of the Dobo’s 50th wedding anniversary. I always struck out. That is, until this morning when I saw your post. I can’t tell you how excited I was to hear that I might finally get my wish to read about their fairy tale, ~sigh.~

My parents just reached the 50 year milestone and are having their closest friends & loved ones fly into Chicago over the holidays for a few celebrations. (Click here to see my parents at my 20th wedding anniversary last year.) My Dad doesn't know anything about this yet because he didn't want any sort of fuss being made over his wedding anniversary, but my Mom has decided that 50 years is worthy of a little fun and has been planning things on the sly. I am very excited about being there to honor the two people who I love more than anything in the world. Everything good about me has come from them. They have taught me the basics, like right from wrong, but more importantly, they have taught me to have compassion for my fellow human beings. That’s a tall order to fill and for that I am truly in their debt.

Please start a new thread and post as many of the details of your grandparents’ wedding anniversary celebration as you can. I know everyone here would love to read all about it.

Janet

I have found a few scrapbooks with our itinerary and a few pictures for now.. We have just moved so quite a few things are still in boxes. I had an idea though. We had an awesome videographer document pretty much our entire trip while we were there. The question I have is where is a good website to host this video once I can get it uploaded?

yensid74 said:
The question I have is where is a good website to host this video once I can get it uploaded?

Google has a video site. It's where I'm starting to put a few of my videos. Check it out. And hurry it up, will ya?! (Just kiddin' ;) )

I happened to stumble upon this at work and was absolutely amazed at how complete strangers (except for one) had so many wonderful things to say about my grandparents! It was truly a once in a lifetime celebration and I would give anything to celebrate it with them again as they are no longer with us. They passed their love for Disney down through our generations and I hope someday I can do the same for my children/ grandchildren. Again, it really made my day to happen upon this thread and see all the amazing things said about my grandparents! If anyone sees this and happens to have the original article written about them I would love to get a copy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!