Looking for resort suggestions

Amy M

DIS Veteran
I am looking for resort suggestions for my next family trip to WDW. We will be traveling next summer. My girls will be 10 and 8. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans Riverside, Coronado Springs, and Pop Century. We build resort time into each trip and my girls help me choose the resort based on the pool. They love water slides!!! I would love to hear some resort suggestions for our next trip. We love to try different resorts each trip.

What about Saratoga Springs? I agree that Beach Club has a fantastic pool, but if water slides are what your girls really love, take a look at Saratoga Springs. They have two major pools with large water slides. So, at the other resorts, they will have one fun water slide, but at SSR, they have two to choose from. My family and are divided on which one is the best, but all agree that both are excellent.

I am looking for resort suggestions for my next family trip to WDW. We will be traveling next summer. My girls will be 10 and 8. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans Riverside, Coronado Springs, and Pop Century. We build resort time into each trip and my girls help me choose the resort based on the pool. They love water slides!!! I would love to hear some resort suggestions for our next trip. We love to try different resorts each trip.
Based on where you've previously stayed, I think AKL would be a good fit for you. The resort has a beautiful, zero-entry pool with a pretty great water slide. Some of the rooms offer bunk beds which may be a bonus so your girls don't have to share. The only drawback I personally see for AKL is transportation since it's bus only, but that may not be a factor for you since you build in resort time. Have fun choosing!

Based on where you've previously stayed, I think AKL would be a good fit for you. The resort has a beautiful, zero-entry pool with a pretty great water slide. Some of the rooms offer bunk beds which may be a bonus so your girls don't have to share. The only drawback I personally see for AKL is transportation since it's bus only, but that may not be a factor for you since you build in resort time. Have fun choosing!

My DD7 loves water slides but thought the one at the pool at Jambo was really boring. The slide at the Kidani pool was a bit better but we didn't like the actual pool as much.

If they love water slides, I would consider BC (long slide through a pirate ship mast!), Poly (slide through a volcano!) or BWI (a twirling slide that looks like a roller coaster - one of the faster slides on property).

Poly! My two oldest kids loved AKL, until we stayed at Poly last week. We all fell in love and they loved the slide. It's through a volcano and, actually, pretty intense for a hotel pool slide (too scary for my 5 year old). The big bonus is being able to see the MK fireworks from the pool area.

Last edited:
What about Saratoga Springs? I agree that Beach Club has a fantastic pool, but if water slides are what your girls really love, take a look at Saratoga Springs. They have two major pools with large water slides. So, at the other resorts, they will have one fun water slide, but at SSR, they have two to choose from. My family and are divided on which one is the best, but all agree that both are excellent.
I had never thought of SSR...I'll have to look into that one! Thanks!

Poly! My two oldest kids loved AKL, until we stayed at Poly last week. We all fell in love and they loved the slide. It's through a volcanos and, actually, pretty intense for a hotel pool slide (too scary for my 5 year old). The big bonus is being able to see the MK fireworks from the pool area.
We showed them the pool at Poly when we were there in June eating at Ohana and they loved it. Thanks!

AKL and BC are awesome and the pools are amazing! They have great games for the kids during the day and movies at night. The atmosphere at AK is so cool. At BC you can walk to Epcot and HS. Look into renting DVC points - we have done it 4 times and always get great pricing. This September we will be at the Boardwalk for 4 nights for around $750 (I think a bit less). You would have a small kitchenette that is nice with kids.

Beach Club and Yacht Club share the phenomenal Stormalong Bay pool complex. It has a huge, pirate-themed water slide that is unsurpassed at any other WDW resort. It also has a lazy river, mini whirlpool, sandy bottom pool, and 3 hot tubs. Best of all, access to Stormalong Bay is restricted to resort guests by Magic Band (scanned by a CM, not just a gate), so there are no crashers to overcrowd the pool complex.

Another is Animal Kingdom Lodge, which gives all guests (regardless of whether they stay at Jambo House or Kidani Village) access to both sets of its feature pools. The feature pool at Jambo is huge, has a water slide, backs up to a savanna, and has a big, shady hot tub. The feature pool & hot tub at Kidani are a bit smaller but there is a better spiral water slide, and a young kids' water play area. It gives some variety to be able to use both pools during your stay. They are within walking distance (7-10 minute walk), or you can take the resort's free shuttle.

Polynesian Resort has a nice pool & Volcano-themed slide, but I found the pool crowded the time we were there. The Boardwalk also has a nice spiral slide, but its pool isn't huge, and you have to be okay with clowns to enjoy that pool, as the base of the slide is a giant, open clown's mouth.

Last edited:
Are you getting park hopper tickets? You can add the water parks onto the park hoppers for like 17 bucks a ticket. You could go to the water parks multiple times during your trip to get your water slide fix.

Great idea about water parks! The resorts that have good slides are YC/BC, BWI, Poly, and CR. I've never seen SSR as I haven't stayed in any DVC. I also like the GF slide!!

Are you getting park hopper tickets? You can add the water parks onto the park hoppers for like 17 bucks a ticket. You could go to the water parks multiple times during your trip to get your water slide fix.
We will probably add the water park to our tickets next year. We did both water parks in 2016 and we all loved them!

Beach Club and Yacht Club share the phenomenal Stormalong Bay pool complex. It has a huge, pirate-themed water slide that is unsurpassed at any other WDW resort. It also has a lazy river, mini whirlpool, sandy bottom pool, and 3 hot tubs. Best of all, access to Stormalong Bay is restricted to resort guests by Magic Band (scanned by a CM, not just a gate), so there are no crashers to overcrowd the pool complex.

Another is Animal Kingdom Lodge, which gives all guests (regardless of whether they stay at Jambo House or Kidani Village) access to both sets of its feature pools. The feature pool at Jambo is huge, has a water slide, backs up to a savanna, and has a big, shady hot tub. The feature pool & hot tub at Kidani are a bit smaller but there is a better spiral water slide, and a young kids' water play area. It gives some variety to be able to use both pools during your stay. They are within walking distance (7-10 minute walk), or you can take the resort's free shuttle.

Polynesian Resort has a nice pool & Volcano-themed slide, but I found the pool crowded the time we were there. The Boardwalk also has a nice spiral slide, but its pool isn't huge, and you have to be okay with clowns to enjoy that pool, as the base of the slide is a giant, open clown's mouth.
Beach Club and Yacht Club seem to be a common suggestion. We have looked at the pool complex there after dining at the BWI. It looks amazing. Good to hear that they actually scan magic bands. I could see where people would try to crash that pool complex!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter