Looking for May advice

Koopaloop

Earning My Ears
So I'm pretty sure we've decided to travel to Aulani in mid-May 2018! How are the weather/crowds during that time? Also, is there usually a room discount on the regular hotel rooms? If I book a room now, can I add a discount to it if one becomes available? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!!

May is a great time of year to be there. We were at Aulani in May this year and the year before. Great weather. Can't comment on crowd level as I've got nothing to compare it to other than an February and an April Aulani trip. Didn't really see a difference.

Strongly suggest you look into renting DVC points rather than staying in a regular hotel room there. Its nice to have the kitchen facilities and you get free parking. Plus you'll probably find its cheaper.

Thanks for the reply! I've thought about renting DVC points before, but I just don't think it will be the best option for us. I don't like that it's nonrefundable and that we wouldn't get daily housekeeping. Plus, we wouldn't even use the kitchen facilities. I would like free parking though!

Thanks for the reply! I've thought about renting DVC points before, but I just don't think it will be the best option for us. I don't like that it's nonrefundable and that we wouldn't get daily housekeeping. Plus, we wouldn't even use the kitchen facilities. I would like free parking though!

FWIW, some DVC rental brokers offer cancel for any reason insurance that you could purchase to take care of the non-refundable hesitation. You can also opt to pay for daily housekeeping or daily trash & towel service. We weren't sure about the lack of daily housekeeping either, but it ended up being a small sacrifice for the overall savings. We got a full cleaning on day 4, which was really like day 3 for us since we arrived late in the afternoon on our first day. So you'd get that as well. We stayed in a studio so only had a small kitchenette, which was useful for quick and easy breakfasts and drinks. IMO, Aulani doesn't have a great variety of food and it's very expensive, so to have some easy/cheap things to supplement that in the room came in handy.

Don't rule out renting DVC until you price it out, at least! Consider the cost of a hotel room plus parking against renting points with free parking. You may be surprised at the difference - we sure were!

We were in Hawaii the second half of May, with the second week on Oahu, and the weather was ideal for the entire trip. It was our first time in Hawaii so I don't know what is usual for that time, but I do know that since all the schools are out at the end of May, there is very little avaialbility starting the first of June, so a May vacation just seemed to hit the sweet spot for crowds and weather. BTW - We are DVC members and had a 1-BR, Standard view. We saved a ton of points by forgoing a Garden/Pool/Ocean view and it was the best choice we could have made, since we were mostly there to see the island anyway. That said, having the full kitchen was great. But if it just doesn't work for you, then I'm sure you will have a great time. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I've researched DVC rentals before and I just don't think I'm ready to pull that trigger. I guess I just don't want to save money lol. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter