Looking for advice

disneydreamkate

DIS Veteran
I will have a party of nine traveling Presidents Week 2019. We will be booking a 2 bdrm villa for five nights and most likely will reserve a cash studio at the resort we choose. Right now AK Kidani, SS, OKW and BR WL are available based on the points we can use. Of the four, we have only stayed at Kidani. My party includes my husband, children and their two guests (13, 13, 21, 24, 24), my dad who will have a scooter and not be able to do much more than a few hours at a park, and his girlfriend. Of the four resorts, which would you recommend based on the ages of guests and limited mobility of my dad? He will only be there two full days and one night. Which resort has the most to see and do??

I will have a party of nine traveling Presidents Week 2019. We will be booking a 2 bdrm villa for five nights and most likely will reserve a cash studio at the resort we choose. Right now AK Kidani, SS, OKW and BR WL are available based on the points we can use. Of the four, we have only stayed at Kidani. My party includes my husband, children and their two guests (13, 13, 21, 24, 24), my dad who will have a scooter and not be able to do much more than a few hours at a park, and his girlfriend. Of the four resorts, which would you recommend based on the ages of guests and limited mobility of my dad? He will only be there two full days and one night. Which resort has the most to see and do??

Sounds like a fun family trip!:cutie: I was going to suggest OKW for the extra room and 2 queens in the 2nd bedroom until I read your last line. I would recommend BWV or BCV probably but you did not list those. SSR and OKW do have boats to Disney Springs, and if in Congress Park (I think that's right, I hardly ever stay at SSR), one can walk or ride a scooter directly to DS.

Boulder Ridge would have both buses and boats to MK. Be SURE to let MS know if you dad cannot do stairs, which I assume if he has limited mobility. They need to notate the special needs for him. Good luck! Others will have add'l great info for you. :sunny:

I was also going to mention boardwalk villas since it is on the boardwalk and close to Epcot and has easy water transport to Hollywood studios. I don’t think beach club would be quite as interesting for them since it is across the lake from the boardwalk. I would say that Kidani village or Jambo house are excellent choices. Depending on what you like to do. Wonderful lobby in Jambo house, go to pool, Interesting things to look at, and some very good restaurants. SSR or OKW Don’t have very much stuff on property that would be interesting, other than a pool and other typical stuff. But they are relatively close to Disney springs with water taxi service. So if that would be something you want then it is a definite plus.

What park(s) is your Dad going to try to visit in his 2 days there?

How much do you know about your kids guests? My experience with kids friends is that it is very possible (or rather highly likely) that they are not as "Disney" as we are. Are the 13 year olds going to be allowed to go off on their own?

Teens and 20 somethings could be more interested in Disney Springs than the parks. If you go SSR preferred and request Congress Park, the walk (or scooter ride) to DS is really great.

Your Dad would probably enjoy just hanging out at AK, but the "kids" may only be interested in animal viewing and the ambiance for a short while. My kids would be bored in about 2 hours. lol

If you happen to know that your kids are going to want to spend a lot of their time at MK and are the type to enjoy hitting the monorail loop to shop and explore all the resorts, watch some fireworks from TOTWL etc.... BRV could be a really good compromise since all that is close by and the resort itself is so beautiful (for Dad's downtime). And if Dad is only going to visit MK.....bonus!

Also if you're getting the studio for Dad and gf, but they are going to be around 2 full days, you might want to talk to MS about your room accommodating your Dad's mobility needs as well. I assume he may need or want to spend some time before check in or after check out with you in your room.......?

Thanks all. My dad may do Epcot but I’m not sure yet. Last year we rented a 2 bedroom at beach club when he came to stay with us and that was very convenient. Unfortunately no Epcot resorts are available for our dates. I plan to wait list both BLT and BWV no matter which resort we choose today. The 13 year olds will be able to explore the resort on their own and enjoy the pool. We will probably allow them to go off on their own in the park and then meet back up with us. My older kids (in their 20s) might not be that interested in DS-they are more park people. :) I was think my dad might enjoy DS though as he’s never been. I think I’ve narrowed it to AKV or BR. The third bath at Kidani sure would be nice, but I always feel like getting around is more off hassle from there...

I agree that the transportation to AKV always seems like a hassle but it really isn't much worse than the buses at other resorts. The larger significantly larger villa at OKW could be useful, but only a few buildings have elevators. OKW also has two real beds in a studio. I'm thinking OKW or SSR so your dad can enjoy DS.

BWV only has lockoff two bedroom villas if that makes a difference.

I'd look at BW because if he takes a break from the parks and rests and wants to do something else , BW has some options such as restaurants and bars and such.

AK is also good since it also has bars and restaurants and the animals but it pretty far out so the travel time may not be ideal in this case

We stayed at Kidani a number of years ago...savanna view. LOVED the room and the whole resort. As I'm sure you have read, the treks down the hall can be torturous......:guilty:.......It doesn't seem so bad going, but, after a long day at the parks, getting from the elevator to the room will make you whine (if you have a remote room...ours was next to last in that wing). I think the biggest suites are at the very end of the hall, but that's just from memory.

I won't address the other resorts since I have no knowledge.

I will have a party of nine traveling Presidents Week 2019. We will be booking a 2 bdrm villa for five nights and most likely will reserve a cash studio at the resort we choose. Right now AK Kidani, SS, OKW and BR WL are available based on the points we can use.

I would go for AKV-Kidani because of that extra bathroom you mentioned. Also, the living room is bigger there than at VWL or SSR. With 9 people (at least for part of the trip), I'd say that space is a critical component, and the extra value of the third full bathroom throws it towards AKV for me.

I think I’ve narrowed it to AKV or BR. The third bath at Kidani sure would be nice, but I always feel like getting around is more off hassle from there...

I wouldn't say that getting around at AKV-K is a hassle, but it certainly can take a little more time to get places. VWL is a great resort, my personal favorite, but if I had a group of 9 people in a 2BR I would probably look elsewhere.

I plan to wait list both BLT and BWV no matter which resort we choose today.

BLT also has that 3rd bathroom. Good luck with whatever resort you choose. It sounds like it will be a great trip! :)

Thanks all! When the booking day got here (Tuesday) BR wasn't available so it made my decision to choose Kidani much easier. LOL I am however waitlisted for BLT and Boardwalk. Fingers crossed one happens to work out for us-but either way, I'm very excited about our trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter